Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times

Advertisements

Lamborn could have also said: "Obama's behavior during this time of negotiation has been nothing short of n i g g a rdly."

Yes, the definition of the word is not racist, but why would you choose to use a word that is so close in speech to a racist term?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Lamborn could have also said: "Obama's behavior during this time of negotiation has been nothing short of n i g g a rdly."

Yes, the definition of the word is not racist, but why would you choose to use a word that is so close in speech to a racist term?
Because he IS one. Fairly simple.
Casper

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
In the context to which it was used; he was referring back to it's non-racial origins 'moral of the story' in the "Uncle Remus" books; that of "the trap you design for others can also ensnare yourself" as in: "a sticky situation", "No matter your choices, they will all result in you getting stuck".

In this context, I believe his intent was non-racial. Those who would think otherwise are, in my opinion only, applying the sensitivity optics a little harshly.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Because he IS one. Fairly simple.
Casper
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
In the context to which it was used; he was referring back to it's non-racial origins 'moral of the story' in the "Uncle Remus" books; that of "the trap you design for others can also ensnare yourself" as in: "a sticky situation", "No matter your choices, they will all result in you getting stuck".

In this context, I believe his intent was non-racial. Those who would think otherwise are, in my opinion only, applying the sensitivity optics a little harshly.
I'll bet you think George Orwell's Animal Farm was just a book about a farm and that the Mother Goose rhymes had nothing what so ever to do with parodying the political events of the times they were written. Uncle Remus books and the movie based on them, Song of the South, were anything but non-racist---unless you believe that the master/slave relationship was an idyllic way of living.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
From Colorado's largest newspaper:

Lamborn apologizes to Obama for "tar baby" remark - The Denver Post

From his hometown newspaper:

Lamborn calls Obama a "tar baby" | lamborn, obama, rep - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Two local black community leaders immediately condemned the congressman's comments, and said he should know better.

Rosemary Harris Lytle, president of the Colorado Springs chapter of the NAACP, said the connotations of the phrase "tar baby" are too well-known to make Lamborn's use of it excusable.

"The world already views (El Paso County) as ultra conservative, ultra right wing, Tea-Party-loving, gay bashing, an epicenter of hate. With two vitriolic words, our own Congressman again sealed our fate," Harris Lytle said.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rep. Lamborn: Working With Obama Is like 'Touching a Tar Baby' - Political Punch

I'm sure he has no idea how that term is interpreted in 2011 despite McCain and Romney both being screwed by using the term in recent years.

True feeling always seem to slip out in soundbites.
Based on the explanation given by this guy in the article he's more guilty of being insensitive than racist.

There is a big diffference from being racially insensitive and being an outright racist. There are plenty of people out there that simply don't know any better and will make remarks that others find offensive simply because they are ignorant of how their remarks may be interpreted by other people.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Based on the explanation given by this guy in the article he's more guilty of being insensitive than racist.

There is a big diffference from being racially insensitive and being an outright racist. There are plenty of people out there that simply don't know any better and will make remarks that others find offensive simply because they are ignorant of how their remarks may be interpreted by other people.
He is either a moron, a racist or both, my bet in on the last choice, BOTH.
Casper

Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

How is tar baby racist? Just because its black? Good freaking grief already.

What other analogy would you use for a "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional contact?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How is tar baby racist? Just because its black? Good freaking grief already.

What other analogy would you use for a "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional contact?
If others have to explain it to you, then it would pointless to do so.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies