Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them *shrug* Get over it already"

Yep we are well aware of your dislike for firearms as we have to assume your responsibilities.

Euro elitists live in a fantasy world where the US is treated with resenment whether in business or world affairs.

European diplomacy is ineffective and allows bad situations to fester. the US then has to save your butts well after infection sets in and it costs us dearly.

The least you can do is say 'thanks'.
Though this is England and not Europe we are discussing here it still seems lime prime time for a lil....friendly wager. I would hazard more gold goes home on US teams in shooting events than European and British combined. Asian teams will also dominate European and English teams for Gold Silver and Bronze.
The Philipines has produced some outstanding shooters as has Japan. They are the biggest threat to US shooters on the range. Any takers???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I guess it makes sense to stress that we are talking about civilian stuff here, not the military. We don't want weapons in our civilian lives here, but that doesn't mean that Europeans don't have their own armies.
Most of simply want a strict separation, not the odd mixing you have in the US or in Israel. Among the bulk of Europeans there is no fondness of guns and things military the way there is in the US, quite to the contrary. And I think that is a good development, given our violent history.

I remember that there were such sports disciplines on TV sometimes when I was a kid living in Germany. As far as I remember shooting was always connected to skiing and the Russians and Scandinavians were good at it.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess it makes sense to stress that we are talking about civilian stuff here, not the military. We don't want weapons in our civilian lives here, but that doesn't mean that Europeans don't have their own armies.
Most of simply want a strict separation, not the odd mixing you have in the US or in Israel. Among the bulk of Europeans there is no fondness of guns and things military the way there is in the US, quite to the contrary. And I think that is a good development, given our violent history.
The problem is that there are some people in America that do not get the idea that most Europeans do not want to be like them.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them *shrug* Get over it already"

Yep we are well aware of your dislike for firearms as we have to assume your responsibilities.

Euro elitists live in a fantasy world where the US is treated with resenment whether in business or world affairs.

European diplomacy is ineffective and allows bad situations to fester. the US then has to save your butts well after infection sets in and it costs us dearly.

The least you can do is say 'thanks'.
Actually, I see it the other way round. The US is dragging Europe and others into armed conflicts that are of no importance to Europe. You should thank us for helping you in Afghanistan etc.
When you look at the world today, the US has messed and screwed up with so many countries and cultures around the globe that it has become the key object of hate. There is a reason why Muslims for instance concentrate on the US and countries helping them. After all, the US is much closer to Islamic ideals than Europe is, Americans are much more Christian, much more religious, much more prudish, much more violent than Europeans, still Muslims hate the US, not the much more Atheist European countries.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
The demand from Schools in the UK was extremely small so the tickets were alloted to other users. It was wrong to deny anyone tickets to gun events but that has now been overturned and children can get tickets.
To think someone is a "sissy" or has a problem by NOT wanting guns is Moronic.
America has a HUGE problem because of the second amendment .... having millions of easily accessible guns does NOT make anyone safer as all you are doing is making gun ownership a necessity to combat criminals, druggies and 'nut jobs".
This stupid argument about the UK not minding using guns to protect themselves against Hitler etc. is senceless as Children were NOT given guns...only the armed forces and home guard.
If you want a comparrison of what stringent gun law means........... In the UK a Policeman can pull a car over without the constant fear of being shot... all the Policeman has is basically a "stick" to protect himself yet he can do his job effectively. In the USA you often see two, three, four or more surrounding a car when it is pulled over and yet many officers still get shot. So is it being a 'sissy" upholding the Law without a gun or with a gun?????????????
The UK does not want or need guns....... Simple......... it's a pity that American's need guns to feel safe.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The demand from Schools in the UK was extremely small so the tickets were alloted to other users. It was wrong to deny anyone tickets to gun events but that has now been overturned and children can get tickets.
To think someone is a "sissy" or has a problem by NOT wanting guns is Moronic.
America has a HUGE problem because of the second amendment .... having millions of easily accessible guns does NOT make anyone safer as all you are doing is making gun ownership a necessity to combat criminals, druggies and 'nut jobs".
This stupid argument about the UK not minding using guns to protect themselves against Hitler etc. is senceless as Children were NOT given guns...only the armed forces and home guard.
If you want a comparrison of what stringent gun law means........... In the UK a Policeman can pull a car over without the constant fear of being shot... all the Policeman has is basically a "stick" to protect himself yet he can do his job effectively. In the USA you often see two, three, four or more surrounding a car when it is pulled over and yet many officers still get shot. So is it being a 'sissy" upholding the Law without a gun or with a gun?????????????
The UK does not want or need guns....... Simple......... it's a pity that American's need guns to feel safe.
Exactly. I think that general feeling of safety due to the absence of guns among civilians makes life much more pleasant. In the US I would probably become paranoid, always wondering if someone looking at me in a fierce way might be up to something. I already felt unsafe because of the many drunks in Britain, although I knew they were not armed. Maybe also because of the heavy drinking in Britain it makes sense to keep gun ownership down, and thus interest in guns in the first place. It makes sense to try and avoid raising interest in guns among children. This way they are less likely to be interested in guns when they grow up.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Exactly. I think that general feeling of safety due to the absence of guns among civilians makes life much more pleasant. In the US I would probably become paranoid, always wondering if someone looking at me in a fierce way might be up to something. I already felt unsafe because of the many drunks in Britain, although I knew they were not armed. Maybe also because of the heavy drinking in Britain it makes sense to keep gun ownership down, and thus interest in guns in the first place. It makes sense to try and avoid raising interest in guns among children. This way they are less likely to be interested in guns when they grow up.
Absolutely!
Why is everything done with such venom and conflict here in the USA today? This seems to have infiltrated all walks of life here. Politics is now so hostile that it is like a War. Religion, Politics, Guns etc etc etc can NOT be a discussion but a "hate fest".
I do understand why many here in the USA feel that guns are needed as there is virtually no experience here or understanding of living in a Country with strict gun laws and no need or desire for guns in the home. To be in a home and think where can i put my gun in case i need it is a concept that is unthinkable in the UK. Citizens in the UK do not want guns or indeed need them.... this isn't to say there is NO violent crime in the UK but there is very very few gun deaths or massacres as in the USA from firearms. I remember the Beatles mocking America in their "Happiness is a warm gun" song.
Guns are here to stay in the USA...Wrong or Right...too late to change this or stop the countless gun deaths in the past or yet to come.
I cannot see why kids should not see sports using guns but a also cannot see why the testosterone love affair for the gun in America is a good idea.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Absolutely!
Why is everything done with such venom and conflict here in the USA today? This seems to have infiltrated all walks of life here. Politics is now so hostile that it is like a War. Religion, Politics, Guns etc etc etc can NOT be a discussion but a "hate fest".
I do understand why many here in the USA feel that guns are needed as there is virtually no experience here or understanding of living in a Country with strict gun laws and no need or desire for guns in the home. To be in a home and think where can i put my gun in case i need it is a concept that is unthinkable in the UK. Citizens in the UK do not want guns or indeed need them.... this isn't to say there is NO violent crime in the UK but there is very very few gun deaths or massacres as in the USA from firearms. I remember the Beatles mocking America in their "Happiness is a warm gun" song.
Guns are here to stay in the USA...Wrong or Right...too late to change this or stop the countless gun deaths in the past or yet to come.
I cannot see why kids should not see sports using guns but a also cannot see why the testosterone love affair for the gun in America is a good idea.
Testosterone love affair?! Swooning over us being mocked by idiotic lyrics?! And then in the same breath lament the lack of rational discussion. Human beings are rather prone to not being receptive to "discussion" with people who predicate their talking points with uninformed insults.
Yes, America has a tradition and culture that has use of firearms imbedded. We do have pride in that tradition. For myriad reasons.
So....if you want a "discussion" as to how and why that is as opposed to your society that you claim has "evolved" beyond a need for self defense, fine. Discuss it. Holding yourself up as an example of modern humanity by insulting those of us who own and use firearms here in the US is not a good way to start though....just sayin' I'm willing to bet I could get your dander up a bit with some lyrics from Jonny Horton describing American use of firearms to embarrass and humiliate an English army. Or perhaps insinuate that testosterone levels in the UK are a bit low and then theorize as to why. Would that put you on the prod?

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-28-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Testosterone love affair?! Swooning over us being mocked by idiotic lyrics?! And then in the same breath lament the lack of rational discussion. Human beings are rather prone to not being receptive to "discussion" with people who predicate their talking points with uninformed insults.
Yes, America has a tradition and culture that has use of firearms imbedded. We do have pride in that tradition. For myriad reasons.
So....if you want a "discussion" as to how and why that is as opposed to your society that you claim has "evolved" beyond a need for self defense, fine. Discuss it. Holding yourself up as an example of modern humanity by insulting those of us who own and use firearms here in the US is not a good way to start though....just sayin' I'm willing to bet I could get your dander up a bit with some lyrics from Jonny Horton describing American use of firearms to embarrass and humiliate an English army. Or perhaps insinuate that testosterone levels in the UK are a bit low and then theorize as to why. Would that put you on the prod?
Are you going out of your way to prove my point???

Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
This, from the nation who fought back and held tight against Hitler's Luftwaffe. What happened?

"Schoolchildren in London are eligible for 125,000 free tickets for the 2012 Olympics next Summer, but any event that involves a firearm will be excluded from the massive giveaway....."

"....City Hall and Olympic Organizers are afraid of an anti-gun backlash. That’s right — the powers that be in London won’t subject kids to such bloodsports as Skeet and Trap shooting......."

London Refuses Kids Tickets To Gun-Related Olympic Events
Good. Kids shouldn't be exposed to firearms. I'm not sure why shooting is an Olympic sport, anyway. What exactly is athletic about firing a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies