Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've noticed much vitriol directed at gay people for the last year or so, being somewhat ambivalent on the issue i havent given it much thought but now that it seems to be a political issue especially from the right i've been wondering why do people care whether some one is gay or not and why is it important politically?
To me whether some one is gay or not is about as relevant as whether some one has blonde hair or brown hair.
Did i miss the memo as to why this issue is important?
No, you didn't miss anything...you're pretending. To moral-minded folks, it's an IMPORTANT ISSUE...and always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
It's the death throes of an old prejudice.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Nice to see that 95% of the responses are from good people.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
No, you didn't miss anything...you're pretending. To moral-minded folks, it's an IMPORTANT ISSUE...and always will be.
You'll have to elaborate qg as i dont recall reading anything that says not caring whether people are gay is a moral issue.Although being gay is not my cup of tea i dont see that my indifference to people being gay makes me immoral, i also dont see where two people who love each other no matter the gender is somehow immoral....

Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It's as sinful as eating shellfish is.

The West Wing- Bible Lesson - YouTube

...and I don't see them protesting Red Lobster.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Haven't you heard?

Most people are heterosexuals.
Yes I heard! What horrible rumours!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,461 times
Default My opinion...

I think there is an issue with change mostly. For me, I like to keep our customs and traditions....just as most people around the world would like to keep their own social cultures intact.

What we are seeing these days is a constant barrage from the gay alliance and the liberal left....promoting gay rights...gay marriage..etc. To most people in this country...including myself...marriage is a tradition...a part of our culture....an integral part of FAMILY, and traditionally...between a man and a woman. And that is now being changed in many states to allow same sex marriages.

So do I like it that my state...NY....has accepted gay marriage? No...not particularly...but then again, it isn't something that I get up in arms about. I am a traditionalist...but I really don't care if same sex people get married....although MILLIONS do.

What I completely disapprove of is the gay organization NAMBLA....an organization that is commited to lowering the age of consent of gay men to 14 years old. That is ridiculous, and it is something that should NOT be tolerated or accepted as part of the gay agenda. Now that is something that I WILL get up in arms about if they are succesful.

But to address your question..again...I believe the uproar is about CHANGE mostly. Yes there are religious people out there who believe it is a sin. I am not one of them. I also do not believe that homosexuality is normal. But there are a lot of things in life that I do not think are normal....it is just my own opinion. Do I care if a gay couple in Tulsa Oklahoma gets married? Not at all.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I think there is an issue with change mostly. For me, I like to keep our customs and traditions....just as most people around the world would like to keep their own social cultures intact.

What we are seeing these days is a constant barrage from the gay alliance and the liberal left....promoting gay rights...gay marriage..etc. To most people in this country...including myself...marriage is a tradition...a part of our culture....an integral part of FAMILY, and traditionally...between a man and a woman. And that is now being changed in many states to allow same sex marriages.

So do I like it that my state...NY....has accepted gay marriage? No...not particularly...but then again, it isn't something that I get up in arms about. I am a traditionalist...but I really don't care if same sex people get married....although MILLIONS do.
You're being inconsistent. Tradition in this country includes blacks being inferior and not being able to marry whites, women having no rights and being property, witches and gays being executed,etc. Those are our nation's traditions. What you are actually saying is your personal worldview should remain how you want it, and you don't like when other people who disagree with your worldview challenge it.

Quote:
What I completely disapprove of is the gay organization NAMBLA....an organization that is commited to lowering the age of consent of gay men to 14 years old. That is ridiculous, and it is something that should NOT be tolerated or accepted as part of the gay agenda. Now that is something that I WILL get up in arms about if they are succesful.
100% lie! NAMBLA is not a gay organization. The majority of pedophiles are heterosexual men. And the lowest age of consent laws in this country are in the southern, religious Bible belt states. The liberal states have higher age of consent laws.

Quote:
But to address your question..again...I believe the uproar is about CHANGE mostly. Yes there are religious people out there who believe it is a sin. I am not one of them. I also do not believe that homosexuality is normal. But there are a lot of things in life that I do not think are normal....it is just my own opinion. Do I care if a gay couple in Tulsa Oklahoma gets married? Not at all.
How is homosexuality not normal? What do you mean by "normal"? Is it common? No, although I think it's under represented among humans. It's natural though.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Because some people are control freaks.
I am wondering, would the RW control freaks think it is OK for a Gay man to marry a Lesbian?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am wondering, would the RW control freaks think it is OK for a Gay man to marry a Lesbian?
Apparently after reading many posts in this forum,
that happens quite frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies