Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The trouble with your line of thinking is that when a state is struck with a disaster the very people you expect to show up to help could be the very same people who need the help. If you store all emergency supplies locally---without FEMA/federal backup---and that location happens to get destroyed by a tornado, fire or flood, how does that make sense if you can't get outside emergency supplies brought in because we've disbanded the infrastructure to do that? If the people needed to distribute those stored goods, can't get to them because of wide spread damage, how does that help? I also don't understand how anyone can think it's going to be cheaper for the tax payer to shift the FEMA responsibilities to the states. We'd just be paying higher state taxes so the bottom line would be the same. FEMA had its problems in the past but we need to continue fixing them, not throw out the whole system.
And the trouble with your line of thinking is that you really don't understand what Ron Paul is saying. Ron Paul doesn't want each individual state to handle it's own emergency response alone. Ron Paul wants the states to work together without the Federal government stepping in and dictating how things are done. It's pretty common knowledge that when the fed takes control of a program the efficiency of that program drops. There's no reason why the states can't work together to take care of themselves. We wouldn't be paying higher taxes when you consider that FEMA is paid for out of our income taxes which a lot of us don't pay, I'd much rather pay taxes to my state for handling emergencies than paying it to the fed so that they can carve it up and use it in political ways however they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
One realistic example of the states being unable to respond effectively during emergencies is Vermont. The majority of the Vermont National Guard equipment, like their helicopters, is in Afghanistan. Other states (New Hampshire, Illinois) have had to send people and equipment in to deal with the flooding from Irene.

We are one country, and are not 50 independent individual states. United we stand...
We are indeed 50 independent individual states that stand together, hence the United States of America. Your example is exactly what Ron Paul is talking about, New Hampshire and Illinois could easily step up to help without FEMA being around.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And the trouble with your line of thinking is that you really don't understand what Ron Paul is saying. Ron Paul doesn't want each individual state to handle it's own emergency response alone. Ron Paul wants the states to work together without the Federal government stepping in and dictating how things are done. It's pretty common knowledge that when the fed takes control of a program the efficiency of that program drops. There's no reason why the states can't work together to take care of themselves. We wouldn't be paying higher taxes when you consider that FEMA is paid for out of our income taxes which a lot of us don't pay, I'd much rather pay taxes to my state for handling emergencies than paying it to the fed so that they can carve it up and use it in political ways however they see fit.
States working together to give emergency relief to one another. Where have I heard that before? New flash: all Paul is suggesting is that the states create a twin to FEMA without the FEMA name.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
States working together to give emergency relief to one another. Where have I heard that before? New flash: all Paul is suggesting is that the states create a twin to FEMA without the FEMA name.
No, not really. FEMA is funded by federal income taxes that some Americans pay and FEMA is run by the federal government, not the individual states therefore FEMA has the power to make choices and control state agencies which it shouldn't do. Ron Paul simply wants states to take control of their own emergency response and eliminate millions of dollars of middle man bureaucracy and finger pointing.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
Ron Paul is a shill for billionaires and a fascist (they call themselves libertarians now).
Why do the billionaires finance the campaigns of everyone else but Paul and the libertarians? Why does Paul want to do away with corporate person hood, make corporations and executives liable for their actions, end the creation of money by private banks, end corporate welfare and end the influence of corporations buying favor from the government is he is in their back pocket????

Do you understand how fascism works? It take government working WITH corporations which is what we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
FEMA is a scheme to allow billionaires to make more money by monopolizing cleanup efforts with no bid contracts. There were over 4,000 Katrina deaths, and FEMA was proven to be a massive failure. FEMA wasn't around until around 30 or so years ago. Most federal agencies are just schemes used by corporations to pillage the working class.
Sadly people are duped into believing the opposite, the elite have done a good job on some people (see above).

Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Which is exactly what several states have been doing with regards to the fires burning in Texas, AZ, OK and other states. Fire crews and equipment have been traveling among those states for months as they each help to battle these wild fires.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
No, not really. FEMA is funded by federal income taxes that some Americans pay and FEMA is run by the federal government, not the individual states therefore FEMA has the power to make choices and control state agencies which it shouldn't do. Ron Paul simply wants states to take control of their own emergency response and eliminate millions of dollars of middle man bureaucracy and finger pointing.
Well, if Illinois and New Hamshire are helping Vermont (whew!) who is supposed to pay the bill? There will always be a need for a "middle man" to co-ordinate.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, if Illinois and New Hamshire are helping Vermont (whew!) who is supposed to pay the bill? There will always be a need for a "middle man" to co-ordinate.
Why can't Vermont be the middle man?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Why can't Vermont be the middle man?
"Vermont" is not a person. Who in Vermont? And more to the point, who bears the expenses when states "help"? Is this like getting charity to pay for your health care?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times
States officials are subject to corruption too. If states manage natural disasters (basically) on their own I'm sure there will be plenty of no-bid contracts among cronies in each state...And I doubt that everyone will stand up and cheer if they wind-up having to pay higher and higher taxes to their state...Some ideas sound great on paper (and in "theory") but implementing them is another story...Passing the "buck" over to the states might open-up a "can of worms" that could be just as bad or worse...I try not to be too idealistic or gullible when I listen to politicians talk because I don't want to get "burned" or disillusioned or "taken to the cleaners!"...I am open to "new ways of doing things." But I want hard and concrete proof that the "new ways" will work out better in the long-run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies