Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times

Advertisements

Bachman is a complete whackaloon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Well, Just a quick search and I found this:

Comparative data of childhood and adolescence mole... [Arch Sex Behav. 2001] - PubMed result

I personally do not have a opinion either way, just yet, on the issue of abuse and its relation to homosexuality.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Well, Just a quick search and I found this:

Comparative data of childhood and adolescence mole... [Arch Sex Behav. 2001] - PubMed result

I personally do not have a opinion either way, just yet, on the issue of abuse and its relation to homosexuality.
I did say "credible research that shows that homosexuality is caused by child sexual abuse".

A little more digging on this dissertation shows it has several major flaws and contradictions:

study of child abuse and homosexuality revisited — Warren Throckmorton

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I did say "credible research that shows that homosexuality is caused by child sexual abuse".

A little more digging on this dissertation shows it has several major flaws and contradictions:

study of child abuse and homosexuality revisited — Warren Throckmorton
It makes a good point about the timing of when they were abused in relation to when they considered themselves to have homosexual feelings.

But I am not sure that this washes out the overall point of the study. It certainly would diminish the ratio between straight and gay.

I think, homosexuality is very very complicated and trying to reduce it to genetic determinism is what people, at least me, butt heads with, particularly if there are factors such as abuse contributing to their orientation. I do not think we can say it is one factor or that it is not capable of being understood, as other psychological issues are understood. In saying that the question would still remain as to whether or not it is even needed to be 'treated' as other issues are. Contrary to Bachmann, I am sure many homosexuals have a balanced life, yet alot do not.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
From your article A major study of child abuse and homosexuality revisited — Warren Throckmorton countering mine [emphasis and underlined section mine]:

'The main results — gays report more abuse than straights — may indeed be correct, given the similarity to past studies. However, I do not believe any inferences about causation should be made. Without the actual surveys, there is no way a reader can figure out the results from the journal article and/or the dissertation.

One final thought, the research on sexual abuse among GLBT populations is often misused to make inferences about causation. There are many reasons why this line of research is important but causation is not at the top. Sexual abuse is a profoundly disruptive experience for many people and may contribute to a variety of negative outcomes in adulthood. Finding appropriate clinical and ministry responses may be clouded by focusing on the trauma as a cause of same-sex attraction.'

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
If it comes from the GAWKER then it must be true LOL

Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
I think this would make a GREAT campaign song for Michelle...

‪Michele Bachmann Song‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Part of Satan????

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 PM

204 posts, read 201,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You still have not been able to come up with any credible research that shows that homosexuality is caused by child sexual abuse, yet you keep claiming it over and over.
There is a great deal of research on child sexual abuse and none of it supports your opinion.

On what do you base your opinion? The "junk science" and ignorant prejudiced opinions found on many anti-gay religious propaganda websites? LOL!
I'm sure your attempt at changing the subject, in order to deflect criticism away from the OP, is considered clever among your pals, however, this thread is not about sexual molestation, nor the possible causal factors associated with the homosexual condition.

If you would like to gather responses relating to the long term effects of child sexual abuse, perhaps you should start a thread.

Last edited by Pennsylvanian1; 07-15-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
It makes a good point about the timing of when they were abused in relation to when they considered themselves to have homosexual feelings.

But I am not sure that this washes out the overall point of the study. It certainly would diminish the ratio between straight and gay.

I think, homosexuality is very very complicated and trying to reduce it to genetic determinism is what people, at least me, butt heads with, particularly if there are factors such as abuse contributing to their orientation. I do not think we can say it is one factor or that it is not capable of being understood, as other psychological issues are understood. In saying that the question would still remain as to whether or not it is even needed to be 'treated' as other issues are.
It was inherently flawed from the beginning. For a start, it uses people answering a questionaire at a booth at a gay pride parade for it's homosexual sample and students at colleges for it's heterosexual sample.

It also ignores the research that straight men are less likely to admit to being sexually abused because of the fear of being stigmatized as "gay".

It ignores the fact that many of the homosexuals in the study realised that they were different before they were sexually abused.

I agree, sexual orientation and human sexuality is very complex.

I don't think you'll find too many people trying to claim that homosexuality is soley determined genetically, though there does seem to be a genetic influence as well as environmental influences such as pre-natal hormones and birth order etc.

However, contrary to what the "pray away the gay" types claim, there isn't any credible evidence that the way a child is raised, or childhood sexual abuse causes their sexual orientation. This is backed up by all the major worldwide health organizations including the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Child sexual abuse can certainly screw up person, whether they have a heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual orientation.

Quote:
Contrary to Bachmann, I am sure many homosexuals have a balanced life, yet alot do not.
I am sure we can agree that many heterosexuals have a balanced life, yet a lot do not.

Last edited by Ceist; 07-15-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies