Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You may want to consider using a source that does not use words like liberals and conservatives. That is obviously is a biased interpretation pandering to either side. This a source that uses neither, at least I did not see any.

The Bible Speaks On Taxation (Tribute)
Oh please. It was but one of many that all disagree with your biased, opinion-based interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh please. It was but one of many that all disagree with your biased, opinion-based interpretation.
Rationalize if you want to. But to believe your conservative biased interpretation you would also have to believe that God rewards sin, avarice, fraud, oppression, and greed. If you want to believe Bernie Madoff, is an angel of God that is your business. We continue to come back to the original post, which there is no escaping no matter how much one rationalize it. According to the New Testament and Jesus, the rich are destined for Hell.

Of course, there is something that they can do.

Matthew 19:21

“If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me"

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Somehow I doubt the Christian God is concerned with how much money a person gains but only the way it is obtained. Mammon on the other hand is very concerned with method and rewards the most corrupt.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Somehow I doubt the Christian God is concerned with how much money a person gains but only the way it is obtained. Mammon on the other hand is very concerned with method and rewards the most corrupt.
True, but It it is difficult to obtain wealth without sin, without avarice, without covetousness, fraud, and oppression, 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:17; James 5:1-5; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 16:19-

Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Rationalize if you want to. But to believe your conservative biased interpretation you would also have to believe that God rewards sin, avarice, fraud, oppression, and greed. If you want to believe Bernie Madoff, is an angel of God that is your business. We continue to come back to the original post, which there is no escaping no matter how much one rationalize it. According to the New Testament and Jesus, the rich are destined for Hell.

Of course, there is something that they can do.

Matthew 19:21

“If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me"
You are operating on the false premise that all rich people are evil and engage in evil acts so there is no point in debating any further with you. It's obvious to me that you abhor and covet everyone with more wealth than yourself. By the way, if you are so intent on believing that the "rich" are destined for hell, you should probably consider that you're right behind them. Even a lower-middle class citizen of the US would be considered rich in comparison to the rest of the world. So when are you giving up all of your Earthly possessions? Oh that's right, you're a hypocritical liberal who wants to keep all of his stuff but make everyone else pay more to the pot. Typical. God forbid you PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. "But the rich have more than me, WAHHHH!!!"

And, before you go castigating the rich, perhaps you should recall the bible passages about 'Judge Not, Lest Ye be Judged' AND, 'Let He Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone'. WHOOPS!!! LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE THE ONE GOING TO HELL!!! LOL

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You are operating on the false premise that all rich people are evil and engage in evil acts so there is no point in debating any further with you. It's obvious to me that you abhor and covet everyone with more wealth than yourself. By the way, if you are so intent on believing that the "rich" are destined for hell, you should probably consider that you're right behind them. Even a lower-middle class citizen of the US would be considered rich in comparison to the rest of the world. So when are you giving up all of your Earthly possessions? Oh that's right, you're a hypocritical liberal who wants to keep all of his stuff but make everyone else pay more to the pot. Typical. God forbid you PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. "But the rich have more than me, WAHHHH!!!"

And, before you go castigating the rich, perhaps you should recall the bible passages about 'Judge Not, Lest Ye be Judged' AND, 'Let He Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone'. WHOOPS!!! LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE THE ONE GOING TO HELL!!! LOL

That would appear to be a personal attack, but I am not going to report it because I know that you are just angry because something that you have always believed in has just been shattered and it is tough to take. Just let it sink in and you will be fine.

First, it is not about me. As much as you would like it to be, it is not. It is about the New Testament. I am not operating off of any premise. I quoted you the scriptures in the bible. I never quoted you anything that said rich people are evil, but only that they are living in sin that can be changed. That more than likely they either acquired their wealth through sin or they hold onto it because of sin. It is not my judgment that they or people that idolize them, such as yourself have to worry about.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
hotair2 - what the hell does OWS have to do with Christianity? We are not a Christian nation, and are not governed as such.

Is there a point to this thread, other than yet another attempt to subtly insult republicans?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
hotair2 - what the hell does OWS have to do with Christianity? We are not a Christian nation, and are not governed as such.

Is there a point to this thread, other than yet another attempt to subtly insult republicans?
I am curious. How do think this thread is a subtle attack on Republicans?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
That would appear to be a personal attack, but I am not going to report it because I know that you are just angry because something that you have always believed in has just been shattered and it is tough to take. Just let it sink in and you will be fine.

First, it is not about me. As much as you would like it to be, it is not. It is about the New Testament. I am not operating off of any premise. I quoted you the scriptures in the bible. I never quoted you anything that said rich people are evil, but only that they are living in sin that can be changed. That more than likely they either acquired their wealth through sin or they hold onto it because of sin. It is not my judgment that they or people that idolize them, such as yourself have to worry about.
I pity you, I truly do. To help you overcome your extreme jealousy and hatred of people who have more Earthly possessions than you do, I'll just leave you with these biblical quotes to help guide you on the right path:

• You shall not covet your neighbour's house, you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is your neighbour's.
  • Matt. 7:1: Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
  • Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
  • You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
  • You shall not steal.
  • Leviticus 19:18: Love thy neighbour as thyself.
Give up the hatred and jealousy. Jesus would want you to, and you'll be a much happier person for it. Harboring that much resentment has ill effects not only on the physical body, but also on the soul. Maybe we can start a prayer ring to pray for your salvation since you seem to be in such need.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,103,431 times
Quote:
From the New Testament.

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Now I don't know what God considers Rich, but I am sure that he could find them in the top 1%.
So.....your point is exactly what? That all wealthy people are going to go to Hell?
That's pretty juvenile, if you ask me.
Also, you have to remember--or perhaps you never knew this in the first place--that what Jesus was talking about in that quote was that it's the love of money, and the slavish devotion to it, that can keep a man apart from God. Simply being rich is not an automatic disqualifier for the Pearly Gates, bro. (What about all those rich people who donate millions to charity?)
One last Bible lesson for you: "the eye of the needle" has for years now been interpreted by biblical scholars to be a reference to a gate in a city wall in ancient Israel, which was only about four feet wide; thus camels loaded with goods would oft-times have trouble negotiating the passage and bump into the sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies