Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to agree that Congress cannot inhibit an individual's right to practice their religion (free exercise clause). But there has been a debate on whether the Establishment Clause prevents government from either inhibiting or advancing a particular religion.

What say you?

My belief: Congress can neither inhibit nor advance a particular religion and that establishes a wall of separation between church and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
I say freedom of religion has been twisted and twisted to the point where people think it means freedom from religion.My church married Me and My state divorced Me against My will and I got excommunicated as a result.I never even got or applied to the state for thier stupid marrige licence. but heck I got costudy of the kids . stupid gov aint my God but think they are.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
There is no debate. The government cannot establish or advance any particular religion in this country. Originally that only applied to Congress and the federal level. The USSC case, Gitlow v. New York applied it to state and local government as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I say freedom of religion has been twisted and twisted to the point where people think it means freedom from religion.My church married Me and My state divorced Me against My will and I got excommunicated as a result.I never even got or applied to the state for thier stupid marrige licence. but heck I got costudy of the kids . stupid gov aint my God but think they are.
I know what you mean.....who does the stupid government think they are? I bypassed them and went straight to my Lord to stamp my divorce papers. The ink was golden, too.

I also feel there should be no advancing of any particular religion.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I know what you mean.....who does the stupid government think they are? I bypassed them and went straight to my Lord to stamp my divorce papers. The ink was golden, too.

I also feel there should be no advancing of any particular religion.
I agree with you there.Separation of church and state means exactly that and the gov overstepped that in my case. your first statement was meant to be funny i guess? it wasn't

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM

There has to be some governmental regulation of marriage to establish minimal standards because not everyone in this country belongs to an organized religion. Suppose two atheists want to get married. Who will they go to in order to do that?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Everyone seems to agree that Congress cannot inhibit an individual's right to practice their religion (free exercise clause). But there has been a debate on whether the Establishment Clause prevents government from either inhibiting or advancing a particular religion.

What say you?

My belief: Congress can neither inhibit nor advance a particular religion and that establishes a wall of separation between church and state.
Government laws must:
must have a secular legislative purpose;
must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;
must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

So no, the government cannot advance a particular religion, it may inhibit religion so long as the law is neutral, and generally applicable, and the inhibition of religious practice is merely incidental (and an exemption would undermine the secular purpose of the law)

Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Atheism is also a form of religion... if you do then you advance one religion, if you don't then you advance the other religion... it says to separate church and state... it didn't say that state can't talk about religion...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 PM

they need an atheist church I guess if they wanna copy what us religious people do. but I guess a judge will do for them. you could get married,pay your traffic tickets,bail out your brother in law and sue your neighbor all in one trip. sounds romantic and blessed dont it

Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
they need an atheist church I guess if they wanna copy what us religious people do. but I guess a judge will do for them. you could get married,pay your traffic tickets,bail out your brother in law and sue your neighbor all in one trip. sounds romantic and blessed dont it
I think for a lot of people it is not the method of marriage that is important, but the meaning of it. Therefore, whoever marries a couple may not be important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies