Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It has nothing to do with being a majority/minority. It has everything to do with individual rights. Nobody has the right to do something that causes another harm, if you smoke in your own home and you are the only one there, you are free to harm yourself. If you want to smoke within a few feet of me, you are now directly infringing on my individual rights and doing something that has the potential to make me seriously ill.
Agreed. That sums it all up

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
No. I used to smoke, but never thought I was treated unfairly. If you smoke in a room full of non-smokers, even an idiot understands that you are polluting the air they breathe and no on has the right to do that.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What is irritating to me in some work environments is the that smokers seem to think that they should have a cigarette break for 10-15 minutes an hour, every hour while their coworkers are picking up their slack.
boy, that sums it up
you ***** because they smoke then you ***** because they get smoke breaks
most of this crap boils down to one thing
control of others!!
do you talk on your cell phone while you drive??
or in public??
then I have a problem because you are bugging the crap out of me and your phone should be snatched away
while driving and talking you should be pulled over and hopefully arrested
on the spot because you are placing my life in danger!!
why not just shoot cell phone users and be done with it??
all of this is so frigging stupid
" you looked at me""
" you mad me mad""
why do you people do something about your own lives rather than sick your long noses in other's??

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Both of my parents have smoked for a very long time and I've never picked up a cigarette. I don't agree with government mandated smoking bans in private establishments & second hand smoke doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why people don't want to be around it and I respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What is irritating to me in some work environments is the that smokers seem to think that they should have a cigarette break for 10-15 minutes an hour, every hour while their coworkers are picking up their slack.
This. +1

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The minute I stop paying tax money to take care of the poor health of smokers is the minute I stop complaining about smoking.

Are you also wishing to stop paying tax money for a host of other bad health choices? From drinking soda to eating Splenda to going out without sunblock, etc?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
I think smokers aren't the most intelligent group of human beings on the planet, and therefore I look at them as if they are mentally handicapped.
LOLOL!

I don't know why I am constantly surprised by the extremes that some people think in. Yikes!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
smokers are the most rude selfish individuals I have ever met, they should be put in a pipe and smoked. With the exception of a very few.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

417 posts, read 365,777 times
Anyone who purposely puts chemicals into their body that they are told are harmful since they are little kids is not very bright in my opinion. It's the same as if you sit there, day in and day out and touch a burning stove, and then wonder why you are experiencing adverse side effects from it.

And no, it isn't comparable to eating junk food. Certain things we do as humans have varying degrees of harmfulness to ourselves, and excessive drinking or smoking or eating 30 twinkies a day as opposed to one usually go to the top of the list.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
boy, that sums it up
you ***** because they smoke then you ***** because they get smoke breaks
most of this crap boils down to one thing
control of others!!
do you talk on your cell phone while you drive??
or in public??
then I have a problem because you are bugging the crap out of me and your phone should be snatched away
while driving and talking you should be pulled over and hopefully arrested
on the spot because you are placing my life in danger!!
why not just shoot cell phone users and be done with it??
all of this is so frigging stupid
" you looked at me""
" you mad me mad""
why do you people do something about your own lives rather than sick your long noses in other's??

What I find funny is a lot of the anti-smoking crowd that hangs out here is for legalizing marijuana! A little hypocritical if ya ask me!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Are you also wishing to stop paying tax money for a host of other bad health choices? From drinking soda to eating Splenda to going out without sunblock, etc?
Ideally yes. I think everyone should pay for the repercussions of their own choices. You are more than welcome to drink soda every day and eat every meal at McDonalds, but don't ask me to help pay for your medical bills if you do.

On the other side of the coin, if I do something stupid to myself, then I would never expect someone else to help me pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies