Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The demand from Schools in the UK was extremely small so the tickets were alloted to other users. It was wrong to deny anyone tickets to gun events but that has now been overturned and children can get tickets.
To think someone is a "sissy" or has a problem by NOT wanting guns is Moronic.
America has a HUGE problem because of the second amendment .... having millions of easily accessible guns does NOT make anyone safer as all you are doing is making gun ownership a necessity to combat criminals, druggies and 'nut jobs".
This stupid argument about the UK not minding using guns to protect themselves against Hitler etc. is senceless as Children were NOT given guns...only the armed forces and home guard.
If you want a comparrison of what stringent gun law means........... In the UK a Policeman can pull a car over without the constant fear of being shot... all the Policeman has is basically a "stick" to protect himself yet he can do his job effectively. In the USA you often see two, three, four or more surrounding a car when it is pulled over and yet many officers still get shot. So is it being a 'sissy" upholding the Law without a gun or with a gun?????????????
The UK does not want or need guns....... Simple......... it's a pity that American's need guns to feel safe.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Good. Kids shouldn't be exposed to firearms. I'm not sure why shooting is an Olympic sport, anyway. What exactly is athletic about firing a gun?
I see nothing wrong with teaching kids to shoot. I learned to shoot at high school .... in the UK And my school still offers shooting.

Senior School - Non-Academic

However, there is a huge difference between teaching kids how to use weapons responsibly and under supervision and widespread availability of firearms in the home and in the street. Most Brits do not want the latter. Some Americans need to understand that it is not an all or nothing situation. There is a middle ground that many Europeans are comfortable with.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I see nothing wrong with teaching kids to shoot. I learned to shoot at high school .... in the UK And my school still offers shooting.

Senior School - Non-Academic

However, there is a huge difference between teaching kids how to use weapons responsibly and under supervision and widespread availability of firearms in the home and in the street. Most Brits do not want the latter. Some Americans need to understand that it is not an all or nothing situation. There is a middle ground that many Europeans are comfortable with.
Be careful Jaggy, you are being far too reasonable.
Waiting to see the response.
well said!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Though this is England and not Europe we are discussing here it still seems lime prime time for a lil....friendly wager. I would hazard more gold goes home on US teams in shooting events than European and British combined. Asian teams will also dominate European and English teams for Gold Silver and Bronze.
The Philipines has produced some outstanding shooters as has Japan. They are the biggest threat to US shooters on the range. Any takers???
You'd get even more Gold Medals in shooting if you dress the targets up as store clerks or policemen... very sad.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
You'd get even more Gold Medals in shooting if you dress the targets up as store clerks or policemen... very sad.
Gawwwwwd! Tried to make this a freindly sporting type of banter. Whatever....this is the "highly evolved " Europeans we been hearing about? .....is right

Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Are you going out of your way to prove my point???
Actually you have proved mine. You don't want a discussion. You want to toss insults. Seems you cometely missed MY point. That being...if I start out by insulting you...you would react with anger...or..is that what you are fishing for with your comments? All I did was cite examples of a reverse situation that would fire things up if they were to preface an exchange of ideas. How does that "prove your point"? Whatever point that is....you might need to clarify that some. I'm not the one fishing for a fight here...you are. I have zero problem with a proper discussion bout this with you..so...ifn you back off...so will I and we can start fresh. Fair enough?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Gawwwwwd! Tried to make this a freindly sporting type of banter. Whatever....this is the "highly evolved " Europeans we been hearing about? .....is right
Of course it was a rather provocative thing to say, but then again, even if one doesn't deliberately shoot at a living being, I think that thought is still present at the subconscious level (similar issue as with ego shooter video games). I mean, what else is the point in shooting at a dead object as a sport? Only to prove you don't have a vision problem and you don't shiver too much?

Last edited by Neuling; 08-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: logical mistake corrected

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course it was a rather provocative thing to say, but then again, even if one doesn't deliberately shoot at a living being, I think that thought is still present at the conscious level (similar issue as with ego shooter video games). I mean, what else is the point in shooting at a dead object as a sport? Only to prove you don't have a vision problem and you don't shiver too much?
Ok.......... To be able to discuss something i would imagine that you would have to have some reliable or first hand knowledge of what you are discussing.
Having lived in both the UK and the USA I have first hand knowledge of how both countries deal with the gun issue. I also have first hand knowledge of what it is like to live under both systems.... I can bring this to the table.
Exactly what knowledge do you have of both the UK and the USA gun culture and what do you base your opinions on?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
And your point is? It's not suprising there's a ton of weapons in the Balkans and it's a little more dangerous than Alaska because you have a whole generation that spent much of the 90s fighting in inter-ethnic wars. Who's talking about a bar in Alaska?
It is far more dangerous in former Yugoslavia than it ever will be in Alaska because Alaskans do not feel the need to ethnically cleanse. The very first thing that happened in Yugoslavia after breaking up in 1990 was Croatia ethnically cleansing all the Bosnians out of their country. This was followed by the Serbs ethnically cleansing Bosnians, and Albanians ethnically cleansing Kosovo with NATO and US assistance.

These morons have devolved, believing there is a difference in the species. That is why they are far more dangerous than Alaskans ever will be. Not because of their weapons, but rather because of their stupidity.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Ok.......... To be able to discuss something i would imagine that you would have to have some reliable or first hand knowledge of what you are discussing.
Having lived in both the UK and the USA I have first hand knowledge of how both countries deal with the gun issue. I also have first hand knowledge of what it is like to live under both systems.... I can bring this to the table.
Exactly what knowledge do you have of both the UK and the USA gun culture and what do you base your opinions on?
He's from Germany now living in Portugal. So he's been probably brainwashed into believing guns might bring out the inner Nazi in all Germans or something For that record, no gun I ever shot has brought out any blood-thirsty barbarian in my blood (I'm 1/4 German). I really suggest he join a gun club and have some fun. My gf's family (who are all English) belong to a gun club and have a positive opinion and experience about guns. Go figure. The ones who are hoplophobic usually never handled a gun in their life, much less shot one. Guns are no more bad than hammers or knives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course it was a rather provocative thing to say, but then again, even if one doesn't deliberately shoot at a living being, I think that thought is still present at the subconscious level (similar issue as with ego shooter video games). I mean, what else is the point in shooting at a dead object as a sport? Only to prove you don't have a vision problem and you don't shiver too much?
Neuling, I never had the urge to shoot a living, breathing person because I used to play Counter-Strike and Goldeneye 007, I owned a rifle before and shot at targets and never thought of shooting others before. Where do you get your ideas from??? I think you really need to spend some time in the U.S. and/or Switzerland because the gun-free bubble you lived in Germany and Portugal is clouding your judgment. Join a shooting club over there and have some fun. I'm sure you'll like it. Guns are no more bad than hammers or knives. They are tools, nothing more. Guns are not possessed by some evil spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies