Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM

416 posts, read 637,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yo there! As i stated in the original thread. I am severely gimped up and i have two 4wd vehicles. One is an S-10 pick up and the other is a full size Bronco that is stock height and it is a ***** for me to climb into but i love that old truck and have had it for years and it was a ***** to climb up into from day one. It is my right to drive what i want and you just seem to be a jealous person thinking that people with disabilities should lead such mediocre lives. Your time is coming Sonny! Don't worry i won't rag on you or laugh at you either.

I had a water patrol officer inspect my little jon boat with a 5 hp motor and the young fellow told me he thought i had no business out on the lake. I guess he thought i should just stay at home and watch TV. I just listened to his drivel and went my way.

You have a right to OWN whatever you want but that ignores the fact that driving what you own is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT. so I don't care what you own but permitting it is another story...

who am i to "judge" others...well I am sure you have seen the same people I have park their low slung or jack'd up rigs in handicap spots, pop right up out of the vehicle, walk with no effort at all into the store.....humans are judgemental in everything we do.

nice reply with the troll thing tho.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 228 times
I am disabled and am sick or seeing people with handicap tags parking in handicap spots that walk perfectly fine I wanna snatch their tags outta their cars. Trust me there is no pill that can make you have that good of a day. I still limp on a good day

Old 08-14-2018, 06:59 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
When I was going through chemo and recovery, people would say things to me or on a few occasions leave a nasty note on my car because I was young, overweight (gained 80 pounds during treatment), and looked relatively healthy if you didn't realize the reason I was sporting a buzz cut was because my hair was falling out.

I might have looked relatively normal walking into a store, but what you didn't see was that every breathe was a struggle and that I had ZERO feeling in my feet. My oncologist insisted I get a handicapped placard against my protests because I kept falling in the parking lot. He was afraid I would fall and no one would see me, so parking closer to the door helped. I also qualified on my lung damage alone.

As normal as I might have seemed to the naked eye walking in, people rarely saw me walking out: leaning onto my cart, severely out of breathe, arms and legs shaking. For the 6 months out of chemo, grocery shopping took a lot out of me.

I would even park in the handicapped spot at the gym. The only way I was going to recover was to work my muscles and expand my lung capacity. The worst comments were at the gym - I had one woman block my car saying that I shouldn't be parked there if I could work out. I wonder why there are handicapped spots at the gym, then?

Do people abuse the spots? Sure. But not every disability means someone is going to be visibly distressed.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Probably. This is the third or fourth hate-on-the-disabled CD thread I've come across. I guess hating on the poor got old.
Wait--Why do we even have theses spots for the disabled? I am constantly told that they dont want to be treated any different than anyone else...

Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There's fraud and abuse all over the place. I recently saw a guy in a new Corvette park in a handicap space. I looked at the car to see the blue wheel chair tag hanging from the rear view mirror and it was manual transmission. I watched him walk in a normal way to the store entrance. Couldn't imagine his health condition but I guess you can get a 'handicap parking' tag for any dumb excuse reason. He probably wanted one because the parking spaces are double wide and his Vette wouldn't get door dings.
it's hard to say... 30 years ago, the car I drove to work and for errands, etc., had a manual transmission. I drove it even when I was pregnant with a broken leg in a cast. /shrug

I didn't have a handicap placard. Didn't think I needed it. Might be a different story for someone else, and they'd be perfectly justified in using a temporary placard.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
The thing that doesn't make sense is that handicapped people are exempt from paying public parking meters. I get that they need a close-in space, but why shouldn't they have to pay like everyone else?

That said, doctors themselves can be to blame for renewing these parking tags unnecessarily. I know someone who had a fall 15 years ago and sprained her ankle. She still has her hang tag, and uses it all the time - even when the parking lot is empty. She is 120 pounds, plays tennis, belongs to a gym, and is completely healthy.

Wish I knew the doctor's name. I'd like to report him.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
Doctors are so afraid of being sued most will pass out handicap forms without argument.

Recently I saw a middle aged couple and what looked to be a teen daughter all overweight but not obese using mobility carts at Wmart. Is it even possible that they all were handicap.

BTW, the US is now so overloaded with handicap and fake handicap that legitimate handicap must find parking in regular spots.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
People look at me funny when I use a Constanza cart in Walmart. I can see it in their facial expressions. Sometimes it's just a glance. Maybe they don't notice my cane. Lately I've been wearing shorts in. My jeans or long pants covers up my prosthetic leg. Even if they see I am an amputee, what they don't see is the struggle I have with my stump. Too much walking on it could lead to rubbing a bad place in it causing it to bleed, hurt like crazy and possibly become infection meaning I either lose more of the leg or die from sepsis.

Full disclosure. Before I became an amputee and started using the Constanza carts, I sometimes thought that the obese people I'd see rolling through the stores probably didn't need the carts. What I realize now being older and wiser is that they have a lot of issues, too. They may have fibromyalgia which I'm glad I don't have because I understand it can hurt like hell. They can have foot and knee issues. I have issues with my remaining foot as well as my nee on that leg. If one of them goes, I'm probably not accomplishing my goal of hiking to any of my favorite Carolina waterfalls when I get the new leg.

Bottom line: be careful judging people. You have no idea the ish they are going through.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There's fraud and abuse all over the place. I recently saw a guy in a new Corvette park in a handicap space. I looked at the car to see the blue wheel chair tag hanging from the rear view mirror and it was manual transmission. I watched him walk in a normal way to the store entrance. Couldn't imagine his health condition but I guess you can get a 'handicap parking' tag for any dumb excuse reason. He probably wanted one because the parking spaces are double wide and his Vette wouldn't get door dings.
Fraud is an understatement. I also work in a building where a guy owns a brand new manual Corvette with the handicap sticker and parks in the same spot every day.

When did handicap people need brand new manual sportcars? You have be pretty damn healthy to drive a manual car, with a small cabin, that has 400+ horsepower.

What's next? Lamborghini owners need a handicap permit too?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
I just realized we're relying to a seven year old thread and the person who restarted it is new and this is their only post thus far. It's still a good discussion to have, I suppose. Just strikes me as odd that when this thread was started I had all my toes and both of my legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies