Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Grow up! You have NO clue what it's like having a large segment of society wishing for you to "go away"....because of people like you this kid did just that! .
Where did he go?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Since we have threads on this board both dehumanizing gay people and trivializing gay teen suicide by posters with an obvious anti-gay agenda; I thought it only appropriate to bring the human element into the equation.

Let's face facts some level of homophobia is indeed ingrained into our culture.

This is evidenced by the United States Government's public policies such as D.A.D.T and D.O.M.A. By enforcing these policies the government is sending a message that gays are second class citizens with second class rights.....inferior to other citizens; although we are graciously allowed to pay equal taxes among our peers.

The general population and especially our youth pick up on this message and bullying, violence and demeaning behaviour against gays is the result.....in turn driving up the gay bullying and gay teen suicide rates.

Add to the mix SOME religious and conservative groups spreading lies and misinformation about the LGBT community and now you have an equation for "disaster".

This is evidenced by the very recent murder of a 4 year old boy perceived to be gay.......by a religious and homophobic zealot.

PLEASE read this suicide note in it's entirety.....it opens a window upon the world that a young man had to live in on a daily basis. He was spit on....threatened both verbally and physically.....had f****t painted repeatedly on his locker......received death threats....etcetera.

His tormentors LEARNED this behaviour from their peers....their parents.....our society....our government....some religious institutions and conservative groups, etcetera. Actually these groups are sometimes condoning the negative treatment of gays....frankly even encouraging it.

All one needs to do is read threads in this forum and the "truth" will be staring you in the face. The same obsessed posters rant daily with their anti-gay agenda and I for one am extremely sick of tolerating these twisted and sick people.

IF you don't bother to read the young man's suicide note than please don't waste my time and yours responding to this thread!

WARNING........EXPLICIT LANGUAGE......

The teen was distraught and venting his anger and hopelessness.

Hopefully this will bring the humanity back into our debates and people will realize that this kid was not just a statistic but a young man who could not endure the terror society dealt him.

Unfortunately we will now never know what he may have contributed to our country because he never reached maturity and is now dead.

Suicide Note of a Gay Teen - Suicide.org!

Right.................society is to blame. It is tragic when a young person takes their life and I cannot imagine the agony of the parents. However, to blame "society" is akin to the scene from "Repo Man" in which the young suburban punk attributes his death in the liquor store to "society". Of course, that was comic parody, but it is equally as applicable to the situation described by the OP.

Are you actually suggesting that suicides among gays would be eliminated by the balance of society openly welcoming gay behavior and culture? Of course, that is absurd and is a lack of understanding of the pathophysiology and psychiatric componants of depression and suicide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You are welcome to your opinion. Please be aware that your opinion is not fact. If you think you can judge my overall character and ethics based on internet posts you are lacking logic.
Let me remind you that your opinion is certainly not fact, either.
Everyone has an opinion, just like everyone else has something else.....unfortunately, the opinions of some seem to come from that something else.
Heres a thought, why dont you try to be the better person, and just not post if you dont like the subject, and the opinions?
I guarantee it will save you much grief.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I believe you have hit a nerve, and i am glad for one. It is very sad that so many are so judgemental, and do not treat people equally.

It is very sad to see what one's hatred, and non understanding of gays's leads somes young gays to do, to try and end their lifes. All because those who do not understand it,or fear it, take their anger to the gays themselves. I pity them, and feel sorry for them, for their hatred, and not understanding. Who in the hell is anyone to judge any other person, gay or straight. We are not the judges, but it so appears, that many straight people have made them the judge and the jury when it comes to Gay's. I l loathe peope who think of themselves as God, because they are not, i cannot stand bigots, and it appears there are some even on this forum.
THANX....I know I did, as was my intent. As these people don't bother to even read the note.

Then.....claim I have an agenda....I guess saving lives is some evil agenda.

I am exposing some people for what they truly are......

As is evidenced by their posts.

When this country cannot see that ANY suicide is wrong and that many societal pressures push kids to suicide....then maybe it's time for our country to start working together in peace and harmony and STOP....trying to justify hatred, bullying and violence.

It's sometimes makes me ashamed to be an American.

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Suicidal people suffer from depression, they cannot cope with reality, the notes they leave are to the people who they think are responsible for their problems they wish to get revenge using guilt, it's a selfish act leaving friends and family scarred for life.
The woman who jumped from my building left everyone on the side of the building she jumped from scarred including the poor parking attendant who saw her land below. I posted a thread on the mental health forum called "suicide jumper" if anyone is interested to read it the day it happened.

In the aftermath as I sit here today, I feel a bit more at peace because I learned of her background and life condition. It's still very sad, she was an absolutely beautiful woman physically and to see her you wouldn't think that her life had become so unmanageable to call 911, and take a running leap from a high rise building.

I just don't like people using different suicide scenarios to validate their personal political agendas because suicide is a very private choice that is sometimes exploited in a public way to sway opinion. And that should never ever happen.

1,084 posts, read 1,846,461 times
It's interesting to observe: other minority groups that have been discriminated against in the past, made to feel as though they were outsiders--did they kill themselves as well because they were discriminated against?

If anyone has any information about this please let me know.

I'd just like to understand the correlation that the OP has suggested that institutionalized discrimination leads to suicide amongst those being discriminated against.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Who here is gay and was/is being bullied?

Even better, who here is a minority who is also gay and was/is being bullied?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My sister knows a 26 year old man who just committed suicide that was a homosexual.

Everyone has their problems, everyone has things that make us feel like we don't fit in.

No excuse for suicide. I have no sympathy for anyone who kills themselves.
It's one thing to not fit in...I'm small...short...wear glasses....never bothered me....but the gay thing did.

BUT when you are told you are evil by society, religion, our government etc....that additional pressure can push folks over the edge.

Your post's lack of empathy is frankly revolting and a prime example of what ails our modern society!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
It's one thing to not fit in...I'm small...short...wear glasses....never bothered me....but the gay thing did.

BUT when you are told you are evil by society, religion, our government etc....that additional pressure can ppush folks over the edge.

Your post's lack of empathy is frankly revolting and a prime example of what ails our modern society!
Why did the gay thing bother you? Was it because of other's opinion of gays?

There are people who hate Gypsies, whites, blacks, Asians, the aristocracy, people outside of their religion.

Everyone can't be loved and welcomed with open arms there are stupid people everywhere.

It's not a crime to be ignorant and stupid (sometimes I think it should be).

I might not like homosexual behavior, but it wouldn't stop me from calling 911 if I saw someone beaten up, or help someone fix a flat tire if they were stranded or give them a ride to safety.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
So what message do we glean from the suicides of young heterosexuals? And how is it that the vast majority of gays actually live long happy lives with nary a thought of offing themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies