Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'll take the wildflowers over a temporary bandaid on our energy problems.
Yep. We've wiped out enough species from this planet. Nothing is worth adding to that list. Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...hey!...i got a great idea, lets go back to living in caves and eating nuts and berries...living to the ripe old age of say, twenty-five....
You would eat berries!! How thoughtless of you, don't berries deserve to live and long a fruitful life?

All these idiot tree-hugers; while reaping the benefits of a century of technological evolution and a life of convieniences all due to a world powered by refining petroleum.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess nobody here washes their hair or mows their grass because petroleum is used in shampoo and well grass was given to us by the creator. How are you folks even on a computer? How many weeds were dug to run that fiber all over the country?
Lawns are stupid, and my natural soaps and shampoo have no petroleum in them.

We're not talking "weeds" like dandelions here.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Don't let a puddle of water form in your back yard after it rains. The EPA will declare it to be a 'wetland' and you will be banned from using it.
Can you imagine if there was envirowackos back in the 60', 70'. There would be no interstate highway system. They would have found an animal, plant, bird, insect, fish to stop every mile of the 40,000 mile system from being built.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You would eat berries!! How thoughtless of you, don't berries deserve to live and long a fruitful life?

All these idiot tree-hugers; while reaping the benefits of a century of technological evolution and a life of convieniences all due to a world powered by refining petroleum.

I see no need to get rid of our knowledge, but using it wisely would be a step up. We took the knowledge, used it as though we deserved it, and have been wiping out everything in our path ever since.

I don't see much in the way of balance on this planet.

I have been taking picture after picture as I've been flying down the highway in the Pacific Northwest of all the dead and dying trees. Actually, it's not just the trees, but the bushes, scrub, and weeds! It's heartbreaking.

But, I mean, who wants to breathe, anyway?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
From what I can tell, after having grown up with a whole lot of religion, worshipers of the Bible don't often make sense.

There are better solutions than this, for Pete's sake. No reason to overreact.
"I have seldom met an intelligent person whose views were not narrowed and distorted by religion." -- James Buchanan: from Rufus K. Noyes, Views of Religion, also James A. Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 PM

527 posts, read 467,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess nobody here washes their hair or mows their grass because petroleum is used in shampoo and well grass was given to us by the creator. How are you folks even on a computer? How many weeds were dug to run that fiber all over the country?
I know a weed that is currently illegal that has oil that can replace a lot of the industrial uses of petroleum- and lawns are NOT something given to us by any creator-lawns are man-made grass equivalants to wall to wall carpeting- grass is not meant to grow as lawns- in fact, I would outlaw lawns if it were up to me-I replaced my lawn with plants that grow without watering, and never use a lawnmower

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Lawns are stupid, and my natural soaps and shampoo have no petroleum in them.

We're not talking "weeds" like dandelions here.
Natural soap? I've never seen a soap plant. If there is natural soap how come the bears havn't built showers yet? Or do they just use waterfalls?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I know a weed that is currently illegal that has oil that can replace a lot of the industrial uses of petroleum- and lawns are NOT something given to us by any creator-lawns are man-made grass equivalants to wall to wall carpeting- grass is not meant to grow as lawns- in fact, I would outlaw lawns if it were up to me-I replaced my lawn with plants that grow without watering, and never use a lawnmower
So the US was a big pile of dirt before man arrived here?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM

527 posts, read 467,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

You obviously have little knowledge of natural ecology, watch who you call idiots- berries are MEANT to be eaten, so the animal or bird will spread the seeds naturally contained within (this was before man bred seedless fruits) to an area away from the original berry producing plant-maybe if more people took the time to learn about nature they would value and appreciate it more and not want to toss it under the bus (a bus powered by fossil fuels-which I find a very apt term for these fuels-they will make us fossils if we dont stop using them, and the people who keep insisting they are the best alternative are also fossils).
I think that giving up fossil fuels would lead to giving up technology, in fact if the world would give up oil , gas and other fossil fuelsm the technology developed to replace them would probably lead to a MUCH BETTER standard of life for all of us , the earth included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies