Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm a smoker - LOL.

That was meant to be sarcastic, but I decided to delete it anyway. I'm sure the anti-smoking freaks would be thrilled.
I knew it was meant to be sarcastic, as was my response.

I'm not a smoker but do not think smokers should be penalized.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here are a few that come to mind... eating unhealthy foods, driving cars that aren't electric, wearing strong perfume/cologne, drinking alcohol, being gay, being a parent (or non-parent), having tattoos, dressing a certain way, etc, etc. Just about everything will offend somebody, when you think about it!
Funny you should mention alcohol. See, I do have a few vices, one of them being that I enjoy a beer or two on occasion. Like with smoking, drinking beer has a side effect - you exhale second-hand smoke, where I have to eventually expel some urine. Yet beer drinkers do not act as if anyone surrounding them should expect to be exposed to the side effect of their vice.

In other words, when I'm around smokers, my hair and clothes end up stinking from their second-hand smoke, yet they don't take kindly - at all - to the idea that if they're around beer drinkers, they should expect to smell of urine at the end of the evening.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM

386 posts, read 232,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
Not in the least. In fact, smokers treat the rest of society with contempt and an absolute disregard for their comfort, health or well-being. Filthy pigs, one and all.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times
I think they're treated unfair in a couple ways. For example the fact that smoking got banned in ALL bars in many states. Why not just have non-smoking bars AND smoking bars? Theres a lot of bars where nearly all of it's customers got together and smoked, places that non smokers like myself wouldnt have wanted to go to anyways. Why should their gathering place be basically driven out of business or altered into serving a completely different clientele and crowd? Bad for freedom and bad for business.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny you should mention alcohol. See, I do have a few vices, one of them being that I enjoy a beer or two on occasion. Like with smoking, drinking beer has a side effect - you exhale second-hand smoke, where I have to eventually expel some urine. Yet beer drinkers do not act as if anyone surrounding them should expect to be exposed to the side effect of their vice.

In other words, when I'm around smokers, my hair and clothes end up stinking from their second-hand smoke, yet they don't take kindly - at all - to the idea that if they're around beer drinkers, they should expect to smell of urine at the end of the evening.
Where are you hanging out that people still smoke?
Keggers out in the boonies?
You pee on my Louboutins and I am gonna plant a stiletto heel up your butt.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Where are you hanging out that people still smoke?
My family back in Yurp smoke to the point where you can at times cure herring in the living room. I try not to visit in winter when the houses are closed up.

Quote:
You pee on my Louboutins and I am gonna plant a stiletto heel up your butt.
What, and I'm the inconsiderate one? (As if I'm invited to Louboutin-type events in the first place...)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
My family back in Yurp smoke to the point where you can at times cure herring in the living room. I try not to visit in winter when the houses are closed up.

What, and I'm the inconsiderate one? (As if I'm invited to Louboutin-type events in the first place...)
Ewwww, herring, sorry, I forgot about that.
Oh, wait, I'm thinking of lutesfisk, not herring, nevermind.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
Treated wrongly? No. Cigarettes are proven to be harmful to those not smoking them, there's nothing at all wrong about making a law that protects people against second hand smoke.

I don't really see an issue with that. The law wouldn't be necessary if smokers were more considerate... Oh, and it'd be nice if smokers didn't think littering was a law they are excepted from.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Cigarette smokers aren't being imprisoned but are most certainly being threatened with fines if they smoke anywhere in public, even in a private business where the owner would be willing to allow it if he/she could.
And now there are big pushes to regulate smoking in private homes.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:

And when you are out in public you are exposed to all sorts of toxins in the air. You have toxins in your food (unless you grow and process every last bit of what you eat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies