Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Yes you are right in the sense that SOME right wings, and SOME religious people do demonize homosexuals in ways that heavy set folk, nerds, kids with glasses are not.

However blacks are discriminated against, and were oppressed at one point in time. They did not kill themselves over it. I asked people to post evidence about that, and no one has. I do know that black people tend to have the lowest rates of suicide, and yet they were the most oppressed at one point in time.

I know this thread is about homosexuality and how the way homosexuals are treated can lead to this outcome. I think the reason why people have responded the way they have, is because this "outcome" (suicide) is not limited to just homosexuals that have been wronged. Of course I do believe that if homosexuals were not treated the way they are, that maybe this sort of incident could have been prevented(who really know's?). But on the other hand a part of me wonders if this teen and other teens that were homosexual that DID commit suicide, committed suicide not completely because of their sexuality but their mental state was not very well either. It is clear that anyone who commits such an act obviously is very troubled. Could it be that the homosexuals committing suicide are depressed and that is what led to the suicide, moreso than how society treated them? Or are you suggesting that society caused these few teens to be depressed which caused their suicides? If this is the case, then why aren't there other gay teenagers committing suicide? Or other individuals, like blacks for instance that are mistreated or discriminated against-- killing themselves?
You must remember the thread is about gay teen suicide....I agree many others commit suicide.

Blacks have FAR more sympathy in our society than gays and SOME blacks can be extremely anti-gay themselves. Now that gays are at the "bottom of the pecking order"....and not them. It is extremely difficult for black males to come out themselves.

I agree...I never killed myself...obviously....but I lived in despair like that kid for years before accepting I was gay. Now I've been with my mate 28 plus years and I'm trying to help gay youth...all youth avoid these additional pressures.

I'd say a majority of gay teens are indeed depressed....wouldn't you be with our society. Afraid your parents will disown you...kick you out etc.....I got disowned for a few years before my parents tolerated me again...it ain't pretty, nor easy....it takes balls.

Many teens do drugs and many gay teens more so, to help numb them to their daily pain....who do you turn to for support and advice. Especially when many schools and parents fight against gay support groups......talking about gays in class, etcetera.

However WHO are WE to judge these people. After all NONE of us has walked a DAY in their shoes.....we cannot be sure how we would react.

I was repeatedly hit with basketballs on my school bus daily because I was gay....5 guys...now I can fight/defend myself but against 5 guys all bigger than me I had no chance...the school and bus driver did nothing.

It interfered with my school work...I finally was purposely late for school every day so I caught the last bus in from the suburbs where the kids were more tolerant and the gay bus driver did not tolerate bullies.

I was strong and fought back in my own way.......like I do here but everyone is different and everyone has different levels of anguish tolerance.

What saddens me is the reaction of many supposed parents here making excuses for their actions and their kids behaviour. In my day parents taught respect and tolerance etc..... but some parents act like school bullies themselves. ..... gay bullying was not nearly as rampant and bad as it is these days.

Thanx for your input.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think all but the die hard activists are tired of it. At least, I would hope so. It makes peaceful discourse impossible.
Actually, the opposite. Homosexuality is more and more accepted. Thus, if you are against the rising tide of equality you are pushed further and further from the general norm. Therefore people are more likely to classify you as homophobic. Not less likely.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
I'm reopening this thread and at the same time have a word of warning: stay on topic and respectful. Remember this is a forum not a chat room. Any attempts at hijacking this thread will be rewarded with at least a 3 day restriction from posting so think whether you really need to say what you want to say.
Yac.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Scientists should study the lack of personal and psychological fortitude in homosexuals. Obviously there's a disconnect somewhere in the brain.

I don't advocate for harsh treatment, but lets be honest. The homosexual suicide rate doesn't just accidentally correlate with homosexuals increasingly coming out of the closet. There has to be a link. Someone should study it.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-11-2011 at 02:43 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Scientists should study the lack of personal and psychological fortitude in homosexuals. Obviously there's a disconnect somewhere in the brain.

I don't advocate for harsh treatment, but lets be honest. The homosexual suicide rate doesn't just accidentally correlate with homosexuals increasingly coming out of the closet. There has to be a link. Someone should study it.
It has been studied.

Let's be honest. The link is stigmatization, discrimination, vilification, rejection by families etc.

Considering most gay people have to put up with the above most of their lives, they must have quite strong "personal and psychological fortitude."

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
People who commit suicide, gay or not, have serious mental issues. Homophobia had nothing to do with this. Actually many, if not most gays have a mental instability problem. There has been a study done that gays don't live as long as heteros because they either commit suicide, OD on drugs or die from AIDS.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Since we have threads on this board both dehumanizing gay people and trivializing gay teen suicide by posters with an obvious anti-gay agenda; I thought it only appropriate to bring the human element into the equation.

snip to save space
oh please

bullying has happend for centuries, and will always happen

braceface
freckleface
four eyes
big ears
how many polish, italian, greek, white, black, gay, jokes are out there??

etc

its just name calling

if the kid off'd himself, then the kid had an emotional problem

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
People who commit suicide, gay or not, have serious mental issues. Homophobia had nothing to do with this. Actually many, if not most gays have a mental instability problem. There has been a study done that gays don't live as long as heteros because they either commit suicide, OD on drugs or die from AIDS.
You mean that long discredited uh..."study" (*cough* propaganda) by anti-gay crusader Paul Cameron from the hate group the Family Research Institute? The deregistered psychologist Paul Cameron? The one who got thrown out of court by a judge for trying to present lies, distortions and misrepresentation about homosexuality?

THAT Paul Cameron? LOL!

Paul Cameron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a little honest research for a change please, instead of mindlessly parroting anti-gay propaganda sites.

Homophobia and stigmatization has everything to do with it. And there has been plenty of reserach to support it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Hm.

Of course I feel like this poor kid was driven over the edge by the intolerance of others and the mistreatment he received.

But if he killed himself, there was probably already some underlying issue there.

Many people have faced adversity and gotten through to the other side. For them, suicide is neither an answer nor ever even an option.

Regardless, it's always sad when someone feels this is his only recourse.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I get so sick of the victim mentality. People can be mean. Waaaaaaaaaah! The world cannot be blamed for people who have poor coping skills.
You speak of a world that doesn't exist, where actions have no consequences. WWI started over one murder. Sometimes people kill themselves because of *ssholes. That's reality. Your mockery of suicide says all one needs to know about the type of person you have chosen to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies