Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Not only are roads under water but they are collapsing underneath cars. So far roads on two major highways have collapsed in New Jersey. I'm not sure if this has occured in any of the other States. Folks need to thing before they attempt to run their mouths. I lost everything in the lower level of my home. Three of my relatives have more than likely lost their home because of the amount of flooding. I'm thankful everyday that my children are safe. But you best damn believe with the amount of taxes I pay each year on top of Property taxes, I'm not trying to hear about Joplin right now.
Right, because those folks in Joplin didn't pay any taxes at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I hears close to 2 million total across all the states impacted.
Define impacted. Had to buy a few extra loaves of bread and some batteries? Heaven help you when a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane comes your way.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Flood insurance is not covered by home insurance. Many people will not be covered.
Right. Those homeowners could have gotten flood insurance. I have it, although there hasn't been a major flood in my area for quite some time.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Thousands without homes, that will be good to go once the floods subside. In MO, those homes are GONE.

As for power. Dallas/Fort Worth had record breaking winter weather last year. Roads were closed, businesses closed, thousands without power. Yet they still managed to put their big boy panties on and host a SuperBowl. What bunch of pansies east-coasters are.

Your saying that to say what? The East coast as well was hit with record breaking snow storms. The point your attempting to make to negate the impact of the Hurricane?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Right, because those folks in Joplin didn't pay any taxes at all.

Who said they didn't? Still waiting for the point your attempting to make.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Your saying that to say what? The East coast as well was hit with record breaking snow storms. The point your attempting to make to negate the impact of the Hurricane?
Not at all. But to be clear, it was a tropical storm once it hit the upper east coast.

My point was to say that the impact on new england is no less devastating than in MO.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Who said they didn't? Still waiting for the point your attempting to make.
Just responding to the fact that the hurricane victims deserve the money because they paid taxes.

This whole "I pretend to not understand" when things get uncomfortable is getting so old.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Not at all. But to be clear, it was a tropical storm once it hit the upper east coast.

My point was to say that the impact on new england is no less devastating than in MO.

Not one poster on this board has minimized Joplin or any other area's of our country that has been hit by sometype of catastrophy weather. No matter if it was a Tropical Storm or a a 2000 lb elephant running down the street, the fact of the matter is, milliions are without power, Homes have been destroyed, roads are collapsing and towns are underwater. To minimize this event due to the labeling shows how Ugly folks have become to turn tragedy into Politics.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Quote:
Thousands without homes, that will be good to go once the floods subside. In MO, those homes are GONE.

As for power. Dallas/Fort Worth had record breaking winter weather last year. Roads were closed, businesses closed, thousands without power. Yet they still managed to put their big boy panties on and host a SuperBowl. What bunch of pansies east-coasters are.
Exactly. And stop telling me how many homes are without power. That has nothing to do with FEMA funds.

Also, please keep in mind the disparity in wealth between NYC and Joplin, MO. I think it will be a lot easier for New Yorkers to go without for a little while. I am reminded of when my sister in Orange County CA was evacuated due to fire. They had a Red Cross shelter set up and it was totally empty, but the Ritz Carlton was totally booked.

Please, PLEASE don't forget the people of Joplin:
Aerial Photographs of Joplin Before and After the Tornado - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Just responding to the fact that the hurricane victims deserve the money because they paid taxes.

This whole "I pretend to not understand" when things get uncomfortable is getting so old.

I stand by my statement, I lost half of my home this weekend. Do you honestly think I'm sitting here worrying about the folks in Joplin? I can tell you right now, Joplin's not worrying about NJ which is evident. My heart was with them before August 27, 2011, now the focus is on me and my family. By the way, where did I say you didn't understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies