Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Thousands without homes, that will be good to go once the floods subside. In MO, those homes are GONE.

As for power. Dallas/Fort Worth had record breaking winter weather last year. Roads were closed, businesses closed, thousands without power. Yet they still managed to put their big boy panties on and host a SuperBowl. What bunch of pansies east-coasters are.
Record breaking winter weather for Dallas/Fort Worth is just another winter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Exactly. And stop telling me how many homes are without power. That has nothing to do with FEMA funds.

Also, please keep in mind the disparity in wealth between NYC and Joplin, MO. I think it will be a lot easier for New Yorkers to go without for a little while. I am reminded of when my sister in Orange County CA was evacuated due to fire. They had a Red Cross shelter set up and it was totally empty, but the Ritz Carlton was totally booked.

Please, PLEASE don't forget the people of Joplin:
Aerial Photographs of Joplin Before and After the Tornado - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

No one is saying FEMA funds has anything to do with the power. We're stating the Impact of the Hurricane across 8 states. The fact that folks are minimizing the impact because it occured in "Liberal" states is truely pathetic. We have a Republican Governor who is fighting feverishly for the same FEMA funds that his Political party are against.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:15 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
They took no emergency or housing funds from Joplin. They did put a hold on some funds for long term rebuilding projects in order to meet emergency needs in flood devastated ares.
All the while were rattling our sabres over in the middle east with tax payer funds

i say bring the troops home and the dollars home and then we will have enough for both joplin and the eastern u.s.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
No one is saying FEMA funds has anything to do with the power. We're stating the Impact of the Hurricane across 8 states. The fact that folks are minimizing the impact because it occured in "Liberal" states is truely pathetic. We have a Republican Governor who is fighting feverishly for the same FEMA funds that his Political party are against.
I don't care whether these are Liberal states or not.

But I do see some hypocrisy here. The same people who are screaming to TAX THE RICH want to take money from poor people in Joplin and give it to the "rich" on the East Coast.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
I stand by my statement, I lost half of my home this weekend. Do you honestly think I'm sitting here worrying about the folks in Joplin? I can tell you right now, Joplin's not worrying about NJ which is evident. My heart was with them before August 27, 2011, now the focus is on me and my family. By the way, where did I say you didn't understand?
Here we go blaming each other, there is no money because we refuse to raise taxes. How will we ever pay off that Credit Card by making minimum payments.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I don't care whether these are Liberal states or not.

But I do see some hypocrisy here. The same people who are screaming to TAX THE RICH want to take money from poor people in Joplin and give it to the "rich" on the East Coast.

Who said anything about taking money from Poor people in Joplin? Again folks need to take it down a bit. What I'm reading is those of us across 8 states should just bite it. What I'm clearly stating is CONGRESS need to figure it out. I'm not trying to hear about Joplin.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It's not new claims. It's money for longer term projects that was promised and they now are saying your on your own cause the libs in NY need it more.
Hurricane Irene Washes Away Catskills Town in Upstate New York | Video - ABC News

Many of the people in the upstate region are not 'libs' as you would like to fool yourself into believing. They're suffering as much as the people in Joplin. The good people of MO are fortunate that the tornado wasn't as large across as Irene was, which impacted multiple states and tens of millions of people, with damages estimated to cost as much as $1,000,000,000.00; $45,000,000.00 to NYS's agricultural sector alone. Here in the east we are fortunate that the death toll is currently only 45, whereas the folks in Joplin's losses were much greater for a significantly smaller population. My heart goes out to everyone.

People in both areas are hurting. It doesn't matter what color their state is -- stop trying to politicize it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Here we go blaming each other, there is no money because we refuse to raise taxes. How will we ever pay off that Credit Card by making minimum payments.

I'm not blaming anyone. What I'm trying to understand is WHY this ugliness towards millions of American's who have just faced the worst weather in their area in 10 years? The respones I've seen so far is because this occured in Liberal states, which is truely pathetic.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Not only are roads under water but they are collapsing underneath cars. So far roads on two major highways have collapsed in New Jersey. I'm not sure if this has occured in any of the other States. Folks need to thing before they attempt to run their mouths. I lost everything in the lower level of my home. Three of my relatives have more than likely lost their home because of the amount of flooding. I'm thankful everyday that my children are safe. But you best damn believe with the amount of taxes I pay each year on top of Property taxes, I'm not trying to hear about Joplin right now.
Do you know how long the people along the Missouri have been under water?

Just asking about that since it has been so long. I sympathize with all of you who were close enough to Irene to be flooded so badly, however I do not think that we should just forget those people along the Missouri, and lower Mississippi and the people of Joplin. You saying you aren't trying to hear about those other people sounds bad but it is easy to understand how you feel the way you do.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Exactly. And stop telling me how many homes are without power. That has nothing to do with FEMA funds.

Also, please keep in mind the disparity in wealth between NYC and Joplin, MO. I think it will be a lot easier for New Yorkers to go without for a little while. I am reminded of when my sister in Orange County CA was evacuated due to fire. They had a Red Cross shelter set up and it was totally empty, but the Ritz Carlton was totally booked.

Please, PLEASE don't forget the people of Joplin:
Aerial Photographs of Joplin Before and After the Tornado - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

FEMA is NOT going to NYC!

The people who were hardest hit in NY STATE are farmers and those living in rural communities. The people in VT are largely working poor.

MANY people watched homes being washed away by floods -- tell me is it any less painful to have your home float away than to have it blown away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies