Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times

Advertisements

LMAO!! It's really depressing that people like her and her husband (and a lot of other looney toons) believe this stuff!

Bible this, Bible that -- oh, only when it doesn't apply to me!

This is wonderful. The religious right is burying themselves deeper and deeper. More people are waking up to realize how awful it is to live under religious opression. It's a good feeling. Eventually, Religion will (and should) be something people keep to themselves and that's it.

This is when we, as a world, can move forward into progress for humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michele Bachmanns actions harm no one, and breaks no laws in our legal system either, but the left consider her exercising her first amendment right, evil..
She obviously has the right to say what she wants, however that doesn't mean others should sit quietly when she makes heinous bigoted statement after heinous bigoted statement.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
This is the lowest of all liberal tactics. I know little about this candidate, or her husband, and this is not in defense of either, but when referring to an article I believe there should be a reasonable expectation to accurately convey what was written. The truth is that Michele Bachmann never said "in her own words", that "Gays are Part of Satan". Blatent lying, in order to present a liberal position, is neither a contribution to intellectual discussion, nor should it be considered acceptable conduct in these forums. I've never reported anyone on these forums, and I don't intend to start, but the mods are definately asleep on this one.

What the candidate actually said, was:

"It's a very sad life. It's part of satan, I think, to say this is gay. It's anything but gay".

When her message is understood in the proper context, it is plain to see that she is simply saying that she believes the homosexual life to be a sad one, having nothing to do with being gay.

Gay meaning, Jovial; happy
Either way, it still shows she's an ignorant bigot. And married to an obvious homosexual man who's trying to hide it be speaking out loudly against gay men. Just pathetic!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The OP uses the linked site's characterization of Bachmann's 2004 statement at the National Education Leadership Conference, in which "gays are a part of satan" is not "in her own words" but rather an interpretation of her words.

A more exact reading of her words would be: "calling homosexuality 'gay' is Satan's ploy."

What do you think "This [homosexuality being called gay] is not funny. It's a very sad life. It's part of Satan, I think, to say this is gay. It's anything but gay" means?

You can Google "Bachmann Satan" to get many results on her statement.
clearly, it means that she is of the opinion that using the word 'gay' to define homosexuality is evil/part of satan. pretty easy stuff here, folks.

the twisted 'interpretation' of the OP is juvenile and dishonest.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
clearly, it means that she is of the opinion that using the word 'gay' to define homosexuality is evil/part of satan. pretty easy stuff here, folks.

the twisted 'interpretation' of the OP is juvenile and dishonest.
Again, she is asserting that homosexuals should not use the word "gay" because homosexuality is "sad". But homosexuality is not "sad". Homosexuals are not "sad" because they are gay. They are just as happy as you or I. Homosexuals may be saddened by Bachmann's insistence that something is wrong with them. But that doesn't make them "sad".

Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
She obviously has the right to say what she wants, however that doesn't mean others should sit quietly when she makes heinous bigoted statement after heinous bigoted statement.
Actually it does. We are afforded rights to be a bigot in america if we want to be one. Hell, the whole left party supports and celebrates bigots time and time again, long as they lean left. Hell, you helped elect one to the White House..

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Actually it does. We are afforded rights to be a bigot in america if we want to be one. Hell, the whole left party supports and celebrates bigots time and time again, long as they lean left.
Your "actually it does", is an assertion that we should be silent when someone argues for bigotry? If the right objects to bigotry on the part of the left, should not the left object to bigotry on the part of the right?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Actually it does.
The First Amendment includes a right to not be contradicted, now?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Any log cabin Republican on here who will vote for this nutcase?

Michele Bachmann in Her Own Words: 'Gays Are Part of Satan'
From Gawker? We all know they make stuff up. Where is the audio/transcript?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Any log cabin Republican on here who will vote for this nutcase?

Michele Bachmann in Her Own Words: 'Gays Are Part of Satan'
Michele on Satan's involvement in homosexuality:
"We need to have profound compassion for the people who are dealing with the very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life, and sexual identity disorders. This is a very real issue. It's not funny, it's sad. Any of you who have members of your family that are in the lifestyle-we have a member of our family that is. This is not funny. It's a very sad life. It's part of Satan, I think, to say this is gay. It's anything but gay."

What has Bachmann allegedly said here...that is not accurate and correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies