Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Compare the curriculum of your average for-profit school versus a non-profit or state school and then tell me which one is more focused on training students for jobs that America really needs. You don't find Lapland Literary Studies or Feminist Grievance-Nurturing & Navel-Gazing programs at the for-profit schools.
Drover,

Pleas let me know if you even went to college. Seriously, did you? If not, how would you know the utility of any of the courses that you mentioned.

Someone can do a college degree in pretty much anything in a four year school and come out with skills that are marketable. Those include thinking critically (something you don't see much of on this forum), research, advanced writing, presentation skills, etc.

The United States is regarded as having the best college in the world. The problem with this country is that people can't afford them, haven't saved for them and we're dependent upon the foreign students who come in to stay here in order for our industries to work.

The problem isn't the schools, the problem is an overall lack of education. People wasting money on a useless pseudo-college does nothing helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Drover,

Pleas let me know if you even went to college. Seriously, did you? If not, how would you know the utility of any of the courses that you mentioned.

Someone can do a college degree in pretty much anything in a four year school and come out with skills that are marketable. Those include thinking critically (something you don't see much of on this forum), research, advanced writing, presentation skills, etc.

The United States is regarded as having the best college in the world. The problem with this country is that people can't afford them, haven't saved for them and we're dependent upon the foreign students who come in to stay here in order for our industries to work.

The problem isn't the schools, the problem is an overall lack of education. People wasting money on a useless pseudo-college does nothing helpful.
There are legions of liberal arts grads who do not share your opinion re: "marketable skills." Any more, undergraduate college is more of a gatekeeping process than useful preparation for the workforce. When you need a college degree to apply for a secretary position, the process has been skewed.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well everyone knows that governement entities (local/state/federal) should always come first over private entitles.
I believe this has already been said, but not all private colleges are for-profit. In fact, most of the reputable ones aren't, e.g. the Ivies, the nationally ranked liberal arts colleges, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
I'm with Obama on this one. These for profit "colleges" are predatory scams that promise students a fast track to a high paying job and leave them with a huge debt for a substandard education. Better training at a much lower price is available at your local community college.
Exactly!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eh no, it can't just be "some bs industry nonsense." It has to be accredited by a body that is approved by the Department of Education.
I too tired to think straight. I walking myself back out of this conversation.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Nonsequitur. If they're unaccredited their students aren't even eligible for federal financial aid so this regulation wouldn't apply. Try again.
If I was Sen. Kyl, I would respond that my post wasn't intended upon being a factual statement. Since I'm human, I can say that that particular word was a mistake but it doesn't negate the rest of the post.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 PM

401 posts, read 473,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
President Obama and his education secretary are facing a bipartisan revolt from almost 300 lawmakers, an inspector general's investigation and several lawsuits over a proposed crackdown on for-profit colleges, which train people for jobs ranging from plumbers to computer technicians.

There seems to be a big urgency here to go after for-profit colleges who educate a high number of African-American and Hispanic people in our communities," Harry Alford, the head of the National Black Chamber of Commerce, told Fox News. "And for some reason, it's full speed ahead."

If your student loan payments make up more than about 8 per cent of your monthly income, the school can't get federal financial aid anymore," Andrews said. "It sort of knocks the school out of business."
Critics say most community colleges and universities couldn't pass that standard either, but aren't being asked to.
"There are first-year residents from Harvard Medical School whose student loan payments eat up 20 or 25 percent of their income. Is Harvard Medical School a bad medical school? I sure don't think so," Andrews said.

Read more: Obama Crackdown on For-Profit Colleges Faces Stiff Resistance - FoxNews.com
All of the money that is being "shared" for student loans WILL be given to Government Employees to help pay off their student loans as part of the "let make big government a hay ride" movement.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
All of the money that is being "shared" for student loans WILL be given to Government Employees to help pay off their student loans as part of the "let make big government a hay ride" movement.
Already happening. Many federal student loans can be forgiven after 10 years of working in the public sector -- even if you pick a repayment plan that never touches the principal balance.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Already happening. Many federal student loans can be forgiven after 10 years of working in the public sector -- even if you pick a repayment plan that never touches the principal balance.
citation?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
citation?
Go do 20 seconds worth of Google research. This is widely available information.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Did I see a post that mentioned Harvard and National American University in the same sentence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies