Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:36 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Companies in the last 40 years have seen increased profits. They should use some of that profit to increase wages, so there would be real economic growth.

Real economic growth will occur when the value of the dollar is restored. Today consumers have little money left over at the end of the week because the dollar has lost significant value. Shutting down the Fed's printing presses and raising interest rates will restore the value of the dollar. When that happens consumers will be able demand the goods and services they cannot afford today. When demand increases business will hire. This is as simple a case of Carternomics vs. Reaganomics as I've seen in 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Well, that's your opinion.

I don't think companies should put profit over well being.

The reason why you have been seeing a decline in customer service is because maybe people aren't happy with their wages. Don't you think? People aren't getting paid enough for the hours they work. People in the last 30 years have been working longer hours with flat wages.
No, in regards to publicly traded companies, thats the LAW not my opinion.

In regards to private companies, what you are suggesting is that you would like to legally enforce charitable donations.

A workers wages should be directly tied to the value that they add to a business.

If people are not happy with their wages, they are free to find new jobs. When I worked in retail I busted my butt to do everything possible to help the small business owners I worked for, and then the larger corporations I worked for. In each instance I was rewarded with progressively higher hourly rates and also opportunities for over time.

Although I am not currently an hourly retail employee, my current employer does a good job of measuring and recognizing the value that I add to the business, and compensates me accordingly.

What arbitrary rules do you propose that government imposes to dole out this "extra" money?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Does anybody actually think the Repubs are the people that can deal with the problem?

Wage Stagnation, Growing Insecurity, and the Future of the U.S. Working Class :: Monthly Review

Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
There will never be a legit economic boom without increased wages for employees.

Why do you think wages are stagnated?
You have the cart before the horse. You can't have increased wages until you have real economic growth, and this can only happen when businesses have reason to expand and hire.

There is so much uncertainty about the future, nobody can plan. The Obama administrations policies are the largest factor, and of those policies, Obamacare may be the largest, because of the cost to business.

There are so many things stuffed into that albatross, such as increased regulations, and who knows what else? We are still learning of new rules, etc. that were part of that piece of crap legislation. This is why it simply MUST be overturned, and the sooner the better.

There is your problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Does anybody actually think the Repubs are the people that can deal with the problem?

Wage Stagnation, Growing Insecurity, and the Future of the U.S. Working Class :: Monthly Review
I don't think Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Conservatives, Progressives, Communists, or Martians are the ones to "deal with" the problem. The less government is involved, the better employers can manage their businesses, and in turn better care for their employees.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Employees are seeing more of their compensation received in health insurance benefits as the cost of medical treatment has soared due to government restricting supply and subsidizing demand.

Low-wage earners are less likely to get benefits. Furthermore, companies put 59% of their incomes to profits and 41% to compensations.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So artificially inflating wages beyond their actual value to a company is a way to create economic growth?

Maybe another good idea would be to make lots of loans to people to buy houses they cant afford, think of all the new home owners we would have!
Obamanomics at work.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, in regards to publicly traded companies, thats the LAW not my opinion.

In regards to private companies, what you are suggesting is that you would like to legally enforce charitable donations.

A workers wages should be directly tied to the value that they add to a business.

If people are not happy with their wages, they are free to find new jobs. When I worked in retail I busted my butt to do everything possible to help the small business owners I worked for, and then the larger corporations I worked for. In each instance I was rewarded with progressively higher hourly rates and also opportunities for over time.

Although I am not currently an hourly retail employee, my current employer does a good job of measuring and recognizing the value that I add to the business, and compensates me accordingly.

What arbitrary rules do you propose that government imposes to dole out this "extra" money?

Workers are putting in more values into firms than what they get back in compensation. In fact, there has been increase in employee productivity.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Low-wage earners are less likely to get benefits. Furthermore, companies put 59% of their incomes to profits and 41% to compensations.
Do you have a link to show the study that found those results?

Also, regardless of if its true, do you have some justification to prove that it is bad and propose a way that government should force companies to shift those percentages?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:59 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:

If low wage earners are to lazy to get an education or learn a trade then that is what they get. rewarding failure is Americas biggest problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies