Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here is the man that the OP cares so much about his opinion.

A right wing hack with a history of working against worker's rights and using us taxpayer dollars to funnel to Israel.

Bernard Marcus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as it bashes Obama, that's all that matters to them.

I am sure we could find some "job creators" who disagree. As much as they love to bash the corporation I work for (won't name them but they are probably responsible for lighting the room you're in) they are major job creators too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I'am amused by senseless posts about how evil businesses are by over educated Billy Ayers minions on here.If it wasn't for the Railroad i would not have my standard of living people like you all have drove business away with out of control government regulations,high taxes,EPA mandates,Unions [LEACHES] and Occupational safety groups.

Example is the UAW over paid,over compensated bail outs who smoke dope and drink on breaks right under their Union Masters noses.Did you see that fat guy Union rep tell the undercover reporter that he wasn't aware they were in the UAW Headquarters parking lot doing what they said was to end.Looks like chubby needs to get back on the production line and get rid of that POT BELLY or should i say BEER BELLY? He is a Union rep because he was a sorry lazy worker who went to the UNION for the easy work of being a leach.

Talk about unfair 52% of Americans pay no income tax at all.

I worked for the railroad for 37 years.I was union.Maintainence of Way.That would be in the engineering department.I was a laborer, truck driver, machine operator,Section foreman,grinder,and Track inspector.
Just what did you do? If your bashing unions...I would say nothing,because all the manual labor is done by union members.Without some of those government regulations,OSHA,and the FRA...........I am sure more than a few of us would be dead.They make sure the railroads do not use unsafe work practices on its labor force.

So just what did you do? Trainmaster? Roadmaster,road foreman? with your grammer and demeanor,I am sure it was not too high on the ladder.

Perhaps you just worked on a short line or..........a Scab?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Something I think that people are missing is that capitalism succeeds not only by and for profits. Trust is a key factor that has not been addressed in this thread. Trust in the economy drives consumers to spend more or less. Trust in the government drives businesses to expand or contract operations. I believe this businessman, like many others, is saying that trust is low in government throughout the business sector. As such, these businesses are maintaining a defensive posture by increasing capital requirements and decreasing expenditures. An employee, for a business, is an expenditure.

Yes, this is a serious problem for Obama. By losing the trust of businesses, he can cajole, threaten, and sweet talk businesses until he is blue in the face, but it is his actions that created this level of distrust. Until either Obama stops behaving anti-business or someone else is elected, that level of distrust will remain.

Last edited by southbel; 07-23-2011 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Something I think that people are missing is that capitalism succeeds not only by and for profits. Trust is a key factor that has not been addressed in this thread. Trust in the economy drives consumers to spend more or less. Trust in the government drives businesses to expand or contract operations. I believe this businessman, like many others, is saying that trust is low in government throughout the business sector. As such, these businesses are maintaining a defensive posture by increasing capital requirements and decreasing expenditures. An employee, for a business, is an expenditure.

Yes, this is a serious problem for Obama. By losing the trust of businesses, he can cajole, threaten, and sweet talk businesses until he is blue in the face, but it is his actions that created this level of distrust. Until either Obama stops behaving anti-business or someone else is elected, that level of distrust will remain.
But why are they losing trust? Are they afraid that they may have to pay more taxes? I think they just don't trust the economy. Period. They know the middle class have no money anymore.

As for this administration: before the last administration was over, we were shedding 750,000 jobs a year. What made that administration more trustworthy than this one? Taxes and deregulation? Probably. So even if they were "trusting" in 2007 and 2008, they were vomiting jobs like crazy. We, the working class, were only seeing the tip of the iceburg then so we pretend that nothing was wrong then, when it was OH so wrong.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But why are they losing trust? Are they afraid that they may have to pay more taxes? I think they just don't trust the economy. Period. They know the middle class have no money anymore.

As for this administration: before the last administration was over, we were shedding 750,000 jobs a year. What made that administration more trustworthy than this one? Taxes and deregulation? Probably. So even if they were "trusting" in 2007 and 2008, they were vomiting jobs like crazy. We, the working class, were only seeing the tip of the iceburg then so we pretend that nothing was wrong then, when it was OH so wrong.
They're losing trust with this administration and what they preceive as an anti-business stance. That is from the very business owners saying this. Specifically why are they losing trust? I could speculate it's increased regulations, Obamacare, increased taxes, talk of CEO compensation, or any number of things. However, the consensus for these business leaders that have spoken out is that this administration is a key factor - specifics vary.

Your attempt to try and bring up the previous adminstration has absolutely no bearing on my comments. My comments are regarding the current crop of business leaders that are speaking out against Obama for his anti-business stance, or what they perceive to be. At the end of the day, this creates a distrust that makes businesses less likely to expand, thus creating less incentive to hire more employees.

Or, I could put it simpler, the economy started this mess and Obama made it worse. Better?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Your attempt to try and bring up the previous adminstration has absolutely no bearing on my comments. My comments are regarding the current crop of business leaders that are speaking out against Obama for his anti-business stance, or what they perceive to be. At the end of the day, this creates a distrust that makes businesses less likely to expand, thus creating less incentive to hire more employees.

Or, I could put it simpler, the economy started this mess and Obama made it worse. Better?
Yes, better. My attempt to bring up the past administration is to point out the hypocricy of this attitude. Not your hypocrisy but their's.

Of course they are threatened by this adminstration because, if anything ever gets through, those platinum years are over for them and they'll just have to settle for golden years.

Look, I don't think business is evil nor am I against it. But I don't agree with loopholes and tax breaks and deregulation that allows them to make TONS of profit without ever giving back to the society that allowed them to get there or making things unsafe. I think some controls need to go back on businesses--not a huge amount but some that put some money back into the US economy. That has gone by the wayside as well as most of the jobs, of which they are rewarded for. I used to believe that those types of breaks would encourage businesses to invest back in the economy but that has proven to not work so *I* believe that there needs to be a change.

I realize there are different philosophies on what works and this is mine (today) because I don't think what we have been doing has worked well at all. If you don't agree with that, I'm fine with that because I don't claim to be right.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 AM

84 posts, read 54,527 times
I would like to know exactly what rules and regulations are preventing him from making a profit and hiring new employees.

In the three years, Obama has been in office Home Depot stock has gone from $24 to $37 a share. As a matter of fact his stock his higher now than since 2008.

He needs to ****

Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, better. My attempt to bring up the past administration is to point out the hypocricy of this attitude. Not your hypocrisy but their's.

Of course they are threatened by this adminstration because, if anything ever gets through, those platinum years are over for them and they'll just have to settle for golden years.

Look, I don't think business is evil nor am I against it. But I don't agree with loopholes and tax breaks and deregulation that allows them to make TONS of profit without ever giving back to the society that allowed them to get there or making things unsafe. I think some controls need to go back on businesses--not a huge amount but some that put some money back into the US economy. That has gone by the wayside as well as most of the jobs, of which they are rewarded for. I used to believe that those types of breaks would encourage businesses to invest back in the economy but that has proven to not work so *I* believe that there needs to be a change.

I realize there are different philosophies on what works and this is mine (today) because I don't think what we have been doing has worked well at all. If you don't agree with that, I'm fine with that because I don't claim to be right.
It's all a balancing act and thus far, I have seen a knee jerk reaction to this recession that is making the problem worse, not better. People wanted affordable health care and we got Obamacare, which does nothing for costs. It does put burden on businesses. Then, the cap and trade bit. That's nearly punitive in nature.

I think that left or right, they would agree companies like GE not paying any taxes is ridiculous. But then, we see Obama embrace GE as the way to run a business? So, it's good they pay no taxes according to him? Can you see the issue here? So, yes, let's close loopholes but I have to admit I doubt the sincerity of this adminstration when I see things like this.

But, I digress. Businesses, whether you and I think it is legitimate rationale or not, have lost trust in this administration. Perhaps it is his anti-business rhetoric to try and gather votes or perhaps it is policies like Obamacare and cap and trade. Either way, it has happened. What is Obama's reaction to this? Behave more anti-business. Something has to change or else we'll be stuck in this recession for even longer.

As an aside, I do not absolve the previous adminstration of anything but nor do I look back and say it's all their fault. It's shared. The previous administration in the last two years of his term was atrocious on the economy. Caught completely off guard. That's inexcusable.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyadra View Post
I would like to know exactly what rules and regulations are preventing him from making a profit and hiring new employees.

In the three years, Obama has been in office Home Depot stock has gone from $24 to $37 a share. As a matter of fact his stock his higher now than since 2008.

He needs to ****
If I were a business person, it would be my goal to stop anything that involved putting more regulations on me or more taxes, or closing up some of my write offs. Even if those things were better for the country as a whole because, yes, some of those things may (or may not) affect my bottom line. It is the responsibililty of any company to make as much money as they can in the easiest fashion. I 100% any person running a company to feel this way. That doesn't mean I think he has MY or my country's best interests at heart. Only his.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If I were a business person, it would be my goal to stop anything that involved putting more regulations on me or more taxes, or closing up some of my write offs. Even if those things were better for the country as a whole because, yes, some of those things may (or may not) affect my bottom line. It is the responsibililty of any company to make as much money as they can in the easiest fashion. I 100% any person running a company to feel this way. That doesn't mean I think he has MY or my country's best interests at heart. Only his.
I actually agree with that. That's the nature of business. I find it funny when people think that businesses need to act all altruistic just because? Do we pay our taxes out of altruism? No. But, when the system is balanced between government, business, and the consumer, it is the most efficient and best one out there. Perfect? Nothing is, but of course the biggest downfall is when any one of those three out-balance the others. Such is the nature of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies