Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To summarize what I think le roi is saying, corporations aren't doing us a favor by their existence. They exist to enrich shareholders and nothing more noble. As a bi-product of their selfish motive, they provide goods and services and may hire people they need to accomplish their overall goal of making money. They aren't doing those workers a favor, nor are they doing society a favor. Their motives are purely self interest.
I'm just amazed there are so many people, mainly on the Left, who have this mentality.

Yeah, let's get rid of all the corporations...and all the "favors" they provide, like...clothing you, feeding you, giving you the ability to go and do whatever you want.

Amazing there are people think business should be OUT of the business of making money, profit for the very people that have invested in them, while at the same time providing for the wants and needs of the public in goods and services they offer.

I bet if you asked your mother, father, grandparents, aunts, uncles they would not be too happy with this attitude....because most likely they ARE shareholders and investors in these evil corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Right, so it is incorrect to call them "job creators" as if creating jobs was their motivation.
Motivation has nothing to do with it. Job creation is a byproduct of business success, not an objective in and of itself. (I think we already cleared up that business success is a matter of self-interest which has beneficial side-effects.)

If business is not "job creators" then who is?

Your analysis would be improved by ignoring motivation and looking at results.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Motivation has nothing to do with it. Job creation is a byproduct of business success, not an objective in and of itself. (I think we already cleared up that business success is a matter of self-interest which has beneficial side-effects.)

Your analysis would be improved by ignoring motivation and looking at results.
Remember, the Left wants GOVERNMENT as the job creator..then we get out of the business of "profit", greed and just plain evilness.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Motivation has nothing to do with it. Job creation is a byproduct of business success
that's not true.

Job creation is a byproduct of economic activity. Hence my crapping analogy -- it is not business, but it is job-creating economic activity.

Quote:
People who engage in economic activity.

Business is included in this. Business probably makes up the majority of this. Business probably does this most efficiently.

But business is not the ONLY way to do it, nor is business ALWAYS going to do it.

The funny thing about this, is all the assumptions being made about what I believe. I don't actually support higher regulations -- I want things to be easy on businesses, because hell, I've already got a job. But my motivation for supporting low regulation has NOTHING to do with any anticipation that it will create jobs. I'm not so naive that I think giving Home Depot more cash to play with will result in them hiring a soul. In reality, business inefficiencies due to regulation actually employ MORE people; the negative consequences are that the consumer pays more and gets less, and we grow less wealthy. The problem I see with far-right arguments is that they assume more wealth means more job growth. However since 2008, wealth has grown and jobs have not , and they are now stretching for explanations for why jobs haven't materialized, despite businesses being flush with cash -- and they've come up with the argument of the "threat of FUTURE taxes." that's a creative one.

Likewise, I don't want the government to tax and spend, but I recognize that shrinking government indiscriminately isnt going to do a damn thing for the economy, or job growth, either. If you want jobs, what we need is a restructuring of tax-and-spending to encourage productive investments instead of rentier capitalism.

Last edited by le roi; 07-22-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
No kidding. People actually think this one guy's opinion is worth 300,000 jobs. Or they just come here to go off about railroads.
Keep dreaming.

You should really look up the history of home depot instead of making asinine comments based solely on hate.
Are you really claiming he had nothing to do with starting Home Depot and it's growth and now employing over 300,000 people?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Are you really claiming he had nothing to do with starting Home Depot and it's growth and now employing over 300,000 people?
No, I'm claiming he is not solely responsible for 300,000 jobs, and that his opinions are not magical economic fairy dust that will solve all our problems.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
le roi you know for you to post your jibberish here you have to power up your computer that takes Energy in the form of Coal,Oil or Natural Gas. That said its called Supply and Demand Coal is mined creating a need for miners Oil and Natural Gas has to be drilled that requires wildcat drillers the product has to go to suppliers refineries thus creating jobs on railroads and trucks to haul said products to them.Following me so far their egghead.? In return that creates jobs that people fill for the need these companies have for the demand its called employment which the government receives a tax base from your income plus the companies pay[unless your G.E.] taxes which creates wealth.You don't know S#!T FROM APPLE BUTTER...just like OBOZO all he knows is government creates jobs just like the community organizer he is.... the only jobs he knows how to create.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Here is the man that the OP cares so much about his opinion.

A right wing hack with a history of working against worker's rights and using us taxpayer dollars to funnel to Israel.

Bernard Marcus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
that's not true.

Job creation is a byproduct of economic activity. Hence my crapping analogy -- it is not business, but it is job-creating economic activity.

People who engage in economic activity.

Business is included in this. Business probably makes up the majority of this. Business probably does this most efficiently.

But business is not the ONLY way to do it, nor is business ALWAYS going to do it.

The funny thing about this, is all the assumptions being made about what I believe. I don't actually support higher regulations -- I want things to be easy on businesses, because hell, I've already got a job. But my motivation for supporting low regulation has NOTHING to do with any anticipation that it will create jobs. I'm not so naive that I think giving Home Depot more cash to play with will result in them hiring a soul. In reality, business inefficiencies due to regulation actually employ MORE people; the negative consequences are that the consumer pays more and gets less, and we grow less wealthy. The problem I see with far-right arguments is that they assume more wealth means more job growth. However since 2008, wealth has grown and jobs have not , and they are now stretching for explanations for why jobs haven't materialized, despite businesses being flush with cash -- and they've come up with the argument of the "threat of FUTURE taxes." that's a creative one.

Likewise, I don't want the government to tax and spend, but I recognize that shrinking government indiscriminately isnt going to do a damn thing for the economy, or job growth, either. If you want jobs, what we need is a restructuring of tax-and-spending to encourage productive investments instead of rentier capitalism.
I give up, you wore me down. It is really tough to discuss economics with someone who equates taking a crap with real people hiring real workers to meet the needs and desires of the rest of society.

But I cannot resist asking one more question: oh, wait...never mind. It is pointless.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
Shrinking the government would do WONDERS for this economy and the Keynesians who have spent money like no tomorrow in unprecedented fashion since 1-20-09.

They have nothing to show for it except double-dgit unemployment rates, soaring unemployment rates for teens and black youths (see what happens when you raise the minimum wage multiple times), skyrocketing grocery prices, $5.00/gallon for gasoline in some places since he took over and the list goes on and on......

Obama's fixation on high-speed rail and green jobs is also asinine and idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies