Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Whatever you do, don't think your case (which I can't confirm anyway, it is simply what you claim) is typical. Most people can't afford to act that way no matter how good they are at their job.

I pick the market I wish to and price my services accordingly.

Yes, a stellar reputation lets me pick and choose who I want to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
There are a million reasons why a small business can fail. Why add more variables with uncertainty about tax policy?

LOL @ people thinking the US is a "low-tax" country. LOL indeed.
That's ridiculous reasoning. The most anyone had been talking about is an extra 3% added to the marginal upper-income tax-rate.

Taxes are paid on profits. If this guy's business doesn't make a profit, tax rates are irrelevant. If it makes less than $250,000 in profit, the upper bracket tax-rates are also irrelevant. If his business makes $260,000 in profits, his additional tax would be no more on the $250K and an $300 on the $10,000 profit above $250K -- hardly anything to lose sleep over.

As I said, it's a nonsensical argument. Compared to the risk businesses take on whether they have the right products or services to sell, taxes are a low priority.

If one wants to make money but not take risk, invest in T-bills.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's ridiculous reasoning. The most anyone had been talking about is an extra 3% added to the marginal upper-income tax-rate.

Taxes are paid on profits. If this guy's business doesn't make a profit, tax rates are irrelevant. If it makes less than $250,000 in profit, the upper bracket tax-rates are also irrelevant. If his business makes $260,000 in profits, his additional tax would be $300 on a $260,000 profit -- hardly anything to lose sleep over.

As I said, it's a nonsensical argument. Compared to the risk businesses take on whether they have the right products or services to sell, taxes are a low priority.

If one wants to make money but not take risk, invest in T-bills.
Wow....T-bills are not so great now either....

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I pick the market I wish to and price my services accordingly.

Yes, a stellar reputation lets me pick and choose who I want to work for.
I have a very good reputation, but still, if for lack of time I said no to a client or charged exaggerated prices, they would simply never come to me again (which might be a problem later on during an economic crisis for instance) as there are others in my field who are also very good at it.

Most people don't work in niches where they could afford elitist behavior.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow....T-bills are not so great now either....
The point is, if you don't want to take risk, don't expect more return than the risk-free rate. If you want more return, then one must take risks.

The idea that a business, which by its nature take risks, paralyzed because they fear tax-risk is silly. Airlines invest billions on new planes not knowing whether there are going to be passengers to fill the seats; stock investors have no guarantee that stocks will rise; retailers take a risk on fashion and color selection; banks take risks on borrowers; car manufacturers take the risk on a new model vehicle, etc., etc.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The point is, if you don't want to take risk, don't expect more return than the risk-free rate. If you want more return, then one must take risks.

The idea that a business, which by its nature take risks, paralyzed because they fear tax-risk is silly. Airlines invest billions on new planes not knowing whether there are going to be passengers to fill the seats; stock investors have no guarantee that stocks will rise; retailers take a risk on fashion and color selection; banks take risks on borrowers; car manufacturers take the risk on a new model vehicle, etc., etc.
There's always risk involved. As risk goes up, expansion goes down. Nobody is saying there aren't risks. We're saying that the government should do everything possible to minimize and not maximize these risks.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You are ... ignoring the entire issue behind this thread.
This is where I think you are wrong. The entire issue of this thread is this one guys concern about expanding his successful business. Seriously, just look at the title of this thread.
The business world is diverse. The climate is less than perfect. There are good and bad businesses just like there are good and bad business people. You want to lump all businesses with a swish of a broad brush stroke. That is not what this thread is about, whether you can except it or not. This thread was/is about a guy that does not want to expand his successful business because of unknown risks in the future. Who can blame him? Not me. Like I have said several times, he chooses not to grow. More power to him. He is successful all the same.

Quote:
Because you're not even debating.
We cannot debate until we are on the same page. Do you want to discuss this guys business practices or not? (I think not. You want to discuss in general and broad terms.)
Quote:
You are picking one single word out of the original post and repeating it over and over
I am not picking out one single word repeated over and over. The premise of this thread is about one guy and his business. It is you who wants to drift off topic, not I.
Quote:
you refuse to even make an attempt to grasp a very basic concept of business
The very concept of business is obviously clear here. This guy knows when to hold 'em and knows when to show 'em. It is crystal clear ... he is successful. He hesitates in growing his successful business in these troubling times. I can understand that.(Is that what you want to hear?)

By the way .... the "just shut up" comment was awesome. True colors shining through .......

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
The premise of this thread is about one guy and his business.
The premise of this thread was the bigger picture as is shown in this particular instance. Do you really think the entire world is so concerned with this one guy? Is he some type of celebrity? It's very obvious that the whole purpose of this article, and this thread, was that this guy was an example of a business owner who was hesitant to hire. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
By the way .... the "just shut up" comment was awesome. True colors shining through .......
The shut up comment was referring to those who won't even make the tiniest mental effort to understand the issue that business owners are facing in this economy.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
It's very obvious that the whole purpose of this article, and this thread, was that this guy was an example of a ..
successful
Quote:
... business owner who was hesitant to hire. If you can't
[
include
Quote:
... that then I can't help you.
You are attempting to use a successful businessman as an example of a poor business atmosphere. If you cannot see that, then, it is I that cannot help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies