Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because it's one of the few supposed "sins" that most people themselves will never have to deal with, which makes it an easy scapegoat to condemn and still view yourself as the righteous godly one.

Divorce, adultery, gluttony, greed, sabbath breaking, etc. are all very common in the Christian community which makes people want to turn a blind eye to them.
So this is an important issue if you are a devout Christian? because its a sin? and the political party you (not you personally)endorse must have Christian values and thereby espouse the supposedly sin of gayness, but what about atheists or those not following any particular religion why would the gay issue be important to them politically? And if it isnt important to them politically why are all the rightwing candidates expected to follow this concept of being gay is somehow a sin,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've noticed much vitriol directed at gay people for the last year or so, being somewhat ambivalent on the issue i havent given it much thought but now that it seems to be a political issue especially from the right i've been wondering why do people care whether some one is gay or not and why is it important politically?
To me whether some one is gay or not is about as relevant as whether some one has blonde hair or brown hair.
Did i miss the memo as to why this issue is important?
Newsflash: there's a lot of, well, dumb people in society. Essentially, that's what it is. People are raised certain ways, but there's no excuse once you're 40 or 50...then, you're just an idiot.

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
It's as sinful as eating shellfish is.

The West Wing- Bible Lesson - YouTube

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So this is an important issue if you are a devout Christian? because its a sin?
Yup. Among evangelicals and fundamentalists in this country, gays and abortion are the 2 biggest sins apparently. For some odd reason, an issue barely even discussed in the Bible, and with a lot of ambiguity and mistranslation surrounding it, all related to 2 people of the same-sex being romantically in love, is somehow viewed as extremely evil. Go figure. I don't see how love can ever be a sin so long as both parties can legally consent.

Quote:
and the political party you (not you personally)endorse must have Christian values and thereby espouse the supposedly sin of gayness, but what about atheists or those not following any particular religion why would the gay issue be important to them politically? And if it isnt important to them politically why are all the rightwing candidates expected to follow this concept of being gay is somehow a sin,
In general, atheists don't really care about gays. Some find it icky on personal grounds, merely due to societal stigma of certain activities, but in most of my dealings with atheists, they are generally far more accepting of gays than conservative Christians. Largely due to them using reason, logic, and education instead of blind faith and false interpretations of an ancient book.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Newsflash: there's a lot of, well, dumb people in society. Essentially, that's what it is. People are raised certain ways, but there's no excuse once you're 40 or 50...then, you're just an idiot.
Some people feel that if they don't criticize gay people then others will think that they are gay

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

608 posts, read 923,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Some people feel that if they don't criticize gay people then others will think that they are gay
There may be some truth to that...Anyone that's ever read anything I've posted knows that I'm a Conservative, but bashing people for their bedroom activities??? C'mon man! I'm personally not for or against the "issue" since a person's sexual orientation really isn't an issue, or even anyone else's business to begin with. As far as religion, I'm a proud Christian, but I'm also not perfect, nor is anyone else on earth according to the Bible. So...if someone out there really wants to go out of their way to tell someone they're going to hell for being gay, then I hope they're without sin themselves!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Has anybody noticed that Gays getting married is just as boring as Straights getting married? I would rather attend a Gay wedding though! Better food and dress!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Has anybody noticed that Gays getting married is just as boring as Straights getting married? I would rather attend a Gay wedding though! Better food and dress!
Can I come along?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
it shouldn't be an issue.. but the reason why federal government gets involved or needs to get involved is because of injustices and inequality. A gay couple in california is married and enjoys all the benefits of their marriage in california and is transfered by their job to ohio and suddenly now they're not married under the law. THAT law dictates how private entities treat their employees as well. I know of 2 cases where one spouse was covered by the other's medical insurance for cancer treatment, and when they had to relocate here to idaho, they were no longer married and his employer's insurance dropped his spouse from the insurance. certain laws are protections and in many instances MANDATES certain protections.. for the company to drop the expensive spouse from coverage just made good business sense.. the law no longer applied.. but to the two married adults trying to just live their lives like everyone else and face everything that comes their way in life.. is it fair and just?
these are the sorts of things that make the issue political.. it shouldn't be.. but it is.. and it's important to know what's happening out there if you don't know much about the issue or are trying to understand the "gay" side of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times

Yeah, apparently there are a lot of memoes that you've missed reading. This link here at this website may be interesting to ya.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-disorder.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies