Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Good god tell me this is not true , total bull crap....
you have a tropical rainstorm and the cry babys on the east coast get the federal dollars

shows you - the votes are on the east coast ..... good example of what a mess this country is in righ now . this is sick
Your post is void of facts and logic and with very good reason. You did not bother to get the facts and statistics...you just sucked up what right wing talking heads allowed you to. The fact that the right wing politicized this event and the disasters that it caused is pathetic and disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Good god tell me this is not true , total bull crap....
you have a tropical rainstorm and the cry babys on the east coast get the federal dollars

shows you - the votes are on the east coast ..... good example of what a mess this country is in righ now . this is sick
Is it fair or right Joplin lose FEMA funding? Heck No.

Go to WCAX TV's Facebook page and check out photos of the flooding and devastation. Those hundreds of thousands of people impacted in Vermont (much of the state), NH, and upstate NY are far from crybabies. They, too, have lost homes, loved ones. They, too, are just as deserving of FEMA funding.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
What the hell happened to everyone lending a helping hand to their neighbor? Now it's all about "Me, Me and Me!" We truly need to go back to the old ways of doing some physical work instead of standing there and b|tching about who is going to pay?.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
I wonder if anybody saw the post the other day that mentioned the flood of the Missouri River that affected only about 6 states down to where it flows into the Mississippi but all of those states below that confluence. I haven't seen one damned thing about that flood on TV in weeks although the water is still flooding and affecting all kinds of lives.

How many have seen the pictures of Joplin taken after the tornado? I am wondering if "first come, first served" might not be a good way to go. That would put all the Missouri victims at the top of the list.

I feel just as sorry for all the victims of Irene as anybody else but I just don't like the fact that that one was hyped so long and finally became the only thing you could see on any newscast anywhere. Oh yeah, DC, Philadelphie, NYC, Boston were all in the path but hell they had a lot more warning about it than Joplin did. Joplin had maybe 15 minutes and those people had days and days. Of course, none of them could do a damned thing about being in the path of a hurricane like that one and all the flooding it caused.

How about the farmers and cities that got floated away by the Missouri River flood? Do they deserve any aid from FEMA? Maybe the man is right that we should disband FEMA and just hand out federal money to all victims of natural disasters. There isn't enough in the till to help them all but we must do what we can do.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Is it fair or right Joplin lose FEMA funding? Heck No.

Go to WCAX TV's Facebook page and check out photos of the flooding and devastation. Those hundreds of thousands of people impacted in Vermont (much of the state), NH, and upstate NY are far from crybabies. They, too, have lost homes, loved ones. They, too, are just as deserving of FEMA funding.
I agree--Joplin and the other tornado areas should not have their funding reduced, no way.

But people who just say "oh, it was just a little rainstorm" might as well wear an "I am ignorant" sign. People's homes and businesses are destroyed, roads are flooded or washed out, thousands still have no power and a lot of people simply cannot get to work or it's taking them three hours to drive a few miles because their route is underwater or the highway has caved in.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The Hurricane did not only touch on NY and NJ, but also PA, CT, NE. There are still thousands without power and thousands without homes.
Millions without power as of this minute.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder if anybody saw the post the other day that mentioned the flood of the Missouri River that affected only about 6 states down to where it flows into the Mississippi but all of those states below that confluence. I haven't seen one damned thing about that flood on TV in weeks although the water is still flooding and affecting all kinds of lives.

How many have seen the pictures of Joplin taken after the tornado? I am wondering if "first come, first served" might not be a good way to go. That would put all the Missouri victims at the top of the list.

I feel just as sorry for all the victims of Irene as anybody else but I just don't like the fact that that one was hyped so long and finally became the only thing you could see on any newscast anywhere. Oh yeah, DC, Philadelphie, NYC, Boston were all in the path but hell they had a lot more warning about it than Joplin did. Joplin had maybe 15 minutes and those people had days and days. Of course, none of them could do a damned thing about being in the path of a hurricane like that one and all the flooding it caused.

How about the farmers and cities that got floated away by the Missouri River flood? Do they deserve any aid from FEMA? Maybe the man is right that we should disband FEMA and just hand out federal money to all victims of natural disasters. There isn't enough in the till to help them all but we must do what we can do.
Honestly the Joplin Story was on for weeks in the lame stream media and I am still hearing about about it for different news outlets regularly.

I remember the Missouri river floods run at the top of the news for about a week and a half.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree--Joplin and the other tornado areas should not have their funding reduced, no way.

But people who just say "oh, it was just a little rainstorm" might as well wear an "I am ignorant" sign. People's homes and businesses are destroyed, roads are flooded or washed out, thousands still have no power and a lot of people simply cannot get to work or it's taking them three hours to drive a few miles because their route is underwater or the highway has caved in.

Not only are roads under water but they are collapsing underneath cars. So far roads on two major highways have collapsed in New Jersey. I'm not sure if this has occured in any of the other States. Folks need to thing before they attempt to run their mouths. I lost everything in the lower level of my home. Three of my relatives have more than likely lost their home because of the amount of flooding. I'm thankful everyday that my children are safe. But you best damn believe with the amount of taxes I pay each year on top of Property taxes, I'm not trying to hear about Joplin right now.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Millions without power as of this minute.

I hears close to 2 million total across all the states impacted.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Guess if your entire town is flattened and 160 folks killed your on your own. Gotta get those elevators working in NY.

Now it's up to congress.

"Josephson says it'll be up to Congress to restore full funding to disaster areas including parts of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee."

Some FEMA money for Joplin on hold after Irene | KMOV.com St. Louis
FEMA is almost out of money. We are fighting for the scraps while the rich reap the profit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies