Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Who makes better products?
Most of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia, Europe, Latin America, etc., would fill the void and buy those cheaper, better products.

Prices in America would skyrocket since there's no more foreign competition, and Americans would be left financing their $65,000 Chevy Silverados for 12 years.

Any reason there won't be domestic competition?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some fools already finance $65,000 cars for 12 years. I just paid $2,500 for a 10 year old Buick that I expect will provide me with 5- 7 years of transportation. Even if it costs me a $1,000 in repairs per year (unlikely) I am way ahead of the automobile game because I do not play by the financier’s rules.
What you do is completely irrelevant. What's relevant is the prices that would increase, and the quality that would decrease.

Quote:
To reiterate our people need countervailing tariffs to maintain our society.
If by "reiterate", you mean, "stick your head in the sand and ignore the consequences i just pointed out", then I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Any reason there won't be domestic competition?
No, no reason. Domestic competition is simply insufficient to maintain the level of price and quality we currently enjoy.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should the workers be held hostage by the company thieves? We will need Unions so long as working for some company or another is the only way for most of us to make a living. Now if everyone were made a stockholder and shared all the profits of American industry and were not coerced into having to work we would not need unions to prevent worker exploitation. Then the companies would really have to pay to get some of the jobs done. After all how many annuity hippies are willing to work in a steel mill or a coal mine at survival wages?
Everyone isn't made a stockholder because they don't deserve it. If they want to invest capital in a "public" company then I'm sure they would be welcome to do so. Otherwise, you don't get something for nothing, generally. Ironically the same fiscal liberals who have advocated policies that have caused this jobless recovery are blaming the companies because their workers have no place else to go, thereby holding them hostage.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Most of the world.
Name me a company overseas that can compare to a Harley ? They are all rice burners...

Carolina Boot lasted 4 times as long as a Chinese pair... yes it was worth the added cost.

My 17 inch tires are American made the cheap Korean tires were a joke...

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is no doubt about that.

The cost to do business in the USA with the ability to move and make bigger profits as an importer instead of a manufacturer. What has that left us??

That sucking sound of jobs leaving the USA - Ross Perot

giant sucking sound

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
After the union gave concessions late year in benefits and wages the company's profits soared to $47.9 million from $25.3 million the year before yet American Axle STILL wanted deeper cuts in wages which would have amounted to workers taking a 50% reduction in pay over the past three years. Unions aren't the problem. American workers can't compete with other countries paying slave wages and with greedy corporations.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
After the union gave concessions late year in benefits and wages the company's profits soared to $47.9 million from $25.3 million a year ago yet American Axle STILL wanted deeper cuts in wages which would have amounted to them taking a 50% reduction over the past three years. Unions aren't the problem. American workers can't compete with other countries paying slave wages.
Link, please?

The article states that American Axle didn't ask for wage cuts, and also proposed transferring some operations from Mexico to the Buffalo area plant. The union rejected their proposal.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
American workers can't compete with other countries paying slave wages and with greedy corporations.
And this isn't a union problem??? How is that? How can we compete in the world and still have the highest wages in the modern world? That whole thought process is a damn oxymoron!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Name me a company overseas that can compare to a Harley ?
Ducati, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki. I don't ride bikes but I do know Harley isn't the only game in town.

Of course if you ride a Ducati, you can't walk around wearing Harley Davidson clothing head-to-toe, which seems to be the main appeal of driving a harley.

Quote:
They are all rice burners...
What does this mean? Asian? I try not to bring race into it.

Quote:
Carolina Boot lasted 4 times as long as a Chinese pair... yes it was worth the added cost.
Red Wings are the best boots i've ever owned, and they are made in China. I had an earlier American-made pair of Red Wings and I can't tell the difference.

Quote:
My 17 inch tires are American made the cheap Korean tires were a joke...
Your tires are only 17 inches? That's the size of my wheels. Hah. My BF Goodrich tires are about 31, 32 inches. Made in Alabama in a nonunion plant, owned by a French multinational.

If we enacted tarrifs, there would be no more reason for Harley Davidson to have to try and compete with BMW or Ducati or Suzuki, there would be no more reason for BF Goodrich to try and compete with Korean-made Hankook tires.

Last edited by le roi; 08-19-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies