Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,764,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm a horrible writer, but it's truly astounding to me that some people don't know the difference between "their" and "there" or "your" and "you're"
Or...bear or bare or whether or weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
You guys don't seem to understand this isn't a "liberal v conservative" issue.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,764,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You guys don't seem to understand this isn't a "liberal v conservative" issue.
Quite right!!! It is an issue of the dumbass education system in this country these days.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 PM

14,053 posts, read 15,087,663 times
I hate when people notice flawed grammar and then say You messed up your grammer

Old 09-18-2011, 05:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,331,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I have been known to do all those grammar mistakes both in IRL and on this board .It does not make you look dumb.Not everyone is an english writing major .
You are surely right about the major. However, in 1952 the first time I took my college's English Proficiency test I was amazed that they allowed only three errors in spelling and grammar on the whole paper. We went into a room, were handed the day's topic and began to write. Since we were limited to 2 hours total time there was little time for going back over it.

Our topic that day was what I think about spring. When we went in there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground and it was coming down heavily. The day was the day before Good Friday, some here don't know when that day is, and we were all going home for Easter holiday that evening.

Well, I was a smart assed kid back then and I changed the title to What I think about Spring in Kansas, and took off on a totally negative track. I knew the old gals who would be reading my paper knew me very well and they would be very humored by what I wrote. Anyway when it is snowing at that time of year I am always a bit nasty, but I wouldn't even care if we got about 2 feet of snow tonight, since we are so dry.

I knew people who took that test every semester and just couldn't pass it. One guy was on time 8 when he finally made it and graduated soon thereafter. He was about to run out of under graduate subjects when he finally got out. The school no longer makes people take that test and I think it is very obvious why.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,331,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
emilybh !!! ... Precisely !

Goshdawg iffin you ain't said ah dang mouthfull !

Some of these hear fellers on CDF jest don't knowd ah thang about good ole "Southern Style" writtin ... ain't it pitiful !

Dawggonnit y'all has got ta keeps on ah keepin this bunch straight with thar spellin an all !!! Keep Em Straight Y'all !

Teachin certain fellers ta spell an all be as hard as tryin ta herd cats ! ...

Cheers ... Capt. Morgan be ah callin Old Sgt. Lamar one mo time tanite !!!
So your commanding officer, these days, is Captain Morgan. I have never tasted that one since I always liked vodka and then switched to scotch. I haven't been allowed to drink a lot in my reclining years by my wife. Well there are some doctors who don't like it, either. When I was in the Army I had a pretty good tolerance built up for vodka but I did like to drink it with 7Up.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,484,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I have been known to do all those grammar mistakes both in IRL and on this board .It does not make you look dumb.Not everyone is an english writing major .
Let's just say it doesn't enhance your credibility. Everyone should know basic grammar and word usage. We aren't talking about good writing skills. I'm just talking about what every 6th grader should know before moving on to the 7th grade-- the basics--certainly nothing fancy.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,671,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
All teachers or just some of them. I can guarantee you that there is one fewer today than a year ago. My wife retired this spring and the inability of kids to read and write was a lot of the reason since she is only 62. She just couldn't take them and the younger teachers who don't give a damn any longer.
As a teacher, did your wife notice her students' inability to properly use the adjective "Democratic" starting around the early years of the Bush administration? That must have driven her nuts.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,352,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You don't read your comments before you post?
If it's a problem with homework, neither them nor their parents are reviewing what was written.
You don't think out your comments before you post? How on earth do you think the problem was caught in the first place?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times
Typical C-D thread, starts out with an OP:

Mistakes you make that make you look dumb

And it winds up totally hijacked and off-topic...

Boy I love C-D

Anyone up for discussing the migratory path of Canadian geese during the fall months when the Earth tilts 10 degrees off it's axis and there is a meteor shower over Brazil?

Since we are not going to fix America's education system nor uncover the roots of it's failure here in this thread we might as well talk about another subject that's just as futile...

Can you make a swiss cheese omelet at the North Pole without any implement to cook the eggs on...

-or-

How do you clean up a dogs diarrhea with only your bare hands on a pristine beach in Samoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies