Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Call it naive, it works fine for me and almost all other Europeans. Weapons used in self-defense only serve to take care of the symptoms of a sick society, i.e. when it is too late already. I am happy to live in a place where there simply is no violent crime, where I can walk alone in the darkest streets at midnight without having to worry about crime. I don't have to defend myself here because there simply is no threat.
Lots of people in Europe will disagree with you. Mainly people that live in Brussels, The Hague, Amsterdam, Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bradford, Oldham, Glasgow, Berlin, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Oslo, Malmö, Paris, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lots of people in Europe will disagree with you. Mainly people that live in Brussels, The Hague, Amsterdam, Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bradford, Oldham, Glasgow, Berlin, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Oslo, Malmö, Paris, etc.
In most of those places you don't have to defend yourself against anyone. Have you ever even been to or lived in the places you mention? Düsseldorf?!? That is one of the most boring and safest big cities you can imagine. A friend of mine lives there with his family. If I told him he needs a gun to defend himself he would laugh his head off
Manchester has rough neighborhoods, yes, but reasonable people know it and avoid them, thus no need to defend themselves.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
This, from the nation who fought back and held tight against Hitler's Luftwaffe. What happened?

"Schoolchildren in London are eligible for 125,000 free tickets for the 2012 Olympics next Summer, but any event that involves a firearm will be excluded from the massive giveaway....."

"....City Hall and Olympic Organizers are afraid of an anti-gun backlash. That’s right — the powers that be in London won’t subject kids to such bloodsports as Skeet and Trap shooting......."

London Refuses Kids Tickets To Gun-Related Olympic Events

If they want to go to a gun event, they can, their parents can buy them a ticket. End of outrage.
Few go to these events to start with.......most kids would be board in minutes.

Last edited by plannine; 08-27-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Many shooting events are actually kind of boring if you don't really understand them. They don't depict Hollywood street shoot outs with fake blood and gore and bodies strewn about.

Its lime folks are supposed to think the discipline of hitting a target consistently is wildly violent mayhem waiting to bust out and lay waste. So, once again, it seems that it is not required to actually have knowledge of something in order to condemn it. Shooting events does not equate to violence. Not even...
True, the events are mostly yawn-inducing, even to many that appreciate the discipline.

The biathlon (cross-country skiing and rifle shooting) is perhaps a little more exciting. I've acquired a minor interest in that event and have wanted to try my hand at it.... one of these days. That's a Winter Games event, though.

Mildly amusing, perhaps, how uptight some Europeans get about firearms, but yet some of the finest precision target rifles in the world (like Anschutz, etc...) are made in Europe.

Also, the biathlon is apparently the number one televised Olympic sport in Europe; 20 million people across Europe tune in for the prime time coverage.

Apparently there might not be as many Euro-**** who are uppity about the sport of shooting as we might believe, listening to a select few of the more rabid anti-all-things-firearm-even-harmlessly-shooting-at-target types. Apparently, as far as winter Olympic sports go, they are pretty wild about it over there lately, whereas it's somewhat obscure here in the United States. It may be more popular in Nordic and eastern european countries because of their skiing heritage (having developed that sport as a type of physical training with military application)... at least they still appreciate it.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 08-27-2011 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
I felt far safer in most of those cities, then I do in many cities across the south and southwest areas of the USA.

Even when I visit family in Haifa (Israel) I feel safer then in some cities in those regions.

Last edited by plannine; 08-27-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
True, the events are mostly yawn-inducing, even to many that appreciate the discipline.

The biathlon (cross-country skiing and rifle shooting) is perhaps a little more exciting. I've acquired a minor interest in that event and have wanted to try my hand at it.... one of these days. That's a Winter Games event, though.

Mildly amusing, perhaps, how uptight some Europeans get about firearms, but yet some of the finest precision target rifles in the world (like Anschutz, etc...) are made in Europe.

Also, the biathlon is apparently the number one televised Olympic sport in Europe; 20 million people across Europe tune in for the prime time coverage.

Apparently there might not be as many Euro-**** who are uppity about the sport of shooting as we might believe, listening to a select few of the more rabid anti-all-things-firearm-even-harmlessly-shooting-at-target types. Apparently, as far as winter Olympic sports go, they are pretty wild about it over there lately, whereas it's somewhat obscure here in the United States. It may be more popular in Nordic and eastern european countries because of their skiing heritage (having developed that sport as a type of physical training with military application)... at least they still appreciate it.
There are a couple more exciting disciplines that have been added somewhat recently. USPSA style shooting has been added under "Action Pistol" label and I think Steel Challenge as well. These events are a bit more exciting than Slow Fire Bullseye or Biathalon.
These events are heavily US dominated but there are a few Euro and more than a few Asian shooters that rock steady. Some of the US teams top hands are Asian with KC Esibio being one that sticks out. I have watched that kid since he was 11 and he was making a splash back then. That was 88 I believe. He's a prodigy.
I love watching shooting events. My son.has aspirations of going pro someday so we compete too. Lol...heavily....so watching may not bore us as much as some.
I have to agree that the Euros tend to be a bit snooty ......they are in every event...not just shooting, and they flare HATE being beat by Americans.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM

499 posts, read 405,137 times
Quote:
This, from the nation who fought back and held tight against Hitler's Luftwaffe. What happened?

"Schoolchildren in London are eligible for 125,000 free tickets for the 2012 Olympics next Summer, but any event that involves a firearm will be excluded from the massive giveaway....."

"....City Hall and Olympic Organizers are afraid of an anti-gun backlash. That’s right — the powers that be in London won’t subject kids to such bloodsports as Skeet and Trap shooting......."

Public opinion is still...not exactly anti-gun, but not overly for them either. Saying that, I don't fully understand this ban.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM

499 posts, read 405,137 times
Quote:
Except Northern Ireland they have a much higher rate of gun ownership than the rest of the UK. It's very curious that even though guns are almost illegal in England, most homicides are committed by knife stabbings and the like. All gun restrictions did in England was take the power out of self-defense the ordinary, law-abiding citizen and placed it with the bumbling, inefficient, politically correct police force and now the criminals have the upper-hand since they are most likely to have a much stronger build and wield a knife better than the average person. It takes skill to use a knife for self-defense, it doesn't take much to shoot someone at close range. What gun crime affects the U.S., knife crime affects England
Northern Ireland has slightly different gun ownership laws.

NI was hardly a shining beacon of civil order.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:

Aren't you lefties even a little embarrassed by this?

This is why most see the liberal/progressive thought pattern as moronic.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
"We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them *shrug* Get over it already"

Yep we are well aware of your dislike for firearms as we have to assume your responsibilities.

Euro elitists live in a fantasy world where the US is treated with resenment whether in business or world affairs.

European diplomacy is ineffective and allows bad situations to fester. the US then has to save your butts well after infection sets in and it costs us dearly.

The least you can do is say 'thanks'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies