Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
I work in a grocery store as a cashier, here are my experiences:

How do you tell a person is about to pay with food stamps compared to someone who's not? The food stamp person will have at least one or two grocery carts filled to the brim with food. Most certainly included in these carts will be at least $75 worth of meat (steaks, bologna, chicken, hot dogs, polish sausage), at least a six pack of soda (the 20oz variety), and there is always candy somewhere in there. Many canned vegetables and frozen entrees as well. The average bill for these people is at least $200, while $300 and $400 ring-ups are not uncommon.

The people who don't use food stamps select their items more carefully. Usually it is a gallon of milk, bread, bananas, and eggs. The higher end of these ring-ups are near $100, while most commonly if they hand me a $20 bill to pay with, I usually hand back change.

There is a big difference. I'm not saying people shouldn't be helped, but I believe the government gives them too much help. I think the benefits should be scaled back, which would cause food stamp recipients to spend smarter, use coupons, and stop wasting tax payer money on junk food. Also if people were not given so much money for food, they would be forced to try to improve their situation, though I understand some people are trying to and some just can't due to disabilities. As it is now, food stamps are a sort of a reward for being poor because people seem to be eating better on food stamps, than they would be if they had to foot the bill themselves. That is just wrong and sends a poor message to working stiffs like me.
Good post. My grandparents worked in a grocery store during the '30s Depression so that they knew their family would eat. In college working at a resturant, grocery store, or washing dishes at a sorority were well known ways of how to earn food/meals on a low income tight budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies