Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I said it strengthened west of that area good grief. I am local to that area hence my post. Work on your interpersonal skills cause clearly you are lacking in this area based on this childish and snarky post. Here you go read it and work on it.Interpersonal skills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I see you are still posting but have yet to address this post. Are you a coward kshe95girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
I see you are still posting but have yet to address this post. Are you a coward kshe95girl?
Why dont we work on your meteorological skills instead?
On what planet is an EF4 not a problem?
Seems as though you are the coward in failing to address your initial statement.
Lets work in that issue first, and then we will work on the issue that you seem to have have about women.....

Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times
Welcome to ignore kshe95girl.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The thing is, we are not in a particularly high risk area at all, but one would think we are.
And you are correct about the insurance companies....the bean counters always win, you know?
Ironic, we also own a farm in MO, all the way across the state from Joplin, and they are trying to jack up our rates there, also
Sorry to hear they are attempting to increase the insurance rates.
As you are aware and some posters are aware Missouri happens to flood.

Mo is a great state and the unfortunate thing is what gave Missouri its fortunes also is something that has caused many its misfortune - the mighty mississippi

there is certainly no doubt weather disaster can and will strike anyplace

the point - most people are fully aware of the odds of the disaster striking in their particular area

a huge warning sign or a red flag would be forced flood insurance or at the least an insurance rate that is abnormally high compared to other states or areas

this is just a simple observation and no vermont does not seem like a high risk area

you can google any random article and it will let you know the states that are expensive and the reason being is the chance of weather related claims

Just an FYI- Texas was the most expensive and WISC was the least

Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Welcome to ignore kshe95girl.
The only way I know you exist is when you quote my posts.
Cuts both ways, my dear.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Trouble with the EF5 powerhouse tornadoes is they pretty much destroy above ground structures so a large loss of life is to be expected in a high population area like Joplin Missouri. I watched that particular supercell closely and it was tornado warned deep into southeast Kansas but looked to be falling apart then cycled into a monster rapidly just to the southwest of Joplin. Stormchaser video shows that tornado went from nothing to a little rope to a violent wedge tornado in just over one minute which is incredible to watch. Hard to prepare for something so violent in short order.
I see your point and on top of the comment about preparing , people located in tornado alley are used to a tornado

Your comments makes it sound like the Joplin area knew a storm was heading in its direction but because it was not likely to be a superstorm people did not take cover?

I have followed weather for a long time and one thing is for sure, a storm is unpredictable.

Since your from Joplin I was curious to a cople of things
1. What type of watch was posted and for how long
2.when the tornado sirens went off how long was it before the twister hit Joplin
3. Sure i can find this online but did the storm follow the tradional path from sw to ne
Where I live in Illinois we do get a tornado but the ef 3, 4, and 5 are very rare.
They happend in Plainfield and Oak Lawn, IL and it was pure devastation

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I see your point and on top of the comment about preparing , people located in tornado alley are used to a tornado

Your comments makes it sound like the Joplin area knew a storm was heading in its direction but because it was not likely to be a superstorm people did not take cover?

I have followed weather for a long time and one thing is for sure, a storm is unpredictable.

Since your from Joplin I was curious to a cople of things
1. What type of watch was posted and for how long
2.when the tornado sirens went off how long was it before the twister hit Joplin
3. Sure i can find this online but did the storm follow the tradional path from sw to ne
Where I live in Illinois we do get a tornado but the ef 3, 4, and 5 are very rare.
They happend in Plainfield and Oak Lawn, IL and it was pure devastation
In post #86 you stated regarding people who live in hurricane prone areas:
"I see your point some people have built on hurricane prone areas or in low lying areas fully aware of the impending outcome of a disaster
because their lack of judgement the rest of us pay".

I guess you have poor judgement as well being that you get tornadoes where you live and now the rest of us have to pay.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM

No,
Respectfully, You must not be aware of the EF scale rating of a tornado
here is a link to explain the differences Fujita scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everycorner of this country can have a tornado
Same as a fire

Someone who builds a house on a beach in the Florida keys is far likely prone to have a hurricane with damaging winds, floods and a tornado

The differnce between what happend in Joplin and a f0 or f1 tornado is huge

Just an FYI an F0 and f1 tornado is less severe than straight line winds
in fact if you look at the chart I provided an f0 is just small broken limbs on trees and pretty much nothing more than just a physical shape of a tornado with little if any damage at all
an f4 adn f5 are pure devastation these type of tornados occur mainly in the heartland of the usa
from north dakota clear down into texas

I also posted yesterday the most expensive state for homeowners insurance is texas and the lowest state is in nearby wisconsin
the difference is the likihood of inclimate weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...nado_alley.gif

If you do not know your facts then you should not insult my post

As my post is very accurate The plainfield, IL tornado was way back in the early 90's and the Oak Lawn Tornado was way back in the 60's just a blip on the radar screen. The chances of Northern Illinois having a f5 tornado are historically almost nill
F0 40–72 64–116 38.9% 10–50 Light damage.
Some damage to chimneys; branches broken off trees; shallow-rooted trees pushed over; sign boards damaged.

F1 73–112 117–180 35.6% 30–150 Moderate damage.
The lower limit is the beginning of hurricane wind speed; peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos pushed off the roads; attached garages may be destroyed.

F2 113–157 181–253 19.4% 110–250 Significant damage.
Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars overturned; large trees snapped or uprooted; highrise windows broken and blown in; light-object missiles generated.

F3 158–206 254–332 4.9% 200–500 Severe damage.
Roofs and some walls torn off well-constructed houses; most trees in forest uprooted; skyscrapers twisted and deformed with massive destruction of exteriors; heavy cars lifted off the ground and thrown.

F4 207–260 333–418 1.1% 400–900 Devastating damage.
Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown away some distance; trains overturned; cars thrown and large missiles generated. Skyscrapers and highrises toppled and destroyed.

F5 261–318 419–512 <0.1% 1100 ~ Incredible damage.
Strong frame houses lifted off foundations and carried considerable distances to disintegrate; automobile sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 m (109 yd); trees debarked; steel reinforced concrete structures badly damaged.

*Fujita's initial wind speed estimates have since been found to be highly inaccurate. See Enhanced Fujita Scale

The following is a map that has a table comparing hurricane prone areas in the US
this also backs my claim and yes if you buld a home on a beach or near water you are far likely to have damage from a hurricane
http://www.escambia-emergency.com/Hu...anual/risk.pdf

So you can see my reasoning behind this and this is not a blame game of gotcha - these are facts not assumptions but pure facts.
so know your insulting comment does not hold any merit

If its one thing I have learned on this thread people are insulting and try to play a blame game or a gotcha type of an attitude
why cant anyone have a reasonalbe frindly exchange is everyone that wound up on this board

A homeowners policy in Illinois is far less expensive than most parts of the united states and this is further proof to back my claim

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 09-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
In post #86 you stated regarding people who live in hurricane prone areas:
"I see your point some people have built on hurricane prone areas or in low lying areas fully aware of the impending outcome of a disaster
because their lack of judgement the rest of us pay".

I guess you have poor judgement as well being that you get tornadoes where you live and now the rest of us have to pay.
Not to mention I also stated in black and white the large destrutctive tornado is very rare.
Did you even bother to read that comment?
It appears your just looking to argue !

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Guess if your entire town is flattened and 160 folks killed your on your own. Gotta get those elevators working in NY.

Now it's up to congress.

"Josephson says it'll be up to Congress to restore full funding to disaster areas including parts of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee."

Some FEMA money for Joplin on hold after Irene | KMOV.com St. Louis
I guess they are implementing Eric Cantor's position that in order for disaster spending to be allocated to Hurricane Irene clean up it has to be cut from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies