Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Please stop with the cortisone BS. What percentage of the mobidly obese can blame their problems on cortisone ?

Your reply goes to the top of your"dumb dumb list" (as you put it).

BTW my parents are in great shape, especially my dad who's in his 80's. And what you so conveiniently left out is that if you don't watch your weight and health when you are younger it will be MUCH worse when you are older.

AND obesity increases most all other health risks and conditions( something you seem to ignore). Let's see your stats on the cortisone excuse?

This country has more and more pansies that blame everyone and everything else for their problems.

And yes those in the 3rd world AND Americans a few generations ago manned up and dealt with their issues instead of making excuses for it.
Show me your stats addressing my first post, then I'll show you mine. I want to know your facts, which should be interesting. Especially on the elderly and their self-infliction. I don't get the connection to the 3rd world and Americans a few generations ago manning up??? Do you actually know what is going on in some of the 3rd world countries? Somalia ring a bell???

The wide use of cortisone is not BS. Cortisol/cortisone is used to treat many different conditions and ailments such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, or breathing disorders, among other ailments. It's the "medical wonder". Not so cheap, easy to prescribe, cures the ailments and conditions, but comes with the side affect of weight gain.

My husband had to take cortisone for about six months due to a lung ailment and research showed that the only "cure" is cortisone. He was not overweight and as a result of the medication he put on weight. He became depressed from the weight gain and felt terribly uncomfortable. The weight came quickly and it took quite a while for him to shed it.

You really need to do some research before you spout your nonsense. You just went up a notch on my dumb-dumb list

Last edited by softblueyz; 11-02-2011 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This is kind of a sad thread.
Yes, it is.
I'm sure most people look at me and think I look great, but I'm in constant pain.
Sorry about your constant pain...I do know what that is like and it affects most every area of your life.
I didn't know people felt so angry about people shopping at Walmart in wheelchairs.
Probably just a few.
I would much rather have an awesome spine and lots of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's what it really boils down to. Every able-bodied person who envies disabled people for using the handicap spot could end up being the person needing it tomorrow. Anyone can become disabled tomorrow. My guess is that they're projecting their own fears about possibly becoming disabled one day.

I think you nailed it here ^^^.

There are a minority of people who abuse the system but really it's not worth giving every disabled person the stink-eye over the minority of abusers. After all, most people who have a handicap sticker need it.

My comments in blue.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Maybe every morbidly obese person can trade spots with someone starving in Ethiopia or Somalia for a month ( without a scooter or public assistance) for a reality check.

Sounds like a win win situation. There's a reason why gluttony and laziness (slothfulness) was considered to be a sin in many cultures of the past.

BTW no one in the 3rd world cries about their handicaps. ( real and imagined) They deal with it.

No one begrudges the elderly and infirmed, most of these other people have dubious or self inflicted handicaps. Obesity NEVER helps a physical condition it only exacerbates it.

That's why most people don't feel sorry for habitual smokers with lung cancer or alcoholics with chirrosis of the liver. They did it to themselves, ignored everyone's advice( including their doctor's) and medical science.
You do realize not all disabled people are overweight and not all overweight people are disabled, right?

I have several disabilities and I weigh 112-115 lbs at 5'3".

Also you don't know who cries about what handicaps in what countries unless you're somewhat magically in their heads.

Using a handicap spot isn't crying about disability either. I don't mind being disabled. I just don't understand why able-bodied people are so judgmental and nosy about it.

And again you are ignoring the fact that most disabilities aren't a result of life choices. My girlfriend has a muscle atrophying disease that was diagnosed at 18 months. She weighs 60 lbs at 5'0". She uses a wheelchair cause she barely has any muscles to move and can't support her own weight or do anything physical on her own except for drive her chair. She uses a handicap parking spot cause she needs the extra space to get out of the car and needs to use the curb cut to get onto the sidewalk. And she's not just sitting around complaining. She's in grad school studying to be an ear doctor.

I'm blind and I used to be deaf and had severe chronic pain for a very long time. Now I have mild-moderate chronic pain. I'm in college studying to be an interpreter for the deaf-blind. Neither of us are complaining. We use the handicap spot if we go out together. We use the elevator and we use the handicap ramp to get onto the bus. If I'm alone I use the stairs and the elevator, but I use the braille on the signs and in new areas sometimes I need a little help orienting myself.

In any case, neither my girlfriend or I really mind having our disabilities. What bothers us the most is other people's ignorance. So this whole image you have of disabled people being gluttonous and fat is just...well, wrong. Do a little research and get to learn about what disabled people are really like before complaining about the disabled based on an image that isn't even true.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 AM

416 posts, read 637,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I would never park in a handicap spot and I'm not concerned by those who do, but I have to ask
...how long have you been a physician?

ah ha moment...but what if said i was a plastic surgeon?

does that make me more or less qualified as a physician to make a judgement call?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Disabled people aren't exempt from having good-quality products. I wonder if people make the same stupid judgments when they see me using an Apple computer. Not all of us are charity cases, thanks.
you miss the forest for the trees?

we can run through the entire list of ADA "diasbilities".....

if you can crawl or climb out of a low lying sports car or jacked up rig, then you are physically capable of parking anywhere else on the lot and not taking up a handicap spot

btw....i do judge you for buying an apple.

be a real man an learn how to piece together and build your own cumputer!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
You do realize not all disabled people are overweight and not all overweight people are disabled, right?

Also you don't know who cries about what handicaps in what countries unless you're somewhat magically in their heads.

Using a handicap spot isn't crying about disability either. I don't mind being disabled. I just don't understand why able-bodied people are so judgmental and nosy about it.

And again you are ignoring the fact that most disabilities aren't a result of life choices. My girlfriend has a muscle atrophying disease that was diagnosed at 18 months. She weighs 60 lbs at 5'0". She uses a wheelchair cause she barely has any muscles to move and can't support her own weight or do anything physical on her own except for drive her chair. She uses a handicap parking spot cause she needs the extra space to get out of the car and needs to use the curb cut to get onto the sidewalk. And she's not just sitting around complaining. She's in grad school studying to be an ear doctor.

I'm blind and I used to be deaf and had severe chronic pain for a very long time. Now I have mild-moderate chronic pain. I'm in college studying to be an interpreter for the deaf-blind. Neither of us are complaining. We use the handicap spot if we go out together. We use the elevator and we use the handicap ramp to get onto the bus. If I'm alone I use the stairs and the elevator, but I use the braille on the signs and in new areas sometimes I need a little help orienting myself.

In any case, neither my girlfriend or I really mind having our disabilities. What bothers us the most is other people's ignorance. So this whole image you have of disabled people being gluttonous and fat is just...well, wrong. Do a little research and get to learn about what disabled people are really like before complaining about the disabled based on an image that isn't even true.
then you miss (yes Im the OP) the original point ( ) of the post.....

yeah its ranting. sometimes its good to vent...better than road rage or in this case parking lot rage.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
you miss the forest for the trees?

we can run through the entire list of ADA "diasbilities".....

if you can crawl or climb out of a low lying sports car or jacked up rig, then you are physically capable of parking anywhere else on the lot and not taking up a handicap spot

btw....i do judge you for buying an apple.

be a real man an learn how to piece together and build your own cumputer!
The Apple computer was the cheapest option for me because it comes with built-in technology for the blind and deaf-blind. With other computers, I'd have to pay $1200 just for the software alone--and that's not including the computer itself. That costs more than just buying an Apple, which isn't just the software but the computer too. But see, most people don't know that so they probably just look at my computer and think I'm trying to be hipster.

I don't know how to build a computer from scratch and I'd venture to guess most able-bodied people don't either.

There are plenty of disabilities where you can climb or crawl in/out of a car but walking is hard. Balance disorders, foot disorders, and cardiopulmonary disorders come to mind.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
then you miss (yes Im the OP) the original point ( ) of the post.....

yeah its ranting. sometimes its good to vent...better than road rage or in this case parking lot rage.
I was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez
BTW no one in the 3rd world cries about their handicaps. ( real and imagined) They deal with it.
So I guess antarez really misses the point of the thread...and the point of handicap parking too.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Let's move on to the next pet peeve about parking. Now days, I am seeing stores reserving the best spaces for "Parents with children" or "Expectant Mothers". This is getting of control.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:

Tried to rep you. I think mental deficiency is a disability, under-diagnosed, and clearly many suffer from such. If only they could overcome their disability they may be able to create a life for themselves.

Kudos to those businesses that recognize and accommodate people who overcome their disabilities as those who face challenges in life and overcome them are by far stronger people than those that have been blessed without experiencing the same. But, having said that, the most able bodied person in good health can end up in a car accident, no fault of their own, or any other accidental situation, or have their system attacked with disease, and find themself in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. People who enjoy good health never think that it could be taken away from them.

I know two people who lived happy healthy lives. One lost an eye through an accident and the other, a young girl of about 28 years of age, is a parapalegic due to a car accident. Neither are bitter people and make the best of each day. It amazes me how healthy people can be bitter over other peoples health issues which they know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies