Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
C

Both parties suck and are to blame.

P.S. Pointing fingers will only increase the divide. This is a time when we have to come together if we want things change for the better.
Both parties are representing their constituents. They'r doing just what we elected them to do. Democrats want higher taxes. Republicans want less spending. No sir. The american people are to blame. Why just stop at blaming our elected officials. They're just trying to do what we elected them to do.

I thought it was very interesting they mentioned demographics. I've been saying for years we cannot have a functioning society made up mostly of old people. So much for the wisdom of killing off some 45 million of our children in our abortion mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And Michelle Bachmann, clearly she either has no brains or she is one of those Obama saboteurs.

She made headlines how she is against raising the debt ceiling. That means the US would default and get downgraded by all three, Fitch, Moody's and S&P. That means the DOW will be in a free-fall. Yet she eloquently ran her mouth that she is against any raise to the debt ceiling.

Same mouth yesterday - "Well, we have lost our top notch credit rating. And it has happened for the first time ever since 1917 and under Obama's watch blah blah blah"

I can't help but infer that the GOP and its candidates are focused on one thing and one thing only - position themselves against Obama, whether he is right or wrong, and craft a way to boot him out of the white house. That's very patriotic.
And she's running pretty high in the polls to be the Republican presidential nominee. That must encourage foreign investor confidence. Republicans... their insanity is finally hurting the bottom line.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
We all know the rhetoric from Washington was that this would happen if the ceiling were not raised.

I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame..
I don't know why we should focus on who to blame. Hardly productive, is it?

It's just like personal finance. You spend more than you make, your credit score will go down. Usually the spending is the problem.

It's time for the 50% of the ass-draggers in this country to get up and help out a little bit.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
And Michelle Bachmann, clearly she either has no brains or she is one of those Obama saboteurs.

She made headlines how she is against raising the debt ceiling. That means the US would default and get downgraded by all three, Fitch, Moody's and S&P. That means the DOW will be in a free-fall. Yet she eloquently ran her mouth that she is against any raise to the debt ceiling.

Same mouth yesterday - "Well, we have lost our top notch credit rating. And it has happened for the first time ever since 1917 and under Obama's watch blah blah blah"

I can't help but infer that the GOP and its candidates are focused on one thing and one thing only - position themselves against Obama, whether he is right or wrong, and craft a way to boot him out of the white house. That's very patriotic.
And that's all they are trying to do. Just like McConnel has stated many times "The single most important goal is to make Obama a one term president"
The republicans have been acting like out of control wild animals ever since Obama became president to sabotage anything he has tried to do to make the country better. The republicans are holding and destroying the country just in a political stunt to attempt to make themselves look better. It's truly disgusted and the most unpatriotic thing that can possibly be done.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Obama proposed 4 trillion in cuts, all the right had to agree to was one trillion in cuts to close up tax loopholes and corporate handouts to the rich which they absolutely refused.
The republicans only proposed 900 billion in cuts, which not one penny was of "their" outrageous spending.
The only thing the tea party proposed a little while back called for destroying medicare and medicaid, spending even more on the bloated military and wouldn't balance the budget until almost 30 years from now.

There is only one side that's bringing the BIG cuts and that's the democrats.
could ANYONE please show me obama's 4 trillion in cuts that he offered? i have looked everywhere and find nothing anywhere.

again, where is this "the tea party" wants bloating military spending? the tea party wants ALL spending scaled back or reconstructed going forward, so jobs are created because of any spending done.

i don't know ONE tea party person who favors foreign aid or war spending. it is all AMERICAN MONEY LEAVING AMERICA. war hawk democrats and republicans are NOT tea party people.

the tea party wanted the federal reserve audited to see where some of that money was going, in case you forgot.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
How about both of the above?

And the GOP and the TEA party weren't just sabotaging Obama, that was sabotaging the country.

The Democrats and the President should have issued a balanced approach, balanced budget for 10 to 15 years when they had control of both houses. They could have raised the debt ceiling, start towards a balanced budget, and Republicans would be left to whine about it.

But they didn't.

And Republicans could have done a grand bargain, with ending tax subsidies, ending tax breaks for the wealthy, and had real cuts in things like defense. The S&P downgrade specifically mentions not using revenue increases to balance the budget.

But they didn't

Blame both parties.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

It's just like personal finance. You spend more than you make, your credit score will go down. Usually the spending is the problem.

It's time for the 50% of the ass-draggers in this country to get up and help out a little bit.
You're trying to pass the Republican p*** stream off as rain. I think it's very productive to identify where this "rain" is coming from so we can decide who to punish.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

That has to be the focus so the people can make a conscious decision in the polls next year.

A republican win would be a catastrophe as they will spend the next 4 years busy "allegedly" undoing Obama's damage, and not rebuild the country for the lack of a better term.

That would be a return to the Bush years, more wars and a possible neocon takeover of Syria. The way the GOP is behaving right now. They don't deserve the white house another 4 years. All of the GOP candidates, barring Ron Paul, are somewhat clueless and are in the same bandwagon of Obama bashing, without any real election manifesto to cling on to.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
could ANYONE please show me obama's 4 trillion in cuts that he offered? i have looked everywhere and find nothing anywhere.

again, where is this "the tea party" wants bloating military spending? the tea party wants ALL spending scaled back or reconstructed going forward, so jobs are created because of any spending done.

i don't know ONE tea party person who favors foreign aid or war spending. it is all AMERICAN MONEY LEAVING AMERICA. war hawk democrats and republicans are NOT tea party people.

the tea party wanted the federal reserve audited to see where some of that money was going, in case you forgot.
I'd suggest putting your support behind the libertarians, not the tea party if those are your views. The tea party is the ultimate smoke and mirrors show that flat out lied and duped people into thinking they are some kind of new party, but are nothing but the far right, lunatic fringe of the republicans.
Let's take a look of how they voted.
#1 on the agenda coming in was the tax cuts for the rich extension that the republicans threatened to shut down the government unless they got it. Did the "less spending!" tea party support Obama and his plan to partally restore the tax rates to reduce spending? Of course not! They were behind the republicans in adding 900 billion in more deficit spending.
The most anti-constitution and big government bill in the history of the nation, the patriot act came up to vote. The "less government! pro constitution!" tea party would never in a million years support this right? Nope, they voted almost unanimously for it.
Also if the tea party was about "less spending!" they would have been behind who brought the BIG cuts, the democrats. Instead they wanted even more spending cuts to essential services and not one penny for the real problems, the tax cuts for the rich and the bloated military.

I think many tea party supporters may have good intentions on their mind, but the tea party itself is a total fraud and their supporters were completely had.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
We all know the rhetoric from Washington was that this would happen if the ceiling were not raised.

I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame.

I seriously think taxing the richer folks may have given a long term plan towards putting a dent on the national debt. I am not really sure if the super-rich would run away with their assets if they have to pay more taxes, an argument used against taxing them.

And clearly, S&P says the inefficiency of Washington factored in the downgrade, thanks to the pig-headedness of the GOP and the tea party.

And let's not forget the infamous stimulus package, some of which went into the alternate energy sector, for example, which has completely collapsed. Case in point: A123 systems opened their IPO at over 15 bucks, and they sit at 4 bucks now, reaching 52-week lows every quarter with steepening losses, despite millions of stimulus money, literally money went down a hole.
Credit downgrades are done when you are dangerously in debt and cannot control your spending.

It was raising the debt ceiling that did it. We showed the world that in spite of extremely high spending, we cannot find ways to cut spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies