Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If you are paying for healthcare out of your own pocket you are much more likely to have a serious discussion with your doctor about the necessity for a $1,000 medication than if someone else is paying for it. Frequently there are less expensive options in medicine. They are not always taken for a variety of reasons.
Ah, gotcha. If you're just paying a $20 copay for $5,000 worth of procedures then of course you're going to agree to those procedures even if unnecessary.

Here's a personal anecdote. I am currently home sick from a kidney stone and infection. I had the doctors wanting to do all manners of tests just to rule out anything else even when the problem was discovered and all of my symptoms fit. I declined because I thought it was a waste. I imagine it is a litigious society that has caused that.

Interesting though. Gives me something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

And right now, my *personal* opinion is that things are out of balance. I think business is out of balance with government. I don't mean the size of goverment but I think with taxes and deregulation.

I also going to have a regular "lovefest" with you on your earlier post. I think Obamacare and other things that have been initiated are making the recovery harder as you said. That said, I'm not against them per se, because I think on several fronts "something has to be done." Healthcare is abyssmal for too many Americans now and that has been happening for many years. It can't go on like this. Our transition to a new type of system, whatever it is, is going to be hard, slow, and painful. The bottom line is, I don't think we can continue to let our citizens suffer so much with healthcare, both cost and access. I think during the transition of change, it is going to hard on business AND the citizens--no doubt about it. And, maybe this wasn't the best time to do it--economy-wise, but when would it be? (Rhetorically asking).

And, yes, the GE thing is just baffling.
I never had trouble with my health care providers and you talk of Change a transition to a new type of system what is that Marxism instead of Capitalism? Another social justice entitlement libo...it promotes laziness when the change we need is EMPOWERMENT which will be hard long and painful for those who wait for the POSTMAN TO RING TWICE or in most cases they are already waiting on the porch to get their monthly government subsidize living.Do you know if the mail doesn't run before the end of the month because of a weekend or holiday that these people get their checks before i get my rr pension? The squeakest wheel gets the most grease and those SSI WELFARE HEADS SURE CAN SQUAW.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, I'm claiming he is not solely responsible for 300,000 jobs, and that his opinions are not magical economic fairy dust that will solve all our problems.
It is no wonder we are in the trouble we are in.

Here we have a man who, with a partner, starts a company, helps it grow into a company employing over 300.000 people and you rant, "he is not solely responsible". Duh, no one said , "he solely". Your anti business hate shines through. If you bothered to read the thread title you will find, " Home Depot Co-Founder.

Only YOU are claiming "he solely".

A successful business man states his opinion on the economy and you deride "him" but, you worship lock step Obama who hasn't even ran a lemonade stand.

Do you really think we are going to take you serious with thinking like this?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoris View Post
Some might argue that giving tax breaks to "job creators" who kill jobs in America by creating jobs in China is not necessarily advantages to the long term success of the American economy. Case in point, Home Depot as guided by its CEO regularly sends copies of American innovations to Chinese factories to get them to manufacture (copy) these products at lower prices so they can create more short-term profit and increase his stock bonuses. Not such a good deal for America.

I like clean air and water. I want my kids to have clean air. If I didn't I would go to China or India. I appreciate the efforts of the EPA; reigning in those that would produce profits at the expense of the environment is a GOOD thing. Turning a well paying American manufacturing job into a minimum wage customer service job is a BAD thing.
You have Richard Nixon to thank for that clean air.

Yes, I think everyone wants clean air and water. However, regulating something that has not been proven to be dangerous is a bit overreaching. Let's get the science right first. I say this as a scientist that has done quite a bit of climate modeling in my day.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 AM

174 posts, read 117,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

Yes, I think everyone wants clean air and water. However, regulating something that has not been proven to be dangerous is a bit overreaching. Let's get the science right first. I say this as a scientist that has done quite a bit of climate modeling in my day.
Did you make any models of Love Canal?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. If you're just paying a $20 copay for $5,000 worth of procedures then of course you're going to agree to those procedures even if unnecessary.

Here's a personal anecdote. I am currently home sick from a kidney stone and infection. I had the doctors wanting to do all manners of tests just to rule out anything else even when the problem was discovered and all of my symptoms fit. I declined because I thought it was a waste. I imagine it is a litigious society that has caused that.

Interesting though. Gives me something to think about.
The reason the doctors have all these tests performed is because they don't want to be sued... they pay too much in liabity insurance premuims which drives our HC costs up do to nonsense laws suits if they do miss something.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoris View Post
Did you make any models of Love Canal?
No, but I am familiar with the case. There are others out there too. I'm not calling for elimination of enforcing existing laws by the EPA. I'm saying the EPA shouldn't be the creator of those regulations or given carte blanche power to do so.

Personally, I think the current means of just having companies pay for incidents like the Love Canal is too weak, they should include steep criminal penalties as well.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But why are they losing trust? Are they afraid that they may have to pay more taxes? I think they just don't trust the economy. Period. They know the middle class have no money anymore.

As for this administration: before the last administration was over, we were shedding 750,000 jobs a year. What made that administration more trustworthy than this one? Taxes and deregulation? Probably. So even if they were "trusting" in 2007 and 2008, they were vomiting jobs like crazy. We, the working class, were only seeing the tip of the iceburg then so we pretend that nothing was wrong then, when it was OH so wrong.
I will keep posting this as long as people like you try to re-invent the Bush years:

Publication: Business Wire
Date: Friday, January 4 2008

More Than 8.3 Million Jobs Created Since August 2003 In Longest Continuous Run Of Job Growth On Record

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released new jobs figures - 18,000 jobs created in December. Since August 2003, more than 8.3 million jobs have been created, with more than 1.3 million jobs created throughout 2007. Our economy has now added jobs for 52 straight months - the longest period of uninterrupted job growth on record. The unemployment rate remains low at 5 percent. The U.S. economy benefits from a solid foundation, but we cannot take economic growth for granted and economic indicators have become increasingly mixed. President Bush will continue working with Congress to address the challenges our economy faces and help facilitate long-term economic growth, job growth, and better standards of living for all Americans.

"The U.S. Economy Benefits From A Solid Foundation

* Real GDP grew at a strong 4.9 percent annual rate in the third quarter of 2007. The economy has now experienced six years of uninterrupted growth, averaging 2.8 percent a year since 2001.

* Real after-tax per capita personal income has risen by 11.7 percent - an average of more than $3,550 per person - since President Bush took office.

* Over the course of this Administration, productivity growth has averaged 2.6 percent per year. This growth
is well above average productivity growth in the 1990s, 1980s, and 1970s."

You bring up 2007 and 2008. What changed? The dems took over control of Congress, that is what happened.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Don't we all exhale co2 ? can't wait for the day when human kind animals are regulated

Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM

174 posts, read 117,559 times
Quote:
No, but I am familiar with the case. There are others out there too. I'm not calling for elimination of enforcing existing laws by the EPA. I'm saying the EPA shouldn't be the creator of those regulations or given carte blanche power to do so.

Personally, I think the current means of just having companies pay for incidents like the Love Canal is too weak, they should include steep criminal penalties as well.
Now yer' talkin'

But good luck getting that through congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies