Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,663,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I already posted a similar quote, they don't care. It's typical of them, though.
So words can ONLY have ONE meaning?

"Cracker" ONLY means the squares you eat with your soup, huh?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm certainly not.

The term is definitely racist to people of a certain generation, however. The fact that you are unaware of it does not make it any less racist.
No, that would be the OP. These kinds of threads/posts are not surprising from a certain group of liberals here on C-D.

True, it may be a racial slur, but its original intent was not racist and you can't necessarily pin someone as a racist just b/c they use the term.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Unfortunately, the English language doesn't have any other phrases that describe the situation being referred to. The tar baby reference isn't a racial slur, it's a way to describe a situation that no matter what you do you're a mess, and every move gets you stuck deeper in the mire.

Actually, nothing proves racism more than this obsession with words that in the past had racial implications. For this reason the worst racists today are the ones who say Obama's performance as President cannot be criticized in any way--because he's half African-American. Any group that gets together and censors every word for racial connotation is not relaxed and comfortable with members of various races--it is a group exquisitely aware of any minorities present, and worried about "proving" that they are not, in fact, racist in any way. But by being so obsessed, they prove the exact opposite.

I have never heard a group of African-Americans afraid to say the "N" word (which I dare not even write, so absurd has this become), or to make racial remarks. And when my college roommate turned out to be oriental, I eventually forgot about censoring my speech, as friendship replaced all labels. Perhaps when liberals are able to look past Obama's color and see his performance as President, they'll realize that following ALL of Bush's misguided policies, but spending ten times as much on them, makes him even more of a disaster than Bush was.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unfortunately, the English language doesn't have any other phrases that describe the situation being referred to. The tar baby reference isn't a racial slur, it's a way to describe a situation that no matter what you do you're a mess, and every move gets you stuck deeper in the mire.

Actually, nothing proves racism more than this obsession with words that in the past had racial implications. For this reason the worst racists today are the ones who say Obama's performance as President cannot be criticized in any way--because he's half African-American. Any group that gets together and censors every word for racial connotation is not relaxed and comfortable with members of various races--it is a group exquisitely aware of any minorities present, and worried about "proving" that they are not, in fact, racist in any way. But by being so obsessed, they prove the exact opposite.

I have never heard a group of African-Americans afraid to say the "N" word (which I dare not even write, so absurd has this become), or to make racial remarks. And when my college roommate turned out to be oriental, I eventually forgot about censoring my speech, as friendship replaced all labels. Perhaps when liberals are able to look past Obama's color and see his performance as President, they'll realize that following ALL of Bush's misguided policies, but spending ten times as much on them, makes him even more of a disaster than Bush was.
Great, well thought out post. Too bad I can't rep you again.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, that would be the OP. These kinds of threads/posts are not surprising from a certain group of liberals here on C-D.

True, it may be a racial slur, but its original intent was not racist and you can't necessarily pin someone as a racist just b/c they use the term.
No matter if the intent was there to say something racial or not, a member of Congress should no better than to use racist slurs.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
What about the Tar Heels? Isn't that a football team or basketball team? The fans think nothing of calling themselves that and are proud of their team but if you want to label it a racist term then go right ahead. It's a free country.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

Of course however you are simply making things up (surprise surprise). No one has said Obama can't be criticized because he is black or half-black. Now, some people have said some of the criticism he has received is because he is black, but no one has said he is black or half-black so you can't ever criticize him. Stop making that crap up.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What about the Tar Heels? Isn't that a football team or basketball team? The fans think nothing of calling themselves that and are proud of their team but if you want to label it a racist term then go right ahead. It's a free country.
What are you talking about?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times
How does anyone not know what a Tar Baby is? And if they didn't know the derogatory term for it, I doubt they would know some alternative use for it.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Blacks have been called tar babies as a racist term. Blacks have not been called Tar Heals as a racist term. Why is that so hard to comprehend??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies