Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times

Advertisements

A police officer at each polling place

The ballot box situated right beside the signout table so the person assigned to the ballot box can hear that you gave a name and address to the signout table and they checked it off.

A ballot box where the ballot ain't going anywhere until the person assigned to it turns a crank (maybe it's more high tech now)

A ballot box where you can only put in one ballot at a time, two or more together they won't go in crank turn or no crank turn

The counting done in groups of two. One person laying the ballot flat on the table and reading off the names. (with the ballot flat on the table it would be obvious to any witnesses if he was reading the wrong names) and the other person giving a check to the appropriate person (his paper also flat on the table so if the first person says "Perry" and the other person gives a check to Obama it'll be obvious to all witnesses

Voided ballots (like when someone messes up and asks for another one) not thrown out but VOID written on them and put in the ballot box

The ballot box closed with a seal so if it's opened between the polling place and the election commision they'll know. There's also other stuff involved besides the seal in closing the ballot boxes here in Cambridge Massachusetts. It's been a long time since I worked as a warden at the polls so I don't remember but I do remember it was a pretty complicated procedure

The ballot box taken to the election commission in a police car accompanied by the warden (or maybe the clerk, I forget)

Oh yeah, and if somebody comes in and asks if somebody else voted they don't get an answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
None, because we use machines.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
In our township it is very informal.

Everybody knows everybody kind of deal.

Last election I took one of our dogs in the township hall with me.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
None, because we use machines.
None of those?? Then what security measures do you have?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Who uses written ballots any more?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In our township it is very informal.

Everybody knows everybody kind of deal.

Last election I took one of our dogs in the township hall with me.
Very informal as in no security procedures? Not even the seal on the ballot box? Or can the person delivering the box to the election commission make a little stop to add more ballots

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
None of those?? Then what security measures do you have?
none really. Just say your name and sign. That's not security, I could say I'm one of my neighbors and sign their name. They don't look at the handwriting, besides, they're not handwriting experts anyway.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Who uses written ballots any more?
What do you use and what security measures do you have?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Do you even have any paper records or is your "security procedure" blind trust in whoever it was that programmed the machine?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
What do you use and what security measures do you have?
We have electronic ballots. You walk in, type in your name, it looks you up on the registration list and you press a button for who you want to vote for.

That is it. There is no 'ballot box' there is no physical counting.

I trust a computer program which had five regressive testing procedures done on it by independent parties than a few people who could be slipped $20 to lose a few ballots. Putting faith in paper records over electronic ones is nothing short of foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies