Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You never heard of the term "Tar Baby" being used to describe a black person? You never watched the old Looney Tunes cartoons where they exagerrated the skin color of the black characters in the shows? LOL That's a tar baby.
Never saw the cartoon of which you speak. And I have never heard the term used as a racial slur. Must've missed that one.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Of course however you are simply making things up (surprise surprise). No one has said Obama can't be criticized because he is black or half-black. Now, some people have said some of the criticism he has received is because he is black, but no one has said he is black or half-black so you can't ever criticize him. Stop making that crap up.
I have heard a thousand examples of valid criticisms of Obama's policies and decisions being responded to with cries of racism. I'm pretty sure most rational people have observed the same.

And may I point out yet again, the nastiness of your personal attack more than proves my point that liberals typically name-call and insult, rather than discuss the actual issues.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Agree here. I've never heard of this particular expression before. Pretty much anything could be interpreted as racist if one so choose to. Heck, if liberals could have their way the entire Dictionary would labeled as hate speech and banned because they'd decide that most most words in it are racist and offensive.
Um, no. The phrase "Tar Baby" is known as a racist and derogatory term. This is not a situation where "... anything could be interpreted as racist if one so chooses to." It would be different if the phrase wasn't known to be a racial slur by many. Then, you could say what you say, but, this is not that case.

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I thought it meant a person or situation that was "sticky", as the tar baby in the Uncle Remus story.

The term has been around a lot longer than the Uncle Remus story. We have some vintage postcards circa 1911 and they depict "tar babies" and have racial slurs as captions. There were lots of derogatory postcards back then depicting blacks with stereotypical terms you wouldn't say today. Historical context of how certain words were used is what makes them racist i.e. it's not just someone deciding to be "sensitive" or "stirring the pot" as some people in this thread are dismissively suggesting.

2,294 posts, read 2,663,393 times
Please read the entire thread. As I have posted multiple times, it was definitely a racist term where I grew up.

Maybe it's regional.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The term has been around a lot longer than the Uncle Remus story. We have some vintage postcards circa 1911 and they depict "tar babies" and have racial slurs as captions. There were lots of derogatory postcards back then depicting blacks with stereotypical terms you wouldn't say today. Historical context of how certain words were used is what makes them racist i.e. it's not just someone deciding to be "sensitive" or "stirring the pot" as some people in this thread are dismissively suggesting.
Are you sure the Congressman intended it that way?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Dog whistle racism. His supporters knew exactly what he was saying

Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM

From the Wikipedia:

In August 2011 Congressman Doug Lamborn (Republican,Colorado) again raised concerns about the term's inappropriate use and racial overtones when during a radio talk show about the U.S. debt-ceiling debate he said about President Obama "I don't want to be associated with him, it's like touching a tar baby." but then again, Congressman Lamborn may only be an in-bred trailer trash pole-smoking ass clown.

Any of you guys here a Wiki writer?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Are you sure the Congressman intended it that way?
It really doesn't matter if he intended it to be racist or not. Common sense should tell a person in a high position like he's in that you don't use a term that brings up images of black babies covered in tar when you're talking about a black president and that's assuming he didn't know the history of the term. But I'd bet he did know............

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times
Quote:
Never saw the cartoon of which you speak. And I have never heard the term used as a racial slur. Must've missed that one.
No sense in debating this with you because you could easily deny that you have any knowledge of the phrase. You could deny that you even have a HINT of understanding about its usage. Fair enough ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies