Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This didn't happen overnight and this didn't happen in the last 6 months.

Put it in perspective. Let's say you got a downgrade in your job and your salary cut yet you kept your standard of living and started using your credit cards to fill that gap.
You make min payments and you know where that leads.

Then you start to get maxed out so you cut cable, maybe don't eat out anymore. But you are still in denial that you really have to change big time. Then you see you can't pay your mortgage..now you are into the big ticket items you cannot pay.

Then foreclosure and bill collectors swarm in. Reality hits and you're shocked and finally wake up to reality but you are so far into the hole there is no fixing it. Bankruptcy and losing your home is what results. All because you didn't heed the warnings when you spent more than you made.

That is the US. We've been doing this for decades..spending more than we take in, raising the limit and watching our revenues decrease as taxpayer standards of living decrease.

You cannot have 1/2 the country paying taxes to support the entire country with the breadth and scope of our entitlement programs and wage war in 5 countries and think you can fund all these little pork projects around the US.

Delusional doesn't even begin to describe this nation.
That was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I think if a third option was on the poll "Do you blame all of the above", a significant majority would blame everyone.
Exactly - simply blame ALL of Congress - stealing from the
American people.

They have allocated money for war without
declaration,
for education without warrant,
for bailouts without insight,
for the poor, the righteous, the wronged...
from the people's purse.

They've done this for decades.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I actually had quoted you earlier in the thread.
Yes, I know you did and credited me. Thank you.

I reposted that press release again and will continue to do so because many people either have not read it (as the OP said - she hadn't read the thread) or are still in denial and are spinning/discounting the impact the debt debate had on the downgrade at this time.

No doubt, the downgrade would have occurred later this year when the SuperCommittee kicks the can down the road once again. Clearly, the whole world has now realized this country will NEVER agree on anything.

S&P put us 'in the corner' as a wakeup call.

The political spin needs to stop. People need to face facts, stop the partisan politics and get down to the business of governing in a responsible (not a take-no-prisoners) way.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-07-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Default Speaking of Things Obama Inherited from George Bush...

Let's make sure we don't forget the AAA bond rating when it's time to vote in a new President next year.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Let's make sure we don't forget the AAA bond rating when it's time to vote in a new President next year.
8 years of a Bush economy didn't change the bond rating. 3 additional years of Bush influence did. Time to get rid of the Bush influence in the form of the current GOP and bagger contingent.

All the more reason to support President Obama, absolutely.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
I really hope you don't have suicidal ideation after Oblama loses, A_Lexus. You remind me of Jonestown.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Ohhhh....just another reason for missing Bush.

I can just see the ads.

Quote:
But now the GOP has an overarching theme that I predict will be at the core of a $500 million advertising campaign: “America needs its good name back.”
It will still be about the economy and jobs, which were tanking before the downgrade.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
8 years of a Bush economy didn't change the bond rating. 3 additional years of Bush influence did. Time to get rid of the Bush influence in the form of the current GOP and bagger contingent.

All the more reason to support President Obama, absolutely.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 9,661 times
Obama inherited a ton of other stuff from Bush, too....like every single one of his foreign and domestic policies, every one of which he not only embraced with open arms, but expanded, as well. If there is any difference between Bush and Obama besides skin color, I've yet to determine what that is, for his policies are completely the same (except for that whole Obamacare thing).

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Default Tea Party Cheers Credit Downgrade

What the heck? Why would the Tea Party cheer over the credit downgrade?

Either they are too stupid to realize that taking credit for America's credit rating downgrade is anti-Ameriacan, or they were too stupid to comprehend what their speaker said.

If there was ever a question of this group's patrionism this shows it.

VIDEO: Tea Partiers Cheer the Downgrade of America's Credit Rating | Mother Jones

So are they anti-American or just plain stupid? Or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies