Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Little Britain USA: America's Love for Guns - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Typical liberal Brit. A Bushmaster is not a machine gun a M249 SAW is. I bet he doesn't know what a barrel shroud is

Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Knives are far better for a robber because they are very intimidating. They are also quiet until your victim starts screaming. It is also a lot more difficult to kill with a knife than a gun. Principally because you have to get closer to your victim and you are more likely to inflict recoverable wounds than a sudden kill. This is probably why the murder rate is so low. More victims are either intimidated or just wounded during a robbery.

I wonder if the use of light personal armor that will stop a knife thrust is common in Britain. Or is that illegal as well? I would not be surprised if they were.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Hmm lets see -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And yet, the UK has a murder rate which is a fraction of the murder rate in the USA. This suggests that Brits have much less need for guns as a means of self-defense than do Americans.

UK is violent crime capital of Europe - Telegraph

The question is, since Americans have more guns, is that a factor in the reduced number of violent crimes in the U.S. .

Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Knives are far better for a robber because they are very intimidating. They are also quiet until your victim starts screaming. It is also a lot more difficult to kill with a knife than a gun. Principally because you have to get closer to your victim and you are more likely to inflict recoverable wounds than a sudden kill. This is probably why the murder rate is so low. More victims are either intimidated or just wounded during a robbery.

I wonder if the use of light personal armor that will stop a knife thrust is common in Britain. Or is that illegal as well? I would not be surprised if they were.
Russin mosin nagant @ big5 right now for 99 bucks!

M91/30

Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

That's what I said before. Almost anyone can use a gun, especially at close range. But it takes more strength and skill to be able to use a knife. And, like you said, knives are silent until the victim starts screaming, and they are a hell of a lot easier to conceal.

Remember also that the UK has a high rate of "knife crime" as opposed to all other crimes.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I said before. Almost anyone can use a gun, especially at close range. But it takes more strength and skill to be able to use a knife. And, like you said, knives are silent until the victim starts screaming, and they are a hell of a lot easier to conceal.

Remember also that the UK has a high rate of "knife crime" as opposed to all other crimes.

Just like a Brit bringing a knife to a gun fight.. LOL

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
I have wondered what happened to all the military guns left behind after the innumerable battles fought all over Europe. I cannot imagine they were all collected and melted down.
The Russkies picked up a lot of the Mauser 98Ks and have been putting them on the open market for the last few years.

Also selling their Mosin Nagants.

They're affordable, well made and fun shooters, imo.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Except Northern Ireland they have a much higher rate of gun ownership than the rest of the UK. It's very curious that even though guns are almost illegal in England, most homicides are committed by knife stabbings and the like. All gun restrictions did in England was take the power out of self-defense the ordinary, law-abiding citizen and placed it with the bumbling, inefficient, politically correct police force and now the criminals have the upper-hand since they are most likely to have a much stronger build and wield a knife better than the average person. It takes skill to use a knife for self-defense, it doesn't take much to shoot someone at close range. What gun crime affects the U.S., knife crime affects England
Actually, according to their Home Secretary (if I recall the title correctly) gun crime is up in England. Go figure.

I posted the link to the newspaper article some time ago.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Actually, according to their Home Secretary (if I recall the title correctly) gun crime is up in England. Go figure.

I posted the link to the newspaper article some time ago.
Well whatdya know? The same thing is happening in Canada as well, despite having the requirement that ALL firearms must be registered throughout Canada

This isn't about self-defense or crime. The rank-and-file liberal will believe that horrendous lie but the policy makers know very well it doesn't work. They do it so you are helpless and condition you that you have to run to the government to rescue you when things go wrong or to defend yourself, and to take care of yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies