Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I can't speak to whether someone that the Catholic church made a saint made it into heaven. I can only tell you what the scripture says.
The point is both rich and poor have the same opportunity to lead virtuous lives unaffected by the attachments to world and money.
Anyone can quote scripture and Satan often quotes it himself (if you are a believer). To what end is the quotation used? To be helpful or to cause problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The point is both rich and poor have the same opportunity to lead virtuous lives unaffected by the attachments to world and money.
Anyone can quote scripture and Satan often quotes it himself (if you are a believer). To what end is the quotation used? To be helpful or to cause problems?
That is your opinion. It it is difficult to obtain wealth without sin, without avarice, without covetousness, fraud, and oppression, 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:17; James 5:1-5; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 16:19-

That is probably why Jesus stated that easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than to enter heaven.

You would have to be one greedy dude to have billions with so many people starving around the world.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
As I said before you are attempting to use the literal wording of a cherry picked verse to justify your belief in redistribution of wealth.

I'm sure you'll continue denying it so rather than waste any more bandwidth disputing your intent I'll withdraw from the argument and give you the last word.
I have no problem with redistribution of wealth through taxes, and neither did Jesus. I am however against stealing other peoples wealth.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
I have no problem with redistribution of wealth through taxes, and neither did Jesus. I am however against stealing other peoples wealth.
Redistributing wealth is quite simply legalized theft. Please cite where Jesus states that he is a proponent of wealth redistribution, and I'm not talking about charity.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Redistributing wealth is quite simply legalized theft. Please cite where Jesus states that he is a proponent of wealth redistribution, and I'm not talking about charity.

All taxes are redistribution. As far as taxes go, Jesus said
  • 16 And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. 17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
  • So Jesus was not against taxes to be paid tothe govt., and all taxes are in fact redistributing wealth.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
All taxes are redistribution. As far as taxes go, Jesus said
  • 16 And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. 17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
  • So Jesus was not against taxes to be paid tothe govt., and all taxes are in fact redistributing wealth.
According to your interpretation. I disagree. That quote is in reference to the confusion of Jesus' followers. They didn't know whether or not they should still accept Caesar as their leader or if that would be going against the ten commandments. Jesus made the case for separation of church and state and was telling his disciples that they still needed to abide by Caesar's law and respect the government.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
According to your interpretation. I disagree. That quote is in reference to the confusion of Jesus' followers. They didn't know whether or not they should still accept Caesar as their leader or if that would be going against the ten commandments. Jesus made the case for separation of church and state and was telling his disciples that they still needed to abide by Caesar's law and respect the government.

Step away from the crack pipe. His quote was about whether they should pay taxes. This is fairly common interpretation. I can cite you endless interpretations that are consistant on this point. I don't know if this is just your opinion or the crack dealers opinion, but it certainly is not the concensus.

Not only did Jesus and His disciples pay their taxes, He taught clearly that everyone should, “render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars.” Caesar was the Roman Emperor and the ruler of the known world at the time. Rome was at the pinnacle of its power and Jesus was living under and subjected to their tribute. He stressed that whatever belonged to Caesar should be given to Caesar.
This story is repeated in Matthew 22:17-22 and Luke 20:22-25

Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
That is your opinion. It it is difficult to obtain wealth without sin, without avarice, without covetousness, fraud, and oppression, 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:17; James 5:1-5; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 16:19-

That is probably why Jesus stated that easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than to enter heaven.

You would have to be one greedy dude to have billions with so many people starving around the world.
Sam Walton made it easier for the cold and hungry to clothe and feed themselves. Bill Gates played a major role in a productivity revolution that lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty all over the world. In terms of actual results in doing good for the rest of the people in the world, the achievements of either outshine a thousand Mother Teresas.

When I vote with my dollars, I always avoid the fraudsters and oppressors and focus on getting the most value for my dollar spent. Doesn't everybody else do the same?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Step away from the crack pipe. His quote was about whether they should pay taxes. This is fairly common interpretation. I can cite you endless interpretations that are consistant on this point. I don't know if this is just your opinion or the crack dealers opinion, but it certainly is not the concensus.

Not only did Jesus and His disciples pay their taxes, He taught clearly that everyone should, “render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars.” Caesar was the Roman Emperor and the ruler of the known world at the time. Rome was at the pinnacle of its power and Jesus was living under and subjected to their tribute. He stressed that whatever belonged to Caesar should be given to Caesar.
This story is repeated in Matthew 22:17-22 and Luke 20:22-25
Thanks for the crack addict name-calling. Really mature.

Once again, that is YOUR interpretation of the texts. This quote is often abused by liberals to further their causes, whatever they may be.

Quote:
Those who used this phrase to justify law including tax laws abuse the text for their personal interests and goals. For Jesus neither supported or opposed taxes or Caesar in this passage. He addressed his opponents in a way that forced them to confront where their allegiance was centered.
- Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s | Xenia Citizen Journal
So go ahead and cite whatever sources you want to back up your claim. There are equal numbers of sources that disagree. You cannot PROVE an opinion of an interpretation of text written 2,000 years ago.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,461 times
Next time you are in a hospital, look at the sign on the wing you are standing in, chances are there is a dedication plaque with some rich guys name on it. Before you demonize the rich, do your homework. Many universities, hospitals, and other institutions dedicated to the public good could not survive, or would not exist if it weren't for benefactors. So unless you can pony up the money to do what rich people do, I would suggest you stop whining and get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies