Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

And Lamborn sent an "apology" worthy of African legend, I think.

"Congressman Doug Lamborn today sent a personal letter to President Barack Obama apologizing for using a term some find insensitive," the statement read. "Lamborn was attempting to tell a radio audience last week that the President's policies have created an economic quagmire for the nation and are responsible for the dismal economic conditions our country faces. He regrets that he chose the phrase 'tar baby,' rather than the word 'quagmire'. The Congressman is confident that the President will accept his heartfelt apology."

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
This entire thread shows why Political Correctness is wrong and dangerous. I have seen real racism, and this ain't it.

‪I Hate White People‬‏ - YouTube
This^^ is racism.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have no idea what a tar baby is or how it should be interpreted. Or whatever racial connotations you're asserting about the term.

I'm certain that the person in question was using the term to mean that it's frustrating (or something similar) to work with Obama.

ETA:

People will spin anything to try to make whites and/or conservatives look racist.
no need to spin they are racist.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The point is that people like you are assuming everyone must know the same racial slurs as you, which is not realistic. But here we are, with people crucifying this man for exactly that.

How many people like me read the OP and were not aware how this was racist? How many people had to Google or read thru this thread to find out how this phrase is racist, before they were sufficiently outraged enough to condemn this man?
This is not some obscure phrase. As I stated before, I loosely accept that Lamborn may not have meant this in a racist way, however this guy looks like he's 50+. I would find it very hard to believe that he didn't know the racial undertones of his word choice. (Especially since McCain and Romney made the same mistakes in recent years). Is Lamborn that obtuse? And if he is, should he even be allowed to represent CO?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
This entire thread shows why Political Correctness is wrong and dangerous. I have seen real racism, and this ain't it.

This^^ is racism.
Meanwhile we have a congresswoman who said "republicans came to Washington to kill women", vice president who called the TEA party people 'terrorists', and a president who says "the republicans are holding a gun to heads of the American people".

The left gives these folks a complete and utter pass, but a comment that might be viewed as racist is truly over the top.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
no need to spin they are racist.
They act like someone made up what some of them say, it is his now history folks and you can try and spin it away, it will not work. Open your mouth and prove you are either an insensitive moron that does not know what you are saying or your words reflect your inner feelings, either way you condem yourself by your own words. As the right just LOVES to say "take responsibility for your own words and actions"
Casper

Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Meanwhile we have a congresswoman who said "republicans came to Washington to kill women", vice president who called the TEA party people 'terrorists', and a president who says "the republicans are holding a gun to heads of the American people".

The left gives these folks a complete and utter pass, but a comment that might be viewed as racist is truly over the top.
The topic of the thread is not what that congresswoman or the vice president said. I know there is a thread about the VP. I don't know which congreswoman you're talking about, so I don't know if there's a thread about her. If you wish to discuss those issues, please join/start a thread. Each person is responsible for his/her own words and actions.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Not to conservatives. Nothing said can be racist enough for you conservatives.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'll be 50 next year and had never heard it used as a racially derrogatory term. It may depend on who one associates with as to who has used/heard the term used that way.
I am 68 years old and grew up in the south. I have NEVER heard the term "tar baby" used as a racial slur. It was always Uncle Remus/sticky situation connotation. Of course I was raised by literate people who didn't go around making racial slurs.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The topic of the thread is not what that congresswoman or the vice president said. I know there is a thread about the VP. I don't know which congreswoman you're talking about, so I don't know if there's a thread about her. If you wish to discuss those issues, please join/start a thread. Each person is responsible for his/her own words and actions.
He could have pointed at Obama and said you black n&^^#$ and the right would say it was not racist because a black rapper said it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies