Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,061,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
Well I have had my first experience in Lake County (in the USA for that matter outside of the tourist areas) with an employee not speaking English, and no I did not just climb out from under a rock. I was in a buffet restaurant and there were no more forks. I went up to a lady cleaning the tables to request forks, when she turned and looked at me and said "no speak English". What? Is this Miami? I was a little taken aback, then used sign language to get my point across. I guess I have to learn to mime when I need services. Well I know one Spanish speaking lady that now can say "fork".
it's called cheap labor. Employers provide no benefits(paid holidays, paid time off, healthcare...etc). Most of those employees with language barrier are on a work permit.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM

20 posts, read 101,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
America though should also wake up & put some emphasis on teaching Spanish in public schools are part of the curriculum as they do with English in Asian & European countries. They do this due to business not due to political correctness.
Here in Flanders you get in all public school english and french as foreign languagues and some even have german or/and spanish but that depends the dirrection you choose.

But actually it's very simpel, the method doesn't have to change, the people have to.. I don't have spanish at school so I'm following lessons in evening school.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I was in Target during christmas time in Naples and I asked where something was, I dunno an every day object, there were two ladies that I asked stocking shelves and what not, I got that blank look like their brains suddenly turned off and then the common, no speaka english.. Okay so you can fill out an application, go through and interview, read where to put the products but you can't tell me where something is... Or better yet I went to Mcdonalds for a shake, told her like 4 times I wanted a shake, I couldn't understand her, she couldnt' understand me and I ended up having to ask for a manager to take my order.. Pathetic..
may be employers are to blame ?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle540i View Post
This is becoming more of a problem outside the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando areas. I can understand having individuals who can speak Spanish to assist those who are not fluent in English (YET), however to be in my home country, speaking for all intents and purposes, my country's acknowledge language and not be able to communicate with someone who is being paid to assist me is unacceptable.
once you figure out how this mess is generated...you will point your finger elsewhere.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I have in the past writen emails to companies that I have had the same experience, and guess what with in a few months the staff usually changes and everyone speaks English. As long as people can get a job in the US without knowing English we will continue to have people that come to this country that don't need to or don't want to learn the language. Hence why Miami has so many people that don't speak English, they don't need to learn English to make money. This is truely an issue we in the rest of the country will be dealing with in about 10-20 years. So the cities dealing with it now, need to do something about it today, otherwise the rest of the country will have the same issues down the road.

My mother just became a citizen a few years ago when she came here she learned english, didn't expect the people in the u.s. to learn her language (which is what is happening in this country). I wish that one of the requirements to become a United State citizen was that people had to speak english. I wish that the test to become a citizen of this country was only given in one language ENGLISH.

have you seen "Scare Face"? you will understand how Miami has reached this stage of non-English.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM

131 posts, read 648,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Exactly. If one moves to Korea, Japan, China, Germany, or France, they aren't going to cater to your every whim b/c you don't know their language.

America though should also wake up & put some emphasis on teaching Spanish in public schools are part of the curriculum as they do with English in Asian & European countries. They do this due to business not due to political correctness.
This is a rather moot point. You realize, of course that most of the Spanish speaking folks in the United States came here in violation of the immigration laws. I don't agree with you, so let's agree to disagree agreeably. Bye.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
I had a horrible experience the other day when I tried to cancel my direct debit with my mortgage company. I had to repeat myself several times and even made them repeat it back to me twice to make sure on September 1 I won't have money withdrawn from my checking account. Now, I even told this girl over the phone I sold my house....what does she do? She reads from a script and asks me if I would like to refinance!!! Refi what? I had to cut her off and say 'I AM NOT INTERESTED!'. She read from that script (in bad english) for 3 minutes before I could interrupt. I am going to call back my mortgage company to confirm that my funds withdrawal is in fact cancelled.

Geesh!!! I hate being frustrated!!!
most likely, your call was transfered to India. it's called outsourcing, laying off Americans, and sending jobs offshore. Guess, US companies get tax "discount" for doing that. This policy was sign about three years ago!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
have you seen "Scare Face"? you will understand how Miami has reached this stage of non-English.
Don't need to watch the movie to tell me how we have gotten here, I lived it, born and raised in Miami and unfortunatly still living here (trying to leave).

Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 PM

131 posts, read 648,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
As I have been hunting for jobs these last few months I have started to notice that a few of the job postings actually say you must be able to speak, read, and understand English. Isn't it sad that they have to put that into a job description?
Indeed. Once upon a time in our country, such a thing was not necessary.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post
Indeed. Once upon a time in our country, such a thing was not necessary.
keep up with current "events," it's called Globalisation. The American worker must be more productive, thence compete with foreign work force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies