Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sure, let's get nostalgic...

Yes, we should be just like Galveston, circa 1900, when a hurricane killed somewhere between 6,000 and 12,000 people. Here's how they dealt with it:

Daily Kos: With Hurricane Irene ready to strike, Ron Paul says we don't need FEMA

DeadlyStorms.com - 1900 Galveston Hurricane (http://www.deadlystorms.com/storms/1900/1900%20Galveston/index.htm - broken link)

We don't, what we need is states to take more responsibility for such occurrences themselves and leave other states with the option to choose to assist each other. This way, we reduce the reliance of states on the federal government to which uses such as a means to bully them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
in some ways I agree with him;having experience hurricanes. FEMA is just another mid level mangement between congresss who apporpriates money and states and local officals who actually deal with the emergency.Its like adding another middle man to doing anything really.I thnik nayone who saw the past help that is assigned to FEMA sees that they just slow things down by adding another layer of red tape to long existing local and state emergency mangement.In this latest hurricane I think after two years or so people should question their local officals in just what its like dealing with FEMA.I my area the dealys it causes by the added red tape just meant that local and state officals realised that they needed a large rainy day emergency fund at both levels to stop the delays which cost more money and keeps progress bogged down.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
BTW, dd you know that it's the Illinois National Guard that's helping out in VT since their own NG units are in the Middle East somewhere? Shameful!
This might be a good point... if the governor of Vermont had been the one that decided to invade the middle east.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
This might be a good point... if the governor of Vermont had been the one that decided to invade the middle east.
I'm not sure what YOUR point is. The VT Nat. Guard is not available. Period.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
Ron Paul has disturbed me lately with his insensitivity...I think FEMA and all government organizations need some "overhaul." There are a lot of things to examine...But there is a "time and place" to bring things up. (Or "mouth-off.) Right now a lot of people are suffering. I think some sensitivity is needed and tact and diplomacy etc. Otherwise politicians may come across as callous and uncaring to many voters...I didn't care for the way Ron Paul acted during an interview awhile back ago when FAA employees were working without pay. He seemed callous and insensitive then too...His recent behavior turned me off. I won't be voting for him in the primary anymore...I'm proud of Gov. Chris Christie of NJ for standing up to his cronies when it comes to keeping FEMA funded. Christie seems to care about the welfare of the people in his state and this is the way it "should be" as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 61,184 times
If all the people from a state were trained in the areas needed for an emergency and the state put aside monies monthly and yearly and kept a storage warehouse of needed emergency supplies, then when disaster struck, the people themselves were already trained and ready to help their neighbors and would be closer to the scene and thus provide a much faster resposne time. It would save money and time and lives. If we built buildings with the Monolithic.com concept we would have more safe locations and less insurance. Each state would care for its own. Thus eliminating the need of FEMA and thus save millions from the federal budget.
Of course common sense is not the rule of the day. Greed is.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM

80 posts, read 108,606 times
Back in 1900, we didn't have highways either, so lets elliminate those highways and park those cars. FEMA has done a wonderful job except under Bush during Katrina, but those were poor black families so that was different.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Ron Paul has disturbed me lately with his insensitivity... Christie seems to care about the welfare of the people in his state and this is the way it "should be" as far as I'm concerned.

Chris Christie tells teacher she doesn't have to teach - YouTube

Chris Christie: "It's None of Your Business... That's it." - YouTube

Christie is a guy who speaks "blunt terms, sometimes to
a shocking level"
So does Ron Paul

Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
For a doctor, Paul certainly doesn't have much "bedside manner". This is not the time to talk about dismantling FEMA. My friend in NH says it's bad there, the worst she has ever seen.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
There is no telling what we might be facing in our area someday...Earthquakes are showing up in unusual places these days...Tornadoes go where they want to go and hurricanes are starting to develop "minds of their own" now too!...It's easy to talk in "general terms" when we're not the ones who are facing a natural disaster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies