Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
What can the military do? Tell them they are not allowed to attend or enroll with a school they want to?
That's exactly what they can do, and in fact they do. The Department of Veterans Affairs maintains a list of approved schools that GI Bill funds can be applied toward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The point is that these for profit schools have intentionally targeted veterans to take advantage of their GI bill funding. These schools have hired extra recruiters for the specific purpose of deceiving these veterans of war into enrolling.

It is difficult to discern the quality of an institute of higher learning if one has been out of the academic environment for some time as veterans have been.
Yes, you've already made it clear how little you think of veterans' ability to think for themselves. But I'm sure they'll appreciate that you're looking after them.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, you've already made it clear how little you think of veterans' ability to think for themselves. But I'm sure they'll appreciate that you're looking after them.

If someone gets ripped off, you would accuse them of being unable to think for themselves?

I am against anyone being deceived by these for profit colleges. However, it is especially grievous to take advantage of those who risked life and limb for our country!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
I'd rather have no degree at all than a pseudo-degree from some for-profit school. I'd be about as unemployable as someone who went to the University of Phoenix, but at least I would be relatively debt-free while being broke as a joke. Fortunately, I knew better and used my GI Bill on a real college.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Actually, University of Phoenix is accredited...and widely accepted.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Your post is a classic example of how veterans can get ripped off.....misinformation perpetrated by the for profit university/college.

Quote:
Let my start by saying that I was an enrollment advisor for University of Phoenix Online, and AXIA/WIU Online under Apollo Group for 3 years.
Quote:
UOP Online is Accredited by the North Central Association of the Higher Learning Commission (Perdue Shares the same body as do many other schools) However, this really does not mean anything.
Quote:
Yes, UOP has their programs screened and verified by the HLC, but their accreditation is not reviewed for years. What most people do not realize is that it is extremely hard to loose accreditation once you have it. There is no active monitoring of courses or instructors. Any audits that take place require UOP be given advanced warning.
Quote:
This means that can basically provide sub-par courses for outrageous prices. Yes, their classes are a joke.
Rip-off Report | University Of Phoenix | Complaint Review: 150301

See also:
University of Phoenix Rip-Off Report | University Essay Experts

Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Quote:
Accredited, widely accepted, and generally speaking still does not carry the weight of a degree from a Tier 1 institution (of which many cost far less per credit hour than for-profits). But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
When it comes to accreditation UoP is not regionally accredited, which is what matters when it comes to degrees.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Sounds like there are some U of P alumni here.

Sorry to break the news to you guys, your degree is about as valuable as a prize in a crackerjack box.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
When it comes to accreditation UoP is not regionally accredited, which is what matters when it comes to degrees.
Yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies