Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,838,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Oh dear God, deal with it, man and female bodies are just different....

didn't I say that I had no problem the way you dress yourself, as long as you know who you are, one more time :

as far as the whole culture thing goes, I have no problem with "guys in dresses"....as long as "he knows he is a guy in a dress"...that he is fully aware that he is a boy they just happens to wear a dress....but if he is doing this to imitate females?...well that is a problem...what if imitations doesn't end and he wants more?...that isn't going to cause confusions?..that your own body is not "right" so you have to scar/modify it to feel good about yourself?

so what defines gender then?...since we are using "cluture" and not "biology" then what are we using?....for example this child likes barbie dolls but happens to be a boy so his gender is....female?...what?...is your gender determined by your interest and behavior...nothing to do with your body?...what?
Sex is not the same as gender. Society defines gender. Hence why different cultures have different gender markers. In West Africa, it's women that sell at the market. In Scotland, men wear kilts (essentially dresses).

Some things, granted, are biological...but not what type of dress. What is biological is that girls are apt to play games that are more social, whereas boys play games that are more physical.

What are considered feminine and masculine behaviors are more societal and less biological.

This isn't a debate...most people that actually have studied this are in agreement that gender is more societal. That's why biology text books never use the word gender in referencing male or female, but rather they use the word sex.

What determines your sex is your body. That is only part of the equation when determining gender roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I always heard that the doctor decided the gender of babies .... that was the purpose of slapping the baby on the butt .... it knocks a certain appendage off of the smart ones.
That's funny right there!

Quote:
What parental abuse you suffered!!!

You know ... sometimes it just doesn't pay to discuss subjects of common sense with those who have none.

How can you have a meaningful discussion with someone who'd ask "Do babies have a gender"? Really ... how can you?

This is just another example of mass psychosis which is manifesting in numerous forms.
^^I like him. He makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
In order to have an accurate discussion about the article, some background of what gender actually is, is needed.
OK, this is our discussion. If the kid has a crank, he is a boy. If the kid has does not, it's a girl.

Discussion over.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,636,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Gender is an outdated social concept.

We've no need of it anymore.
Really? I bet there are many, many more people who hold to this concept than people who call it 'outdated.'

Do you dress a lot in colors identified with the opposite sex?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM

15,109 posts, read 8,661,118 times
Quote:
Sex is not the same as gender. Society defines gender. Hence why different cultures have different gender markers. In West Africa, it's women that sell at the market. In Scotland, men wear kilts (essentially dresses).

Some things, granted, are biological...but not what type of dress. What is biological is that girls are apt to play games that are more social, whereas boys play games that are more physical.

What are considered feminine and masculine behaviors are more societal and less biological.

This isn't a debate...most people that actually have studied this are in agreement that gender is more societal. That's why biology text books never use the word gender in referencing male or female, but rather they use the word sex.

What determines your sex is your body. That is only part of the equation when determining gender roles.
This is a prime example of why liberal thought processes will destroy humanity. Not even the most obvious and simple matters of common sense will be left unmolested.

Gender, in most cases is absolute (there are rare physical exceptions) ... what "role" one chooses has nothing to do with it.

If it has a shell ... it's not a lizard ... it's a freaking turtle. If it has a penis, it's a freaking male ... not a female ... wearing high heels won't change that.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM

545 posts, read 400,943 times
Quote:

So if I am getting this right a girl can have a masculine gender?

A Male with a feminine gender....

and both Feminine/Masculine are genders which are social constructs of a culture....ok....I get that..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM

545 posts, read 400,943 times
Quote:
This is a prime example of why liberal thought processes will destroy humanity. Not even the most obvious and simple matters of common sense will be left unmolested.

Gender, in most cases is absolute (there are rare physical exceptions) ... what "role" one chooses has nothing to do with it.

If it has a shell ... it's not a lizard ... it's a freaking turtle. If it has a penis, it's a freaking male ... not a female ... wearing high heels won't change that.
I think what he is trying to say is a girl can have a masculine gender?

and both Feminine/Masculine are genders which are social constructs of a culture...

I know, doesn't make much sense but at least that is what I hope he is trying say..if not...they you are right...humanity is screwed..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

People should not post about things that they have no idea about.
Gender is a range of characteristics distinguishing between male/masculinity and female/femininity, particularly in the cases of men and women. Depending on the context, the discriminating characteristics vary from sex to social role to gender identity. Sexologist John Money introduced the terminological distinction between biological sex and gender as a role in 1955.

Gender is NOT SEX.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
I think what he is trying to say is a girl can have a masculine gender?

and both Feminine/Masculine are genders which are social constructs of a culture...

I know, doesn't make much sense but at least that is what I hope he is trying say..if not...they you are right...humanity is screwed..
Gender roles are societal. Gender roles really is what the article focuses. The sex of the child is not being revealed, but the child is non gender normative. Thus, the child may do things that are typically male or female.

GENDER ROLES, what people is a male characteristic or female is societal. It's pretty damn easy.

If you you don't understand HUMANITY is screwed.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times
Quote:

The issue is not about gender. It's about gender stereotypes. The family doesn't want stereotypes being imposed on their children. They have two boys and have seen people trying to impose gender stereotypes on those two children. Since asking people not to impose gender stereotypes doesn't work, they are simply not telling people what gender their child is. It doesn't take away a gender from their child, at all. It simply takes the momentum away from people who want to give little girls dolls to play with and little boys trucks to play with. In this case, the child gets to decide what to play with. The child gets to decide what his or her favorite color is. The child gets to choose how to wear his or her hair.

Really, isn't that what conservativism is all about? Individual freedom. It doesn't hurt anyone if a little boy likes to eat ice cream. So no one complains about that. It doesn't hurt anyone if a little boy likes to wear pink. But people do complain about that.

These parents are simply removing the basis for people to complain. They aren't mutilating their child. They aren't removing the child's gender. They just aren't telling YOU or ME or ANYBODY WHOSE BUSINESS THIS AIN'T, what the child's gender is. What's funny is that I'm fine with that. It's none of my business, I understand what the parents are trying to do, I respect that they have the right to do this. And the conservatives, the "get government out of our lives" conservatives, are all up in arms, how dare they deprive us of the right to impose ourselves in their lives! We have the right to make little girls play with dolls. We have the right to call little boys who like to wear jewelry and pink clothers "pansies" and "wimps" and other insults, just to force the child to comply with what we think they should like based on their gender. We have the right to call little girls offensive names when they try to do little boy things. Conformity is our mantra! YOU SHALL CONFORM OR BE PUNISHED!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM

15,109 posts, read 8,661,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
That's funny right there!

^^I like him. He makes sense.

OK, this is our discussion. If the kid has a crank, he is a boy. If the kid has does not, it's a girl.

Discussion over.
And so do you my friend ..... so do you! Which is why you now need to heavily arm yourself for the "senseless" onslaught coming your way

Let me make a prophetic prediction .... those liberals are so predictable ...

"A penis doesn't make a man a man"

"Biological Sex and Gender are two separate issues"

"Traditional gender is outdated" (oops ... that one was already used).

Wanna know what the REAL source of this confusion is? The loony left have so convinced themselves that up is really down ... they now live their lives standing on their heads.

How does that explain the confusion? Very simple. Gender is identified by simple examination, from the waist down. If you are standing on your head ... you miss the simple clues inherent in that process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies