Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It isn't a laughing matter, guys. My kid's in the same boat-excellent, EXPENSIVE education and no where to go with it. HE was lucky to have a job at Starbucks, too, till he got laid off.

There are literally millions of middle-class (soon to be formerly middle class) Americans waking up and smelling the poo. We are asking you to join us. This isn't an issue that should divide us between red or blue ideologies. This is a CLASS division, and it couldn't be more clear- the top 1% are trying (and succeeding) to make a permanent class of indentured serfs out of the bottom 99%.

Those anecdotal stories you posted are funny in an "Animal House" sort of way, but there is no point in laughing at the other guy because you think it's funny that HIS side end of the rowboat is leaking.

Join us!

No thanks. According to Darwin, you guys are supposed to die off so those of us that are "fittest" can survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM

143 posts, read 122,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Ah, well. I imagine that Thomas Jefferson would be all for these Americans engaging in protest. "Every generation needs a new revolution".

As for Mr. Cain: telling millions of unemployed people that they are to blame is not the best political move one can make.
This is where the Repubs are missing the boat. When functional unemployment is in the double digits, your going to get unrest. Most people are not motivated to take a shot from a billy club and get arrested so they can get "free stuff." People take to the streets when they feel they are no longer being heard. The Tea Party came about for the same reason. Its the same bad economic situation that spawned both the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street. The biggest difference is one blames the corporations and one blames the government. I submit they are both right. The government sucks because it has failed the people by being nothing more than be a bloated, incompetent wealth redistributor to favored private industries, snuffing out real innovation and true entreprenuership, while the private industry is screwing everyone because it has no moral obligation to the economic health of its country and a government it has bought and paid for. This too big to fail mentality and the subservience of government to the highest bidder and not to the will of the people is why we find ourselves in this predicament. I expect it to get worse until we move beyond the red and blue mentality and start looking for real solutions beyond the current name calling.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The church is commanded to meet the needs of the poor.
Granted.

Quote:
It's not the role of government to do that.

There is no Biblical basis for this statement. It is nothing more than right-wing ideology. You can try to clothe it in religious terms, but this has nothing to do with religion, and certainly nothing to do with Christ.

The extreme Right is just as crazy and wrong as the extreme Left, and neither of them are approaches of which He would approve.

Quote:
If the government provides an unending supply of free stuff there will always be people to consume it.

That isn't what is being proposed. More binary, absolutist thinking, eh?

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Look at my last post. I'll tell you what's sick, though.

I am a man, an individual. I have always taken personal responsibility for myself. But an individual who takes personal responsibility for himself has no say in whether his job gets taken away, or why there are no others to replace it. Are those people who lost everything in the stock market crash a couple of years ago (401Ks, etc) and lost their jobs and then lost their homes due to foreclosure to blame for this? Personal responsibility?

According to you lemming right-wingers, who listen to the empty and cynical platitudes of the rich monied class, the same ones who rip you off and then try to make you feel as if it's the poor and not them who are screwing you, the collapse of jobs and the economy is the fault of those who are the ones most adversely affected by these forces. Talk about sick mentality? That's some sick-ass mentality there. And what kills me is that the middle class and poor, who are affected most by the greed of the upper class, fall for this idiocy.

Wake up, sir. That's my only advice for you.
I have seen my jobs be affected by the market 5 times. So when you lose a job you can sit around and blame others pick up your government checks or try to take responsibility for getting another job.
Most of us will at one time lose jobs and 401 k money, you can sit around like you and blame others or take responsibility for your own life. You wan tot blame i want to take responsibility for my life. You want to blame others. I worry about taking responsibility for my actions.
Sorry to hear you think individuals wanting to take care of themselves is somehow sick mentality.
The fact you think its a sick mentality to want to take responsibility for your life rather than blame others shows much what the left thinks

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your post makes no sense. You must support Obama.
You're the one who said that you like Cain because he'd appoint experts who are lacking in knowledge.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Get over yourself people! Seriously, I am annoyed by the current tax structure. I came out with 21K in student loans for a 5 year architectural engineering degree. I make good money and am paying it back. Yes, I agree 30K for a art degree is stupid. An engineering degree that trains me to do something worthwhile is a good investment. However, I see the current tax structure, the greed of the corporate wealthy, and the disapearing of the middle class a bad thing. You people are just useful idiots that support this and join the group to rile up hating on the under privileged and struggling people of society. That is what Jesus would do, isn't it? Hypocritical idiots.
You worked hard, and these people need to as well. Nothing is stopping them besides their desire to NOT WORK HARD and to SMOKE DOPE. They are lazy. Don't cut them any slack.

They need to shape up, because right now they are doing nothing to help this country.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
The tea party does their protesting at the ballot box. The wall streeters probably don't even know who the president is.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Tea Partiers can read? Maybe on a 4th grade level......................
considering they're the ones with jobs instead of camping out in the street...yah...I'm guessing they can read.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She's using the same twisted logic the left used to try to demonize the tea party. Pick the most extreme and ignorant and hold them up as representative of all.

The usual partisan stupidity.
Exactly right....thank you

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,391 times

someone should tell her that they don't tax on capital losses

boo friggin hoo. it's called the market honey, prices go up and down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies