Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, (when society was much more polite) there was a generally-accepted rule around here, and it nearly ALWAYS had good results. The "unwritten rule" (among strangers) was that it was considered rude for a "gabacho" to address a "Mexican" in Spanish. This was because he might speak English, was here in the US, and it was therefore an insulting and condescending assumption. This was the US, and people were addressed in English. If he smiled and answered, "no hablo ingles", then it was fine to continue in Spanish. You could never tell a person's linguistics by his appearance, and this rule invariably produced a lot of good will and respect--I still use it, unconsciously, and have had almost no "negative" results due to its use. Of course, there is the occasional "pend*jo", but these occur in all groups. I realize that in some places today, you'd be awfully "busy" applying this rule, but I'd highly recommend its use as much as possible.
Of COURSE this rule was for use among strangers, sort of a "formality"-friends and family were excepted.....
PS I've noticed the reverse of this also. Whether for good intentions or not, its subtly insulting to be addressed in English in a Spanish-speaking country....it assumes you're not quite "with it". Anyone who needs help, of course, almost always finds it, in English. But if it's not needed it can be condescending.
Boy, am I old fashioned !!!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 AM

156 posts, read 150,847 times
I refuse to speak to anyone in Spanish in this country. We speak English here and they can learn it or get the hell out as far as I am concerned. They do not deserve any special consioderation whatsoever under any circumstances. The same goes for anyone here from any country.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post
I refuse to speak to anyone in Spanish in this country. We speak English here and they can learn it or get the hell out as far as I am concerned. They do not deserve any special consioderation whatsoever under any circumstances. The same goes for anyone here from any country.
It is certainly your right and privilege to disagree with me.....BTW, you are going to have to forego the use of "No" in favor if "Negative" in your conversations--if you say "no", you'll be speaking Spanish.....hope this will not be too cumbersome...

Last edited by macmeal; 08-25-2007 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM

131 posts, read 648,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
In many ways, the US is a bilingual country. Time to adapt, or be left behind. I forgot what the figure was, but a working command of Spanish and English has a positive effect on income potential.

HIGHLY DEBATABLE!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Here is good news!!!!

"Eating a small, 1.6-ounce bar of dark chocolate every day is good for you. Very good for you, find Mary Engler, PhD, RN, of the University of California, San Francisco, and colleagu".
It's actually a 45 g bar of dark chocolate.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
When I get a foreigner on the phone, I immediately ask for the supervisor. Usually that person has less of a thick accent, or is fluent in English. Funny how that works....

Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Indeed. If they are a tourist that's fine. But if they live here, atleast ATTEMPT to learn english.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post
This is a rather moot point. You realize, of course that most of the Spanish speaking folks in the United States came here in violation of the immigration laws. I don't agree with you, so let's agree to disagree agreeably. Bye.

My son had his first day of pre-school and his teacher announced that since there is spanish speaking children in the class she will teach those students in spanish since these children do not know english yet. I was taken back by that, I thought there was an ESL class for children even at the pre-school level, come to find out there is not,because of budget cut backs. And there are parents out there who do not feel that their children should have to learn english. So the communication gap starts here.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I will learn fluent Spanish when they learn fluent English.

Why can't they learn English? What's so hard about learning English? Heck, many communities offer free Englsih classes. They want to work here & get the services -- Learn the language.

If I moved to Mexico, they wouldn't be hugging me & helping me along b/c I don't know Spanish.

I am in Hemet California and there are plenty of places to learn english, people just don't want to even though it is free.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
I refuse to speak to anyone in Spanish in this country. We speak English here and they can learn it or get the hell out as far as I am concerned. They do not deserve any special consideration whatsoever under any circumstances. The same goes for anyone here from any country.
The interesting thing about that is that in Germany and other like countries they learn their language and then learn English. So when they go to whatever country over there they can communicate with the people/businesses. How Ironic that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies