Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder to the "compassionate conservatives" here, many of those drawing food stamps are our fine young men and women serving in the armed services. So next time you go off on one of your rants about the dependent useless people drawing food stamps find a serviceman or woman and tell them to their face, their reaction sould be very enlightening for ya, as soon as you wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just a reminder to the "compassionate conservatives" here, many of those drawing food stamps are our fine young men and women serving in the armed services. So next time you go off on one of your rants about the dependent useless people drawing food stamps find a serviceman or woman and tell them to their face, their reaction sould be very enlightening for ya, as soon as you wake up.
I don't think anyone is against those who truly need food stamps taking advantage of the program. It is the active promotion of the program to enlist more on the entitlement rolls and go after populations not traditionally using food stamps, like college students, which illustrates the problem.

Maybe the Obama administration could cut subsidies (a.k.a stimulus funds) to Obama's donors and bundlers in "green energy" if our service men and women are being paid so little that they must be on food stamps. How many meals would the loans to Solyndra or Jon Corwins investment firm, or the $10 million for DOJ/BATFE to buy guns for felons from Operation Fast & Furious buy?

Is Casper outraged by Obama using our service men and women in undeclared wars for the profit of the globalist banks and Big Oil (see Libya, Uganda)?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't think anyone is against those who truly need food stamps taking advantage of the program. It is the active promotion of the program to enlist more on the entitlement rolls and go after populations not traditionally using food stamps, like college students, which illustrates the problem.

Maybe the Obama administration could cut subsidies (a.k.a stimulus funds) to Obama's donors and bundlers in "green energy" if our service men and women are being paid so little that they must be on food stamps. How many meals would the loans to Solyndra or Jon Corwins investment firm, or the $10 million for DOJ/BATFE to buy guns for felons from Operation Fast & Furious buy?

Is Casper outraged by Obama using our service men and women in undeclared wars for the profit of the globalist banks and Big Oil (see Libya, Uganda)?
Yes, there are, read more of the posts here on this thread and site before replying to me on who wants what fo whom.
Congress is charge of he budget, not the President, or didn't ya know that, I se the cost cutters there are Still funding NASCAR, yes there is a wise investment of our tax dollars.
A few fly overs in Lybia and very limited numbers doing humanitarian work in Uganda is not supporting Big Oil or Banks, That would be Iraq, done you YOUR guy Dubya and we got zip out of the deal and lost Trillions, not to mention thousands of killed and wounded, does THAT bother YOU?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Have you ever shopped in a store where most the customers were food stamp and WIC users?

Those people don't need to shop around, they don't see it as their own hard earned money like a working person must. They don't think anything of "buying" a $5 gallon of milk because for them it's all free food. They do bring prices up because the stores know they don't care about prices when it's all free.
I love the stereotype. I used to get FS, and I couponed and shopped sales and made mine last. I now no longer get FS, and I teach couponing classes and they are very well attended by those who get FS.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Have you ever shopped in a store where most the customers were food stamp and WIC users?

Those people don't need to shop around, they don't see it as their own hard earned money like a working person must. They don't think anything of "buying" a $5 gallon of milk because for them it's all free food. They do bring prices up because the stores know they don't care about prices when it's all free.

When I had food stamps, I shopped around just as I always do. It made no sense to me to settle for 2 boxes of mac and cheese when I could get 3 boxes of mac and cheese at a different store with the same food stamp dollar.

Since food stamps are intended to be supplemental, they're not intended to cover all your food for a full month.

But yes, some people are just lazy or maybe they're too lazy to do the math or maybe they're not able to do the math. I always make it a game to see how far I can stretch my food dollar or my food stamp dollar.

I've learned that even pricier supermarkets occasionally have super specials worth pursuing, and that reading the weekly ads pays off.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Winning!

Yes, Obama has managed to increase the number of US residents using food stamps to an all time high of 15% of the US population. Let's hear a big round of applause for the foodstamp POTUS from all his supporters!

Some 15% of U.S. Uses Food Stamps - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Raise the minimum wage to equal the amount used to qualify for Food Stamps. No one would qualify for Food Stamps then

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
......A few fly overs in Lybia and very limited numbers doing humanitarian work in Uganda is not supporting Big Oil or Banks, That would be Iraq, done you YOUR guy Dubya and we got zip out of the deal and lost Trillions, not to mention thousands of killed and wounded, does THAT bother YOU?
You are behind the curve in your homework. Look it up, we have threads about JP Morgan and BP being direct beneficiaries of Obama's "NATO" undeclared war in Libya, French Total will be cashing in too. There is big oil not secured in Uganda as well which the US, France and China all want to control.

Yes, it makes me very angry that our troops are being used for the globalist agenda and losing their lives as a result. This but one of the reasons I support Ron Paul.

Less waste in government and wars where our national security has not been directly threatened means better services for the very poor who need it most and really have no other safety net. Abuse of "entitlements" should neither be tolerated nor encourged. Social programs, specifically food stamps as it applies to this thread, should not be used to buy votes. This administration is using them to do just that.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Uh, no, that would be the Marxist redistributing the wealth of American manufacturing and industry to 3rd world countries.
To paraphrase a fictional Spaniard, "That word, it does not mean what you think it means."

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
I work in a grocery store as a cashier, here are my experiences:

How do you tell a person is about to pay with food stamps compared to someone who's not? The food stamp person will have at least one or two grocery carts filled to the brim with food. Most certainly included in these carts will be at least $75 worth of meat (steaks, bologna, chicken, hot dogs, polish sausage), at least a six pack of soda (the 20oz variety), and there is always candy somewhere in there. Many canned vegetables and frozen entrees as well. The average bill for these people is at least $200, while $300 and $400 ring-ups are not uncommon.

The people who don't use food stamps select their items more carefully. Usually it is a gallon of milk, bread, bananas, and eggs. The higher end of these ring-ups are near $100, while most commonly if they hand me a $20 bill to pay with, I usually hand back change.

There is a big difference. I'm not saying people shouldn't be helped, but I believe the government gives them too much help. I think the benefits should be scaled back, which would cause food stamp recipients to spend smarter, use coupons, and stop wasting tax payer money on junk food. Also if people were not given so much money for food, they would be forced to try to improve their situation, though I understand some people are trying to and some just can't due to disabilities. As it is now, food stamps are a sort of a reward for being poor because people seem to be eating better on food stamps, than they would be if they had to foot the bill themselves. That is just wrong and sends a poor message to working stiffs like me.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM

521 posts, read 467,170 times
if you polled only liberals you would see at least 20-30% food stamp usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies