Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
We all know the rhetoric from Washington was that this would happen if the ceiling were not raised.

I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame.

I seriously think taxing the richer folks may have given a long term plan towards putting a dent on the national debt. I am not really sure if the super-rich would run away with their assets if they have to pay more taxes, an argument used against taxing them.

And clearly, S&P says the inefficiency of Washington factored in the downgrade, thanks to the pig-headedness of the GOP and the tea party.

And let's not forget the infamous stimulus package, some of which went into the alternate energy sector, for example, which has completely collapsed. Case in point: A123 systems opened their IPO at over 15 bucks, and they sit at 4 bucks now, reaching 52-week lows every quarter with steepening losses, despite millions of stimulus money, literally money went down a hole.
America’s credit rating withstood the Great Depression, Viet nam, Korean war, 9-11. But couldn’t withstand Obama, Pelosi and Reid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
It's amusing that conservatives vote for Obama here. Obviously both parties are responsible, but S & P themselves specifically said it was primarily Republicans that prompted this decision.

Yay for ignoring words directly from the horse's mouth just to attack Obama!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
America’s credit rating withstood the Great Depression, Viet nam, Korean war, 9-11. But couldn’t withstand Obama, Pelosi and Reid.
You're forgetting Boehner and the Tea Party. Don't bother actually referring to facts of who was primarily blamed or anything.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I couldn't vote in your poll because your options were too limited. This day has been coming for years and both parties are responsible.
A third option is not going to be fair to this poll. This is possibly going to be a core election issue next year.

Are people going to say, both parties suck, so I abstain from voting??

Somebody's gotta vote.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
I just saw Buffet say that the downgrade caught him off-guard. Not that it surprised him, but he feels it's odd and does not make sense.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
We all know the rhetoric from Washington was that this would happen if the ceiling were not raised.

I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame.

I seriously think taxing the richer folks may have given a long term plan towards putting a dent on the national debt. I am not really sure if the super-rich would run away with their assets if they have to pay more taxes, an argument used against taxing them.

And clearly, S&P says the inefficiency of Washington factored in the downgrade, thanks to the pig-headedness of the GOP and the tea party.

And let's not forget the infamous stimulus package, some of which went into the alternate energy sector, for example, which has completely collapsed. Case in point: A123 systems opened their IPO at over 15 bucks, and they sit at 4 bucks now, reaching 52-week lows every quarter with steepening losses, despite millions of stimulus money, literally money went down a hole.

What went wrong? The moron tea party decided to hold the debt ceiling hostage and turn it into a three ring circus. Thus the confidence in DC was downgraded by a rating company. That and the refusal to increase revenue.

Want another downgrade? Extend those Bush tax cuts again and see what happens.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Although I am admittedly a bit biased, I must share that the GOP came over as a-holes on this one, particularly the Tea Party. The energy and contrariness came completely from the right this time. What the hell were they thinking?!

I hope they get roasted for this debt debacle in 2012. It was unneccessary, and complete partisan overreach.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Since the correct option "both parties caring about reelection and their own big interests instead of the American people are the problem" was left off.... I voted for the bigger of the 2 choices listed (which are both problems by the way) out of control spending

Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 AM

27,154 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:

Show us where the S&P said the second part of that statement.

All of our Congress has screwed up very badly and consistently for many, many decades especially the last 5.

They have no desire to control any spending and its become quite apparent.

Our government has knowingly now inflicted this upon us further.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's amusing that conservatives vote for Obama here. Obviously both parties are responsible, but S & P themselves specifically said it was primarily Republicans that prompted this decision.

Yay for ignoring words directly from the horse's mouth just to attack Obama!
Exactly the whole "debt crisis" was nothing but a PR stunt by the right in an attempt to bash Obama and make him look bad which blew up in their faces. The debt ceiling was raised 7 times under W no questions asked. If there was a GOP president right now, the debt ceiling discussion would have been a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies