Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Seriously, who fricking cares? Did anyone on here really give a scat about what Olympic events English kids were allowed to go to until this article came up. Oh, but it involves guns, so now American posters on here(who will never go to the London Olympics, don't really care about what goes on in England for the most part, and have no stake in the matter) suddenly have to get their panties in a bunch.

Hey, I support the 2nd amendment, but sometimes y'all can be tad over-dramatic. Let the Europeans decide their own gun laws and let England decide how they want to run their Olympics.
When you host a world event like the Olympics you have to accept the competition events. If they want to restrict viewers, they should NOT have applied for the honor of hosting the games.

I'd be willing to bet that if they had made this decision known to the committee beforehand, they would NOT have been chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
When you host a world event like the Olympics you have to accept the competition events. If they want to restrict viewers, they should NOT have applied for the honor of hosting the games.

I'd be willing to bet that if they had made this decision known to the committee beforehand, they would NOT have been chosen.
They are not restricting "viewers". This is about free tickets. If parents want to take their kids to gun related events they are perfectly free to buy tickets for those events.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Good question. But there hasn't been any wars in Western Europe since the end of World War II.
Thanks entirely to the occupation of Europe since WWII by the US.

Quote:
However in the Balkans--where there were wars as recent as the 90s, there seemed to be a lot of guns. During the wars in Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo just about every male, whether Croatian, Bosniak, Serbian, or Albanian probably had a gun at one point.

Even today though there are some areas in places I went in the Balkans where bars would have signs not to bring your guns inside. This wasn't some liberal state policy, this was a bar worried about rough characters getting in an argument and settling it with guns. Due to the huge stockpiles that still exist in the region I've heard that a lot of the illegal firearms in the rest of Europe used by criminals come from this region.
Former Yugoslavia (now Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Montenegro) was the center for the manufacture of AK-47s. So it is not surprising that there would be an abundance of those weapons all over place.

Everyone carries a firearm in Alaska as well, but in the 20 years I have lived in Alaska I have only seen one restaurant/bar that had a sign that said "No firearms."

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Interesting thing about this restriction of tickets to these events is that said events are being painted as being hyper violent gladiatorial games or some such nonsense simply because firearms are involved. Tar Kwon Do, boxing, and other combative arts, that these same people cringing at shooting events would wildly cheer, are far more violent.
Many shooting events are actually kind of boring if you don't really understand them. They don't depict Hollywood street shoot outs with fake blood and gore and bodies strewn about. Its lime folks are supposed to think the discipline of hitting a target consistently is wildly violent mayhem waiting to bust out and lay waste.
So, once again, it seems that it is not required to actually have knowledge of something in order to condemn it. Shooting events does not equate to violence. Not even...

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting thing about this restriction of tickets to these events is that said events are being painted as being hyper violent gladiatorial games or some such nonsense simply because firearms are involved. Tar Kwon Do, boxing, and other combative arts, that these same people cringing at shooting events would wildly cheer, are far more violent.
Many shooting events are actually kind of boring if you don't really understand them. They don't depict Hollywood street shoot outs with fake blood and gore and bodies strewn about. Its lime folks are supposed to think the discipline of hitting a target consistently is wildly violent mayhem waiting to bust out and lay waste.
So, once again, it seems that it is not required to actually have knowledge of something in order to condemn it. Shooting events does not equate to violence. Not even...

Once again, tickets are not being restricted. We are talking about free tickets. There is no restriction on tickets being purchased.

I do wish you people would take the time to read the OP's link.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thanks entirely to the occupation of Europe since WWII by the US.

Former Yugoslavia (now Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Montenegro) was the center for the manufacture of AK-47s. So it is not surprising that there would be an abundance of those weapons all over place.

Everyone carries a firearm in Alaska as well, but in the 20 years I have lived in Alaska I have only seen one restaurant/bar that had a sign that said "No firearms."
And your point is? It's not suprising there's a ton of weapons in the Balkans and it's a little more dangerous than Alaska because you have a whole generation that spent much of the 90s fighting in inter-ethnic wars. Who's talking about a bar in Alaska?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Once again, tickets are not being restricted. We are talking about free tickets. There is no restriction on tickets being purchased.

I do wish you people would take the time to read the OP's link.
Oh for pitys sake! Fine...I will buy the semantics of it....."interesting thing about not allowing the free tickets to kids for these events" insert original post......better? No matter how you choose to word it I can't see how it matters. Everything I said still applys. But I will make sure to use the exact wording that seems to be prerequisite to your point from here on.
Though it changes little.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, you are being very naive.

Maybe you need to do some research.

As long as there are bad people, and there will ALWAYS be, self defense is your best chance.

Home*|*The Armed Citizen

Read some of these.
Call it naive, it works fine for me and almost all other Europeans. Weapons used in self-defense only serve to take care of the symptoms of a sick society, i.e. when it is too late already. I am happy to live in a place where there simply is no violent crime, where I can walk alone in the darkest streets at midnight without having to worry about crime. I don't have to defend myself here because there simply is no threat.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They are not restricting "viewers". This is about free tickets. If parents want to take their kids to gun related events they are perfectly free to buy tickets for those events.
" any event that involves a firearm will be excluded from the massive giveaway....."

If I "restrict" who can and cannot get free tickets I am restricting viewership.

in America we call that discrimination.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Call it naive, it works fine for me and almost all other Europeans. Weapons used in self-defense only serve to take care of the symptoms of a sick society, i.e. when it is too late already. I am happy to live in a place where there simply is no violent crime, where I can walk alone in the darkest streets at midnight without having to worry about crime. I don't have to defend myself here because there simply is no threat.
I am glad YOU live in a place of NO violence. Unfortunately most of the rest of the world does not.

You can't equate your situation with others.

No violence would be great but, until that happens being able to defend my family and myself is my first responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies