Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So you went from comparing an actual racist term to the team name for UNC and now you are comparing it to pool. Any other asinine comparisons you want to make in defense of Lamborn's racist terminology?

LOL, that was a scene in a movie. It was about a black guy who was super sensitive---I see you don't get it---oh well. LOL

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
No sense in debating this with you because you could easily deny that you have any knowledge of the phrase. You could deny that you even have a HINT of understanding about its usage. Fair enough ...
And, I would be telling the truth.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
From the Wikipedia:

In August 2011 Congressman Doug Lamborn (Republican,Colorado) again raised concerns about the term's inappropriate use and racial overtones when during a radio talk show about the U.S. debt-ceiling debate he said about President Obama "I don't want to be associated with him, it's like touching a tar baby." but then again, Congressman Lamborn may only be an in-bred trailer trash pole-smoking ass clown.

Any of you guys here a Wiki writer?

LOL, of course referring to someone as a in-bred trailer trash pole-smoking ass clown is MUCH better than a tar baby. LOL

This thread is entertaining.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Dog whistle racism. His supporters knew exactly what he was saying
New one for me---dog whistle racism. I feel left out without knowing all these terms.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times

I don't think any rational person could see anything remotely offensive or racist when being compared to the above images. By the same token why are people so sensitive as to think that this was racial also??..

Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,920 times
Lived in Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee. Never did here anyone speak bout tar babies. It is all a myth stirred up by agitators...just like the Confederate Flag..a myth created by the media.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

I don't think any rational person could see anything remotely offensive or racist when being compared to the above images. By the same token why are people so sensitive as to think that this was racial also??..
You should post one of Agatha Christie's books.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Of course however you are simply making things up (surprise surprise). No one has said Obama can't be criticized because he is black or half-black. Now, some people have said some of the criticism he has received is because he is black, but no one has said he is black or half-black so you can't ever criticize him. Stop making that crap up.
Nobody actually said that, it's just implied and the tone becomes overtly hostile, then the R word starts flying...so while nobody says not to criticize him b/c he's part black, that's what it boils down to.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I thought it meant a person or situation that was "sticky", as the tar baby in the Uncle Remus story.
That IS what it means. Too bad others can only see racism in everything, they ruin it for everyone.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You and the congressmans lack of knowledge or pure ignorance show just how out of touch so many are with the mainstream. It's nothing to spin, "tar-baby" has been a racial slur for decades. In some households, that's not a big deal, using racial slurs is accepted as it probably is in this guys house.
I've actually been that naive all this time. The only "tar baby" I remember was in the Disney movie "Song of the South." With the usage in that film ... I don't think I'd have drawn the connection in a million years.

I'm not to up to speed on my racial slurs. I blame my parents they just didn't teach me any of them.

PS: I don't consider my naivety to be a bad thing in this case.

EDIT: Here's the cartoon. You tell me how I'd have pieced together the racial slur from it.

‪Uncle Remus And The Tar Baby‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies