Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So either the world is more tolerant or I'll kill myself. Yep makes sense. I guess everybody who is made fun of at one time in their life should kill themselves. Oops nobody left. Maybe move to gilligan's island by yourself and all will be well.
I get so sick of the victim mentality. People can be mean. Waaaaaaaaaah! The world cannot be blamed for people who have poor coping skills.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Since we have threads on this board both dehumanizing gay people and trivializing gay teen suicide by posters with an obvious anti-gay agenda; I thought it only appropriate to bring the human element into the equation.

Let's face facts some level of homophobia is indeed ingrained into our culture.

This is evidenced by the United States Government's public policies such as D.A.D.T and D.O.M.A. By enforcing these policies the government is sending a message that gays are second class citizens with second class rights.....inferior to other citizens; although we are graciously allowed to pay equal taxes among our peers.

The general population and especially our youth pick up on this message and bullying, violence and demeaning behaviour against gays is the result.....in turn driving up the gay bullying and gay teen suicide rates.

Add to the mix SOME religious and conservative groups spreading lies and misinformation about the LGBT community and now you have an equation for "disaster".

This is evidenced by the very recent murder of a 4 year old boy perceived to be gay.......by a religious and homophobic zealot.

PLEASE read this suicide note in it's entirety.....it opens a window upon the world that a young man had to live in on a daily basis. He was spit on....threatened both verbally and physically.....had f****t painted repeatedly on his locker......received death threats....etcetera.

His tormentors LEARNED this behaviour from their peers....their parents.....our society....our government....some religious institutions and conservative groups, etcetera. Actually these groups are sometimes condoning the negative treatment of gays....frankly even encouraging it.

All one needs to do is read threads in this forum and the "truth" will be staring you in the face. The same obsessed posters rant daily with their anti-gay agenda and I for one am extremely sick of tolerating these twisted and sick people.

IF you don't bother to read the young man's suicide note than please don't waste my time and yours responding to this thread!

WARNING........EXPLICIT LANGUAGE......

The teen was distraught and venting his anger and hopelessness.

Hopefully this will bring the humanity back into our debates and people will realize that this kid was not just a statistic but a young man who could not endure the terror society dealt him.

Unfortunately we will now never know what he may have contributed to our country because he never reached maturity and is now dead.

Suicide Note of a Gay Teen - Suicide.org!
My sister knows a 26 year old man who just committed suicide that was a homosexual.

Everyone has their problems, everyone has things that make us feel like we don't fit in.

No excuse for suicide. I have no sympathy for anyone who kills themselves.

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
I get your point; however, the big picture is that proactive activism is probably the best response against those being unfair and intolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So either the world is more tolerant or I'll kill myself. Yep makes sense. I guess everybody who is made fun of at one time in their life should kill themselves. Oops nobody left. Maybe move to gilligan's island by yourself and all will be well.

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
In response to the note: Meh, more teenage melodrama. That note could have been written by any teenager picked on for being too fat, too short, too tall, too ginger, etc. For wearing glasses, for having freckles, for being black, white, purple or green. Almost everyone has been picked on. I got it for being small (that changed) and for not fighting back (that changed one day too and that then-kid-now-an-adult is still keeping his teeth in a glass on the nightstand. I guess he feels abused too for what I did to him after he jumped me once too often.)

It's called growing up and learning how to deal with a cruel world. Most go through it in one form or another. Some are just less stable emotionally and tend to be the one the wolves bring down first. It doesn't make it right, but it's reality.

On the up side, teenage angst fuels a billion dollar industry devoted to producing sad songs about not being understood and lost loves.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Two weeks ago a woman jumped off of the building I work in.

Suicide happens to people from all walks of life, and it's an irrational and selfish act.

It is wrong to use this boys pain as an example to push forth your agenda.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Two weeks ago a woman jumped off of the building I work in.

Suicide happens to people from all walks of life, and it's an irrational and selfish act.

It is wrong to use this boys pain as an example to push forth your agenda.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Obviously the teen didn't take the approach of the OP and just label anyone who gave him grief as a homophobe. Seems to be lots of hatred, self-loathing, and projection of same connected with that lifestyle as well as substance abuse. Sometimes, that's called a "clue".

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I get so sick of the victim mentality. People can be mean. Waaaaaaaaaah! The world cannot be blamed for people who have poor coping skills.
i'm sure you'd feel the same way if your kid was demonized for believing in god and offed himself

Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
i'm sure you'd feel the same way if your kid was demonized for believing in god and offed himself
Just like the family of the woman who leaped from the 26th floor of the building I work in, her family was distraught.

It's still no reason to use this kid as an example to make a point about bullying gay teens.

Kids get bullied for all sorts of reasons and they felt the same sense of hopelessness the gay boy did.

That's life. Some can take the lumps and others look for an easy way out.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd just tell my kid not to hang around with lefties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies